Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

To all of the people who didnt by Battlestar Galactica JUST because of the Cylon Head

Community
Search

To all of the people who didnt by Battlestar Galactica JUST because of the Cylon Head

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the new edition of Galactica-The Movie the same (somewhat crappy) transfer as the old version DVD (which I already have)??
Old 10-23-03, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cdollaz[br] I'm passing because of the price. Should be able to pick one up in a few months for $50-$60.
Price drop on a set like this in a few months. LOL!

Very unlikely! I suggest everyone to get it now at release date the lowest it'll be for a long, long time.

Do you remember the price on the Star Trek: Next Generation Season sets when they first came out? Each season sets were priced $15-$20 cheaper on release date and after a few months down the road they all shot up to their standard MSRP and remained there ever since.
Old 10-23-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Regurgitator
Price drop on a set like this in a few months. LOL!

Very unlikely! I suggest everyone to get it now at release date the lowest it'll be for a long, long time.

Do you remember the price on the Star Trek: Next Generation Season sets when they first came out? Each season sets were priced $15-$20 cheaper on release date and after a few months down the road they all shot up to their standard MSRP and remained there ever since.
I didn't say it would be that cheap because of a price drop, now did I?

I'm talking about buying it used. Now do you understand?
Old 10-23-03, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cdollaz [br]I'm talking about buying it used. Now do you understand?
You never said anything about buying it used. As if people can read between the lines or even read your mind while reading what you posted.
Old 10-23-03, 10:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wasn't there a toy based around the cyclons. All I remember is the jingle to a TV commercial that went:

"battlestar galactica, cyclon bubble machine"
Old 10-23-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Regurgitator
You never said anything about buying it used. As if people can read between the lines or even read your mind while reading what you posted.
No, but I did say that I would be able to pick one up for that amount in a few months. You are the one that "read between the lines" and assumed I was talking about a price cut when I wasn't.
Old 10-23-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
wasn't there a toy based around the cyclons. All I remember is the jingle to a TV commercial that went:

"battlestar galactica, cyclon bubble machine"
I seem to remember some jingle along the lines of "Battlestar Galactica, space glow putty."
Old 10-23-03, 12:30 PM
colossus

Originally posted by RichardW
I seem to remember some jingle along the lines of "Battlestar Galactica, space glow putty."
Yep, I remember that one...and that damnable, awful jingle...

Old 10-24-03, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cdollaz
No, but I did say that I would be able to pick one up for that amount in a few months. You are the one that "read between the lines" and assumed I was talking about a price cut when I wasn't.
First of all, the majority people here in this forum are discussing about brand new dvds and are buying them new. So for me to think as most others would also that you were buying it new is on the right track. No one would really assumed you would buy it used if you didn't say so. People can't "read between the lines" of what you're thinking because it's way off here in this forum.

Now why I assumed you were thinking you may be able to get it at a price cut? Well, on the condition that most people here were buying it new and at a lower price than it is now a few months later would make sense. Also your initial post was followed quickly after another post to wait for a price drop was another reason.
Old 10-25-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I just hope the release of this set means that the Buck Rogers TV show might show up eventually. Both BG & BR were done by the same guy...right?
Old 12-03-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I just hope the release of this set means that the Buck Rogers TV show might show up eventually. Both BG & BR were done by the same guy...right?
I got this set for my birthday last week and both my girlfriend's aunt and I remarked at the same thime "Now bring on Buck Rogers!" God I loved that show when I was a wee lad!
Old 12-03-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as soon as Universal decides to remake Buck Rogers, i'm sure we'll see the set.
otherwise, like most of their great tv properties, don't expect to see it anytime soon.
was just watching episodes of hulk and BG last night- and i couldn't helpt thinking about BR . i would love to see a nice season set(s) of that but face it, Universal sucks.

i'm holding out hope that the Jim Carey remake of 6 million $ Man goes thru, because i do want those sets (actually i want Bionic Woman more which looks like a real longshot since the R2 discs supposedly didn't sell well).

Back to the BG set;
you may be able to put the digi-pak on the shelf with out the cylon head, but i had forgotten how horrid these hubs are.
i'm going to have to move these to thin paks or amarays and make up some jacket art as i expect to crack these discs one day prying them off of these hubs.
lousy packaging all around, imo.
Old 12-03-03, 06:24 PM
Banned

Those Juevos are cool!
Old 12-04-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by masetodd
Is the new edition of Galactica-The Movie the same (somewhat crappy) transfer as the old version DVD (which I already have)??

Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 12-04-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by porieux
Anyone know the answer to this?
The answer is yes. It's the same crappy (fake-widescreen) transfer. It's basically the identical disc, just with an added commercial for the Sci-Fi [sic] Channel remake.
Old 12-04-03, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by ckolchak
i'm holding out hope that the Jim Carey remake of 6 million $ Man goes thru, because i do want those sets (actually i want Bionic Woman more which looks like a real longshot since the R2 discs supposedly didn't sell well).
As much as I hate to say it, I agree. I detest the idea of an out-and-out comedy remake of $6M, but a tie-in cross-promotion is about the only way we have a chance of getting this show released in America!

As for Bionic Woman (and $6M Man) VHS and DVD releases failing to sell well in the UK: I think the problem there was twofold: first off, some of their episode choices were just plain lousy! They picked "the Price of Liberty" over more high-profile entries as the two Death Probe stories???

Second of all, and perhaps most important, the final DVD released of $6M was a straight RE-ISSUE of a VHS tape that was sold in an exclusive 3-tape set less than a year prior to the DVD coming out! I can't remember how mad I got when I received the DVD (contents weren't noted on the pre-order sites) just to find it was three episdoes I already owned from the three-tape set! It's no wonder volume 4 sold poorly! This caused plans for a DVD box set to be scrapped.

Prior to that, I think a planned box set (or maybe fourth volume) of Bionic Woman was cancelled because of (as you said) poor sales. I wonder if they had chosen some of the better episodes for their earlier volumes, or released a season set, they might've done better.

you may be able to put the digi-pak on the shelf with out the cylon head, but i had forgotten how horrid these hubs are.
i'm going to have to move these to thin paks or amarays and make up some jacket art as i expect to crack these discs one day prying them off of these hubs.
lousy packaging all around, imo.
I agree. I absolutely detest digipacks. I suspect it's just home video industry trying to go back to the cheap way of packaging, like when VHS tapes went from plush, plastic cases to the cheap cardboard sleeves. DVD makers seem to know we won't accept cardboard slipcases for single disc releases, but I guess they figured people won't care for a multi-disc set, especially if it folds out. I'd much rather have individual boxes.

I may have to resurrect the VHS covers I made just a few years ago and do my own cases...
Old 12-04-03, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mythmaker18
As much as I hate to say it, I agree. I detest the idea of an out-and-out comedy remake of $6M, but a tie-in cross-promotion is about the only way we have a chance of getting this show released in America!

As for Bionic Woman (and $6M Man) VHS and DVD releases failing to sell well in the UK: I think the problem there was twofold: first off, some of their episode choices were just plain lousy! They picked "the Price of Liberty" over more high-profile entries as the two Death Probe stories???

Second of all, and perhaps most important, the final DVD released of $6M was a straight RE-ISSUE of a VHS tape that was sold in an exclusive 3-tape set less than a year prior to the DVD coming out! I can't remember how mad I got when I received the DVD (contents weren't noted on the pre-order sites) just to find it was three episdoes I already owned from the three-tape set! It's no wonder volume 4 sold poorly! This caused plans for a DVD box set to be scrapped.

Prior to that, I think a planned box set (or maybe fourth volume) of Bionic Woman was cancelled because of (as you said) poor sales. I wonder if they had chosen some of the better episodes for their earlier volumes, or released a season set, they might've done better.
I'm not sure that Universal UK is much better than Universal US - the two disc Knight Rider and A-Team sets that came out just a couple of months ago are like that too. Instead of duplicating the VHS versions, they re-tread episodes already released on DVD. So anyone getting the series thusfar would get screwed when they got the 2 disc sets.

As it stands between the UK discs and Columbia House, the 2 disc sets only had one or two episodes out of the 6 that I didn't already have. At that price, I'd be better off going with another CH disc.
Old 12-04-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
The answer is yes. It's the same crappy (fake-widescreen) transfer. It's basically the identical disc, just with an added commercial for the Sci-Fi [sic] Channel remake.
How can that be? The original disc was the shortened theatrical cut of the episode. The DVD box includes the full-length TV version.
Old 12-04-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The question was about the re-release of the film version of the DVD, not the one in the box.

Thanks bboisvert, I won't bother to pick that one up.