Battlestar Galactica Playback Problems

Community
Search

Battlestar Galactica Playback Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt, I wouldn’t know a compression artifact if it bit me on the ass, but if they look like prints that you might expect from GoodTimes or Madacy (i.e. crappy)... Well, I suppose they’re a little better then my EP vhs copies. A little.

Joe, don’t know what you mean by “way” off topic. Since only 3 of us have posted problems, maybe we should close the thread before I start bitching about what those daggits will likely do with Buck Rogers?

I have a theory on the lack of response: instead of it being an authoring problem, they got a bunch of slightly defective discs. The majority of these are still sitting on store shelves waiting to be purchased or in storerooms waiting to be shipped. We’re just on the cutting edge of a situation that hasn’t really developed yet. Be vigilant. In a coupla weeks, when somebody posts a thread about problems with their BG discs, you can proudly post a link to your thread and ask the poster why the frack he didn’t do a search.

dts, I’m surprised you got a place to buy DVDs in San Diego. Give U.S.Plastics or inetdvd a shot.

Old 10-26-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mattgoble

BTW: How does the picture quality look on the set? Have you noticed any compression artefacts and whatnot? 245mins on a DVD-9 I make to be about 4Mbs which aint brilliant.

Matt

No artifacting that I could see, but the Image quality tends to vary a lot. Studio footage with the actors are nice and clear, while there's a good bit of fuzziness during a lot of the stock footage dogfight and launch scenes. There's also a bit of white dust speckling on the picture. Most of it can be blamed on the source material though rather than any shortcomings with the disk. Overall image quality is really quite nice for a 25 yr old show.

As someone said previously though, you kinda wish they'd used all the money they spent on the overblown packaging and used it to do a bit more digital cleanup.
Old 10-27-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn, noticed on disc 2, side 2 (the single-layered side) there's actually some black speckles on the surface that can't rub off! i only tried to slightly rub at it, but didn't want to scratch the surface. i'll take a run thru the episodes on this disc between tonight and tomorrow night to see if there's any playback problems. in the meanwhile, i'd like to ask if anyone else had black speckles on any of their discs?
Old 10-28-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Wizdar,

Disc 3 side 2 played fine for me. However, Part 2 on Disc 3 Side 1 was playing fine for me and then skipped ahead about 20 seconds for no reason.
Old 10-28-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This transfer has enough grain to feed Ethiopia.
Old 10-28-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by waporvare
This transfer has enough grain to feed Ethiopia.
LOL
Old 10-29-03, 06:49 AM

So what's the final verdict? Are there enough problems that new "fixed" boxed sets will be made in the future? I was going to purchase this soon (box and all). Should I hold off for a while and see what happens?
Old 10-29-03, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been renting them and so far there have been minor glitches/hang-up on the 2nd side of the 1st DVD (don't recall where though and it was nothing major). However the first 10 mins or so of the "Magnificent Warriors" (I think that's it 3 ep 2nd DVD 2nd side) is completely unplayable. Aside from the fact rewatching them I'm glad I didn't buy them because of the content I'm certainly glad I didn't buy them w/ all the problems they seem to be having.
Old 10-29-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You’ve GOT to be kidding!

Old skydiver saying: you pays your money, you takes your chances.

I don’t think it’s a big enough problem for Universal to care about. I mean, look at all the work they put into fixing all the film defects, which is to say None At All. (Hell, I doubt they even bothered to try cleaning the print.)

The biggest problem I see is the disc defects don’t seem to affect a lot of players, or else I suspect there’d be more folks posting in this thread. Not counting computers, I’ve got 4 players from 4 different manufacturers. Only my rock, a Pioneer that plays anything including ±R/RW that other players won’t touch, is the only one that had problems.

Aside from BTTF (which was a different issue completely), have any problems like this been addressed by a repressing? I’m still waiting for Disney to get back to me on Monsters, Inc.
Old 10-29-03, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Wizdar
I’m still waiting for Disney to get back to me on Monsters, Inc.
Yeah, you and me both. You'd think there'd be more pissed off people with Pioneer players. Or are we the only ones that have Pioneer players and want to watch the widescreen version of Monsters, Inc.?
Old 10-29-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I try to keep it to myself, but truth be known my DV-414 (I think) was purchased “way back when,” c. 1997? Except for Monsters freaking Inc. and, now, BG, I’ve NEVER had problems – with anything. Hell, I suspect I could put a roast beef sandwich in there and get a better pic than BG.

But I keep it to myself, ‘cause I suspect the first reaction would be, “But your player is so old!” (Well, so am I, toots, but I’m still getting around.)

I have a Philips that won’t play DVD+RWs created on a Philips burner. Go figure.
Old 10-31-03, 08:05 AM
Banned

What is the best way to get the damn discs out of the Cylon deathgrip hubs / cases!?
Old 10-31-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Carefully. VERY carefully.

Sorry, that's the only thing I have to offer, other than to transfer them to another case.
Old 01-04-04, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

My mother-in-law reported problems reading disk 5 in her player. Once I get the set back, I will investigate further.
Old 01-07-04, 12:51 PM

The Epiosde where apollo annouces his engagement and where jolly and Boomer get sick) the audio is out of sync!
Old 01-07-04, 04:32 PM

Disc 3 in my set is defective , refusing to even to bootup to the menu screen! I have 4 players including a drive in my PC, and none will play it! Its gone from BestBuy now, where I got it from, and Universal hasn't answered the email I sent them, very frustrating situation...
Old 01-07-04, 04:36 PM

I have yet to watch anything past disc 2 , so I am worried mine will be defective too! What e-mail address did you use to contact Universal,..mayb eif enough of us write they will issue replacement disks like they did with back to the Future!
Old 01-07-04, 10:48 PM

Heres where to contact them.

http://www.universalstudios.com/home...gi?email_id=10
Old 01-08-04, 11:54 PM

If they refuse to take care of this, I'll be getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau I think...
Old 01-09-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brett, I doubt the BBB could care less.

This is not a widespread problem, so don’t expect Universal to rush out and start pressing a new batch.

Try universalstudios&[email protected] I’ve done some email correspondence using that addy. They seem interested, and are willing to exchange. Only they want a 6-week turnaround time (a standard cover-your-ass shipping disclaimer).
Old 01-20-04, 02:49 PM

I e-mailed them and they are getting me to try it on other systems.
Old 01-21-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, naturally. That way they can convince you there's nothing wrong with your disc(s). You're gonna try it on another player and find out it works, and so blame your player.

You'll find out the problems are very brand/model selective.

When the disc stops at exactly the same place after being replaced several times, it's a problem with the disc.