Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Lion King: Keep or Return?

Old 10-10-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it at Best Buy for 15.99 so I thought Iíd pick it up while it's cheap. I thought I could give it back at anytime (for 30 days). I still havenít opened it yet.

However, since they made ďimprovementsĒ and the fact that the DVD is kiddie oriented (from what I hear) Iím wondering if I should return it or not. Maybe a transfer from an LD would be better? Also, is the AR of the LD the same as the DVD?
Old 10-10-03, 10:45 AM

why in the name of god, allah, jesus, mary, tom, dick, harry, or whoever else you might believe in..... would you return one of the greatest movies of all time?
Old 10-10-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I guess since you don't actually care about the movie and were only interested in seeing SEX in the dust, I'd take it back if I were you and let somebody who actually enjoys watching movies buy it.
Old 10-10-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You will not be able to return in for more money.

Return it if you do not like the movie, I find it to be one of the better Disney movies ever made. And the Sound/Video is fantasic!

But, why would post here about returning it or not?
Old 10-10-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pdjennings
why in the name of god, allah, jesus, mary, tom, dick, harry, or whoever else you might believe in..... would you return one of the greatest movies of all time?
I think we will all be better off not trying to understand......
Old 10-10-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Well I guess since you don't actually care about the movie and were only interested in seeing SEX in the dust, I'd take it back if I were you and let somebody who actually enjoys watching movies buy it.
There's other stuff besides that altered! You know Eisner and his "improvements".

Why would I return it? First off I was never a huge fan of it, so I donít think Iíd be too interested in the extras (which I heard sucked ass anyway). So maybe the way to go is to get hold of a transfer from the LD cause at least this one is 1:1 to the theatrical version.
Old 10-10-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Any other changes besides the new song aren't really noticeable. We al noticed the croc's because somebody started posting pics of that difference up and everything. I bet if nobody knew about it, these kinds of topics would never come up. Because the movie is still the same movie, and if they decided to make something look better in a few frames here and a few frames there as just minor touchups, it's really not a big deal. I would say keep your DVD of The Lion King. The transfer is great, the sound is great, the extras I agree aren't really up to snuff, but you bought the movie at 15.99? Usually Disney movies are at the $18+ range, so you can't go wrong!
Old 10-10-03, 11:41 AM

Sure, return it. Personally, I like it very much and would keep it forever.
Old 10-10-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I mean I know maybe some of you guys out there are buying DVD's and get mad if all the bells and whistles aren't attatched, especially when it would be expected for The Lion King. But The Lion King's transfer is wonderful. Video and audio are terrific and I'd rather have the DVD over a VCD or LD anyday.
Old 10-10-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure I'd consider the Lion King one of the greatest films ever, but I would certainly hold onto the dvd. My young daughter loves watching the disney movies I have on disc, and I can't wait to show her the Lion King.
Old 10-10-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Class316
There's other stuff besides that altered! You know Eisner and his "improvements".

Why would I return it? First off I was never a huge fan of it, so I donít think Iíd be too interested in the extras (which I heard sucked ass anyway). So maybe the way to go is to get hold of a transfer from the LD cause at least this one is 1:1 to the theatrical version.
In the 549,394,597 threads that are currently active about The Lion King PE release, the only two confirmed changes (and believe me, people are looking . . . hard) to the "Theatrical Release" version on the disc, are the changed animation to the crocs and the removal of SEX/SFX from the dust cloud . . . and the former, as many people have stated, would have gone unnoticed if it hadn't been pointed out in forums. Apart from that the other "changes" include improved audio and video quality and a new home theater enhanced 5.1 mix.

If you want to return it because you don't like the movie, that is one thing, but if you want to returning it because of the "changes", you are doing it for the wrong reasons.
Old 10-10-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those who like the sound, R2 seems to have better sound so you've sort of been screwed in that department cause you could have gotten a better one

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3939
Old 10-10-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Unless someone has both regions and compares them, i don't think that the region 2 version is automatically better because it says DTS, (half-rate at that, whatever that means).

As for the keeping the DVD, since you've been known to care very much about small changes like those that were made on The Lion King, just return it.
Old 10-10-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would I return it? First off I was never a huge fan of it, so I donít think Iíd be too interested in the extras (which I heard sucked ass anyway).
Sounds like you just answered your own question...
Old 10-10-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Unless the story has changed from:

Lion is born
learns about cycle of life
makes mistakes
runs away
learns to accept the past and go back
Saves the day

then any small changes isn't enough to take it back. I hate this amount of bitching being done because of a small change. You folks who are looking for a LD transfer.. WHY? Just buy the damn LD for christ sakes. the LD version was nice and all, but the amount of complaints because all this "CENSORSHIP" by disney really is stupid. If you disliked the movie from the get go then why the hell did you buy it? You might aswell take it back and buy something you would rather enjoy, but to complain about the "changes" and want to take it back because of that... sounds like another pointless thread about the evil Di$ney corp. and there methods of censorship.. -ohbrfrank-

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-10-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I love the movie, and thought the disc did it justice. I'm keeping mine.

If you weren't a huge fan of it, why bother picking it up in the first place?
Old 10-10-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Just buy the damn LD for christ sakes. the LD version was nice and all, but the amount of complaints because all this "CENSORSHIP" by disney really is stupid.
LDs are bulky. Plus you can't put it in a PC!

And itís not about censorship itís more about ďimprovementsĒ that Disney likes to make.

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
If you weren't a huge fan of it, why bother picking it up in the first place?
Cause I have the other two Platinums plus the fact that I found it for cheap and Best Buy only has it for cheap at first. Then price goes up. So I figured at the worst case Iíd return it. This way I donít risk regret.

And not being a big fan doesnít mean you hate it.
Old 10-10-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by pdjennings
Even if it were possible to watch the movie without the horrid Elton John musical numbers, I'd still think your praise was overstated.
Old 10-10-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
LDs are bulky. Plus you can't put it in a PC!

And itís not about censorship itís more about ďimprovementsĒ that Disney likes to make.

Cause I have the other two Platinums plus the fact that I found it for cheap and Best Buy only has it for cheap at first. Then price goes up. So I figured at the worst case Iíd return it. This way I donít risk regret.

And not being a big fan doesnít mean you hate it.

Circuit city actually had it cheaper. 14.99 > 15.99

LD's might be bulky, but considering I bought the lion king collectors box set LD for 5 bucks. I would say that the size really doesn't concern me considering I save almost 11 bucks. so in this case, an LD would be better.

If your home theater is your PC then why are you complaining about the size of an LD? You should be more concerned about the Lack of size on the screen you are viewing the film in.

From your comments, you can't see past two little changes to the story, so your enjoyment of the film is lacking, you should have realize that before spending the cash on it. First week releases isn't an excuse to buy a film. considering the columbia house deals and so forth you can always get it cheaper in the long term. it's that case for most disney dvd's. Sleeping beauty was 16-17 when it came out. this week you could pick it up for 5 bucks if you bought the lion king at toys r us.
Old 10-10-03, 01:30 PM

A lot of people connect their PC's to widescreen TV's these days.
Old 10-10-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

return it.
Old 10-10-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean people actually watch DVDs on thier computers?
Old 10-10-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by PixyJunket
First off I was never a huge fan of it, so I donít think Iíd be too interested in the extras (which I heard sucked ass anyway).
So...you're NOT a fan, you heard the extras "sucked ass" and you had previous knowledge about the "improvements" made to the transfer, yet you STILL bought it and started yet ANOTHER thread about it?
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
then any small changes isn't enough to take it back. I hate this amount of bitching being done because of a small change. You folks who are looking for a LD transfer.. WHY? Just buy the damn LD for christ sakes. the LD version was nice and all, but the amount of complaints because all this "CENSORSHIP" by disney really is stupid. If you disliked the movie from the get go then why the hell did you buy it? You might aswell take it back and buy something you would rather enjoy, but to complain about the "changes" and want to take it back because of that... sounds like another pointless thread about the evil Di$ney corp. and there methods of censorship..
Jack, your clichťs are showing... [so much so, it's causing you to misspell...fixed. ]

To sum it up: what Tyler said..
Old 10-10-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 656 Likes on 406 Posts
This could single-handedly be the most inane thread ever. Just when I think the Whiny Clock couldn't tick closer to midnight...

Let me get this straight: you bought a cheaply-priced DVD, featuring an absolutely stellar audio and video presentation, for a movie you're not a big fan of, and are asking a group of strangers to decide for you whether or not to return it, because you heard they removed the SFX symbol from the clouds and they slightly redrew some crocodiles that appear for all of three seconds, and that the extras are too "kiddie oriented"?

Let me tell you, in your entire life, this should be your biggest problem.
Old 10-10-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 580 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
In the 549,394,597 threads that are currently active about The Lion King PE release, the only two confirmed changes (and believe me, people are looking . . . hard) to the "Theatrical Release" version on the disc, are the changed animation to the crocs and the removal of SEX/SFX from the dust cloud
I finally got around to watching the DVD yesterday (although - or perhaps because - the extras are iffy, I'm thinking of getting the gift set and leave this version to my mom) and I immediately noticed that the SFX gag is still in the movie. It's just harder to see because extra random particles were added to the sequence.

Class316,
The new 5.1 mix is fantastic. That and the pristine transfer are reason enough to keep this movie, especially when you only payed $15.99 for it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-10-03 at 02:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.