Future Indiana Jones Box set?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So next tuesday, the Indiana Jones trilogy will be released on DVD for the first time ever. Awesome. But didn't they already announce that Indiana Jones 4 is in pre-production? Double dipping is ok when its a single dvd or two, but a whole trilogy, I don't know about. I am still on the fence about buying this, but leaning towards yes. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter, holding out for a potentially complete box set of the series, or not and just getting the original trilogy next week and then buying part 4 separate?

...or is everyone assuming (and perhaps hoping) that IJ 4 goes the way of the new Star Wars trilogy, and won't even be worth getting?
Old 10-14-03, 06:35 AM

People would be stupid to HOPE for a movie to be bad...

Then again, most people are pretty stupid, but still...
Old 10-14-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So... you're asking if I'm going to NOT buy the box set next week because maybe eventually the 4th movie, which hasn't even started filming yet and may not even be something I want, may eventaully show up on DVD as part of a new box set several years from now?

No.
Old 10-14-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Must agree 100% with Marty888, a real no brainer! DUH!!
Old 10-14-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing for certain: Even if there is another release of Indy, the transfer will NOT look or sound any better than they do now.

Personally, I don't even think they will add more extras other than maybe the original "Making-Of" program with the bonus disc and all four movies. (Of course, Indy 4 will probably be a 2-disc since they will make much of the material for DVD.)
Old 10-14-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If the 4th movie becomes a reality, you can be guaranteed that Paramount will repackage the existing three discs with the new movie for an "Indiana Jones Quadrilogy" type of box set, but they will not remaster the existing three discs. Paramount loves to repackage and rerelease their franchise properties, but remastering is a rarity for them.
Old 10-14-03, 11:03 AM

Since that potential box set won't be out until 2006 at the EARLIEST, I have no problem spending $40 on this set now...I'm sure I can save up another $40 or $50 by then....
Old 10-14-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We beg and beg and beg for these movies to come out. Then people start complaining about a double-dip before they are even released?

Maybe George is right to hold off on the Star Wars Trilogy...
Old 10-14-03, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the 4th movie is ever made and shows up on DVD there's a nice place for in the box already IMHO (where Temple of Doom would be ).
Old 10-14-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buying the 4 disk set at Costco with the $10 off coupon. This is one of the biggest no-brainer DVD buys I will ever have.

Buy it and enjoy, don't worry about what you may not have in the future.
Old 10-14-03, 05:04 PM
Banned

Here it comes

I personally like having the complete anything in whole big Box set, so I understand your dilemma.
Someone here mentioned that the thought this "Quadrilogy" will come out no sooner than 2006. I beg to differ. Since Spielberg has stated he plans the film to come out for the July4th weekend in 2005. I potentially see a "Quadrilogy" set for right around Christmas 2005!!!! This makes total sense so they can capitalize even more.
I definetly will pick this set up, but am very curious to see what they do when they repackage Indy 4
Old 10-14-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll buy the original trilogy in the box set as planned. When Indy 4 ends up going to DVD you know it's going to get a 2 disc treatment. I'll just grab that at that time. I don't know on top of a 2 disc set for Indy 4 which I anticipate, what they could possibly add in another boxset. They would have to make the case holding the DVD's superior to the Scarface set in order to make me double dip on a box collection for these films.
Old 10-14-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's on my xmas list, so I'll have to wait to get it under the tree, but I wouldn't put it off because of IJ4 though.
I can wait until IJ4 comes out, and if it's good, hopefully buy it separately then. If they only do package it as a 4 movie boxset(initially doubtful), i wouldn't double dip on it. I'd just skip it, i won't care how good it is. I'm not gonna give any company the same money twice for the same thing because they won't offer a movie separately.
I think it is very doubtful they won't initially offer the movie separately right after the theatre release to cash in on all the momentum.

I don't envision IJ4 being any better than the first 3 anyway, mainly because new technology like CGI can ruin a movie. Could you imagine the well of souls snake pit being done today with CGI snakes!? No way man. I bet it'll be good, but not another Raiders.
Old 10-14-03, 06:33 PM

No offence, but this arguement is just ludicrous. "Well, maybe I shouldn't buy the Indy trilogy, even though it's one of the most eagerly aniticipated releases EVER.....because, you know, there just MIGHT be another realease to coincide with a POSSIBLE upcoming new Indiana Jones movie." Oh Brother! You know what, maybe you should hold off buying it even if there IS a 4th Indy movie released, because after all.....there just might be another movie after that one, and you wouldn't want to double dip.
Old 10-14-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Buying the 4 disk set at Costco with the $10 off coupon. This is one of the biggest no-brainer DVD buys I will ever have.

Buy it and enjoy, don't worry about what you may not have in the future.
Where'd you get the coupon?!
Old 10-14-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'm getting the damn boxset no matter what. IF they release another boxset down the road, I'll worry about it then.
Old 10-14-03, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Where'd you get the coupon?!
Costco has a bunch of Paramount DVDs which all contain a coupon for $8.50 (CAN) off the purchase price of the Indiana Jones Trilogy.
Old 10-14-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe by the time a 4th movie is released there will be High Definition DVD releases. HDDVD!
Old 10-15-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by BlackCapTen
Maybe by the time a 4th movie is released there will be High Definition DVD releases. HDDVD!
Man, I'm always too late to the discussion. That's exactly what I was going to bring up.