Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Tomorrow People?

The Tomorrow People?

Old 10-09-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tomorrow People?

Does anyone remember the old 70's/80's series on Nickelodeon called "The Tomorrow People"? If I remember correctly, it was sort of a British, sci-fi show about special kids who had evolved ahead of the rest of the human race and worked (out of a secret lab, of course ) to protect the earth from aliens? I remember loving it as a kid.

Anyone know if it has ever been released on DVD?
Old 10-09-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, it was an early 90's t.v. show. I would love to see it on DVD. One of the tommorrow people is the girl from 28 Days Later who played Selena. This was a really cool show. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-09-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
Actually, it was an early 90's t.v. show. I would love to see it on DVD. One of the tommorrow people is the girl from 28 Days Later who played Selena. This was a really cool show. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Actually, it IS a 70s-80s show, they made a newer (inferior)version in the 90s.

Talemyn you can get them in R2 UK sets. I have the first 2 seasons. I think they have up to season 3 or 4 out so far. I doubt it will see a R1 releas. I totally recommend getting a region free player (that can handle PAL>NTSC transfers) just for this series. An old favorite, and it is just as good as I remember it being.
Old 10-09-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm . . . I wonder if they made a remake of the show because I remember watching it at around 9-10 years old and I was in high school and college in the early 90's.

Edit: Oops . . . fnordboy beat me to it . . .

R2 only! Doh! Foiled again . . .
Old 10-09-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm.... Well then I'd love to see both versions released. I loved the 90's version, and the 70's version sounds just as interesting.
Old 10-09-03, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by talemyn

Edit: Oops . . . fnordboy beat me to it . . .

R2 only! Doh! Foiled again . . .
You can get a decent region free player for under 100 bucks. It is a worthy investment.

If you remember Tomorrow People then you might remember the other show they were showing around the same time called Children of the Stone. That is also available on DVD in the UK.

I amhoping eventually to see a release of The Third Eye that they use to show...which may be where they showed Children of the Stone. It was a horror anthology show for kids.
Old 10-09-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm.... Well then I'd love to see both versions released. I loved the 90's version, and the 70's version sounds just as interesting.
Yeah . . . it was a really great show . . . sort of a Dr. Who meets the Bloodhound Gang (the orignal BHG from the show 3-2-1-Contact!, not the 90's band that was named after them ). This was one of the first TV shows that I ever got hooked on.

Last edited by talemyn; 10-09-03 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
If you remember Tomorrow People then you might remember the other show they were showing around the same time called Children of the Stone. That is also available on DVD in the UK.
Hmmm . . . Children of the Stone . . . that sounds REALLY familiar, but I can't recall it. So does The Third Eye . . .

Must be having a "senior moment".
Old 10-09-03, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by talemyn
Hmmm . . . Children of the Stone . . . that sounds REALLY familiar, but I can't recall it. So does The Third Eye . . .

Must be having a "senior moment".

Children of the Stone was about a boy who moves to a town with his father who is an archeologist or scientist (something lol). He is there to study an odd rock formation (liek stone henge). The towns people are very strange and obviously are keeping a dark secret.
Old 10-09-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love The Tomorrow People! So far, Revelation Films has released 10 of the original 17 stories onto DVD region 0 PAL. Get yourself a region-free machine! (I love my little Lasonic 8090 player.) Further episodes in the series had fewer episodes, so they're starting to cram more than one story onto a single disc, which means hopefully they'll be done sooner. They have plans to release the 90's Tomorrow People onto DVD when they're finished with the 70's series. It's like Doctor Who for (even younger) kids!

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 10-09-03 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by fnordboy I amhoping eventually to see a release of The Third Eye that they use to show...which may be where they showed Children of the Stone. It was a horror anthology show for kids. [/B]
I think Children of the Stones was shown as part of the anthology. Another component of the anthology series, Chocky (and its sequels), has also been released in the UK on R2 PAL.

If you're in the US and have a region-free PAL-capable machine, www.bensonsworld.co.uk is a good place to order British discs.
Old 10-10-03, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
DVD region 0 PAL. Get yourself a region-free machine!
... Eh?
Old 10-10-03, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by mythmaker18
I think Children of the Stones was shown as part of the anthology. Another component of the anthology series, Chocky (and its sequels), has also been released in the UK on R2 PAL.
That makes sense. I have been eyeing Chocky for some time now, seemed familiar but didn't know from where. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I loved this show when I was a kid in the 80's. I really wish Nick would start a new network and show all the 80's stuff like this and You Can't Do That on Television. I thought the Nogin Network was going to show classic stuff like Electric Company, but that network went right down the tubes. I don't even think they show much in the way of real educational programming anymore. Just old Nick jr stuff in the day and crappy teenage girl stuff at night.
Old 10-10-03, 07:10 PM

I remember seeing it. But can't remember if it was the old or new series.

Did anyone recall Spellbinder. That was a fun series too. I think it was made down under.
Old 10-10-03, 08:43 PM

What surprises me is that Hollywood haven't turned Tomorrow People into a film yet!

It's only a matter of time I suppose.