Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Kolchak:Night Stalker series ever coming to DVD?

Old 01-17-04, 08:43 PM

Is Kolchak: The Night Stalker (the series not movie) ever coming to DVD, if not I will copy all of my VHS versions onto DVD with my panasonic DVD Recorder.
Old 01-17-04, 10:02 PM

I have not heard anything, But I LOVED that show & would love to see season sets released on dvd!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-04, 10:04 PM

me to, the show is fantastic,however at this point I doubt it will ever get released
Old 01-17-04, 10:33 PM

This show, and also "Night Gallery," scared the living hell out of me when I was just a wee tot. They were the only shows my folks would allow me to stay up late on a school night for. I would pick up season sets of these in a heartbeat.
Old 01-18-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If crap like "Saved by the Bell" can make it to DVD, certainly Kolchak will be released at some point. I remember the show when it was aired late night on CBS...did it ever run in prime time?
Old 01-18-04, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Wannabe
If crap like "Saved by the Bell" can make it to DVD, certainly Kolchak will be released at some point. I remember the show when it was aired late night on CBS...did it ever run in prime time?
Yeah it ran on ABC on Wednesday night I believe at 8pm ET. Only 20 episodes were made so a 5 disk box set is not out of the question.
Old 01-18-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About a year and a half ago TRIO broadcast a lot of them under their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series .... yes, a DVD set would be great!
Old 01-18-04, 10:18 AM

Kolshack, along with Project UFO, scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Having it on DVD could always be a possibility as I recall Columbia House selling VHS tapes a while back. CH used to sell Kung Fu VHS tapes and that's finally coming to DVD. So there's always hope for Kolshack.

So, yes, bring Kolshack to DVD... and while we're at it, bring back Project UFO too!
Old 01-18-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd love this on DVD. As well as Season sets of Tales from the Darkside.
Old 01-18-04, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by marty888
About a year and a half ago TRIO broadcast a lot of them under their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series .... yes, a DVD set would be great!
Its on Trio now under the "Brilliant But Cancelled" banner every night at 11pm ET.
Old 01-18-04, 02:26 PM

And just to let everyone know, I was lucky enough to purchase the whole 20 show set on VHS from Columbia House a number of years back, it was only available through them btw, however I sold everyone except one (which I don't have a case for) when I was getting rid of almost every VHS I own, hoping someday they will be released, no big deal if their not oll just copy my friends set on DVD.
Old 01-18-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for long time fans of the show, the Columbia House tapes were a Godsend.
not only were the eps intact, uncut and looking great, but the series also included 4 episodes that hadn't been seen individually in over 20 yrs (they were never included in the syndicated packages).
CH was also soliciting this series on dvd in a few of their mailers a couple years back, but aparently Universal nixed that idea.

some of us were hoping the theatrical release of that monster hunter Van Helsing would spur a tie-in with the like-themed Kolchak, but it doesn't look to be the case, and all the monster material Universal is releasing amounts to the three legacy collections which primarily comprise already released material.
Old 01-18-04, 11:44 PM

If they are released it would be nice if they threw in the two movies(the night stalker and its sequel the night strangler) that preceded the t.v. series.I think that the night stalker(the movie) had the highest neilsen rateing for a made for t.v movie in history , at the time

Last edited by NEUMANN; 01-18-04 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-18-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think the rights with the two tele movies are with MGM now.
they recently aquirred a bunch of ABC circle films (like Straw Dogs) that Anchor Bay had previously put out- i think NS was part of that package.
Old 01-19-04, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by NEUMANN
If they are released it would be nice if they threw in the two movies(the night stalker and its sequel the night strangler) that preceded the t.v. series.I think that the night stalker(the movie) had the highest neilsen rateing for a made for t.v movie in history , at the time
I was lucky enough to find The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler Double Feature DVD at a Barnes & Noble about a year ago.

Does anyone know if this is now OOP ?
Old 01-19-04, 01:17 AM

Since Amazon is selling it for over a 100 dollars used,i would think its oop
Old 01-19-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I grabbed the NIGHTSTALKER NIGHT STRANGLER set last year from CH, one thing about this disc is the transfer for an old television show is incredible, it looks and sounds great.
Sci Fi channel sometimes shows marathons of KOLCHAK so keep an eye out.
also check out the graphic novels from moonstone here
http://www.moonstonebooks.com/kolchak.asp
Old 01-19-04, 11:39 AM
colossus

Originally posted by StrTrkker
Yeah it ran on ABC on Wednesday night I believe at 8pm ET. Only 20 episodes were made so a 5 disk box set is not out of the question.
Friday nights, at 8PM, at least when I grew up in Buffalo.

Old 01-20-04, 02:57 PM

I'd be delighted with a complete set on DVD. A definite must-buy when released.

For those interested, and with money to spare, Gauntlet Press recently released a limited edition (552 copies) oversized book of the Richard Matheson scripts for "The NIght Stalker" and "The Night Strangler". It also includes the as yet unfilmed script "The Night Killers", a bunch of stills, and historical commentary on the TV movies. Gauntlet only got permission for this print run, so it isn't likely to show up at a bookstore any time soon. The catch? $125 for a regular signed edition, $750 for the special edition.... www.gauntletpress.com
Old 01-20-04, 03:19 PM

I got the Stalker/Strangler DVD from CH when I first joined many years ago, and also got the VHS tapes from the CH tv series club. I am DYING to get this show on DVD. To the DVD Gods, please, make it so! Darren deserves your love!!!

Somewhat on-topic: Has anyone been reading the Kolchak comics that Moonstone has been putting out. I love the idea and like seeing the character on a monthly basis, but the art is ass, for the most part. Anyone else getting these?
Old 01-20-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2 TV movies will be released again sometime in the near future, as I happend to know Dan Curtis has recorded commentary tracks for them recently.

No need to pay OOP DVD prices!

I'd buy a DVD set of the series in a heartbeat, but only in the OAR.
Old 01-20-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
The 2 TV movies will be released again sometime in the near future, as I happend to know Dan Curtis has recorded commentary tracks for them recently.

No need to pay OOP DVD prices!

I'd buy a DVD set of the series in a heartbeat, but only in the OAR.
Very interesting info ! I'd sure like to know if anyone has a good idea when this re-release might be occurring. I have a still-sealed copy of the Anchor Bay Night Stalker/Strangler double feature that is going up on ebay the minute I get confirmation of a re-release.

Also, I daresay a new and improved release of the movies may bode well for the possibility of the series coming out at some time in the near future, as well.
Old 01-21-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe "Near" was a little strong. I didn't mean to indicate they'd be out right away. I just know Dan recorded commentaries for those two and TRILOGY OF TERROR last year. I just heard they are planned for 2004.