Community
Search

DVD Tracker or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 01:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Tracker or something else?

So I just signed up for a 10 day free trial of DVD Tracker and find it wanting because it is missing quite a few DVDs I own. There are other features that would be useful if I had designed the program but that is beyond my capabilities. Should I pay the $10 to keep it after the trial or do you recommend something better for a DVD collection database? Thanks all!
Old 09-26-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Give DVD Profiler a shot. It's free (there is a spiffed-up version for pay) and many of us on here use it.
Old 09-26-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still using DVDTracker although I may convert to either Gizzlefish or DVDProfiler.
Old 09-26-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DVDProfiler is the best IMO, there are lots of threads on this
Old 09-26-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TomOpus
Give DVD Profiler a shot. It's free (there is a spiffed-up version for pay) and many of us on here use it.
What extras does the paid version offer? I currently have the free version, and I was thinking of upgrading it.
Old 09-26-03, 02:11 PM
SeeNo Member

dvdaf.com works best for me.
Old 09-26-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use DVDTracker and DVDAficionado. They each have features the other doesn't, and together, they provide everything I need. I tried DVDProfiler, but didn't like it. As for missing DVDs in DVDTracker, only a few of mine weren't there, so they didn't take long to add. That's one of the things I like about DVDTracker; you can instantly add any DVD to your collection, even if it's not already in their database.

Rob
Old 09-26-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

dvdprofiler.......lots in international titles......enough said!
Old 09-26-03, 03:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Meatpants
DVDProfiler is the best IMO, there are lots of threads on this

Thank you, I will try to find some of those threads.
Old 09-26-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
If you have a collection of mainly Region 1 titles, then I would recommend Guzzlefish. I recently moved to it & love it. The various statistics are a fun bonus.

It's easy on the eyes as well. DVDAficionado is just too damn big. Even if you have a small collection of 100 discs, it just seems bulky to scroll thru (strictly my opinion). DVDAf has a great selection but since most of my titles are your normal domestic stuff, Guzzlefish is for me.
Old 09-26-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by island007
What extras does the paid version offer? I currently have the free version, and I was thinking of upgrading it.
The main selling point is that the screen shots are hi-res. BUT, I believe that is only if one is available. Plus, the ad window goes away, I think. Anyone out there can add to this?
Old 09-26-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
The main selling point is that the screen shots are hi-res. BUT, I believe that is only if one is available. Plus, the ad window goes away, I think. Anyone out there can add to this?
That's mainly it. It's not why I paid, though--I just paid because I liked the program and wanted to contribute.
Old 09-26-03, 09:06 PM

keep it simple and just add...or start folders...DVDAF is my only site. titles they dont have are added at super speed, for me anyway. they count correctly by title or purchase. I'm a regular donator.
Old 09-27-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I prefer DVDAf also. Has any title that I have looked, loads quick, and I found it quicker to add my titles than Guzzlefish.

The stats on Guzzlefish have never worked for me and/or been updated. I like the way it looks but also like to add movies that I have seen, to see, wish lists and since they are do not have that function nor seperate the wish list from the collection it would take an eternity on my dial-up to use in this manner.

Basically I like the functionality of DVDAf more than the looks/stats of Guzzlefish. Guzzlefish keeps track of cd's also so you can do both at one place if you like (the game one I have found far too limiting).
Old 09-27-03, 01:37 AM

DVDProfiler has the biggest database. Guzzlefish has the most stats.
Old 09-27-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I use DVD Profiler and Guzzlefish. Yeah, must agree with some other posts, what one doesn't offer, the other one does. Between the 2 of them, that's enough. I update my DVD Profiler cover pictures with the "large size" pictures from either Amazon.com or DVD Planet and am happy with those. DVD Profiler makes it easy to replace the cover images.
Old 09-27-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDtracker is STILL the only sight that allows you track your purchase price vs. MSRP, correct? That's what keeps me using it...

But I think I may allow my sub to expire this fall and just keep my stats in an Excel spreadsheet. My Tracker file is becoming so large (700 DVDs) that it is getting annoying to load it via dial-up connex.
Old 09-27-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
DVDtracker is STILL the only sight that allows you track your purchase price vs. MSRP, correct?
Nope, I do that in DVD Profiler.
Old 09-27-03, 09:26 PM

My favorite is also DVD Profiler. I actually look forward to entering new DVDs and updating the profiles.
Old 09-28-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

im using guzzlefish. used to use profiler but i only need one and found guzzlefish the easiest for me...plus it keeps all my collections (cd's, games, dvd's, etc).
Old 09-28-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I use Profiler, AF, and Guzzlefish. They all have different features so I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. There was a thread around not too long ago that laid out the features of all of the software titles so you might want to check that out before making a final decision.
Old 09-28-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have found a couple of the pros/cons between DVDAf and Guzzlefish to be reversed. Guzzlefish took me forever on dial-up to enter dvd's/cd's with both the slow search and site (even in the middle of the night) the culprit.

DVDAf loaded serach results far, far quicker and with the dvd covers stored in cache only the initial loading of the covers was long but the page loads before the covers even if one didn't want to do it all at once.

I also got less than friendly responses from their forum both by mods and users.
Old 09-28-03, 09:49 PM

I like guzzlefish because it provides a nice replacement value for your DVDs, which makes it nice to provide to the insurance company if your collection gets stolen or house catches fire.
Old 09-29-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guzzlefish all the way!
Old 09-29-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i use dvdaf, but ive heard good things about guzzlefish, when i get time i may set up an account there

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.