Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What DVD has the cut of Terminator just shown on SciFi?

What DVD has the cut of Terminator just shown on SciFi?

Old 10-08-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
What DVD has the cut of Terminator 2 just shown on SciFi?

A DVD question about a movie on tv. I had a 1 in 3 chance of getting the right forum...

Anyways, which DVD has the cut played tonite?

tks

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-09-03 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why, what do you think is 'different' about it.
Old 10-09-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. I don't have any of the DVDs and I know there are about a dozen different cuts, so I'm just wondering which cut it was.

tks
Old 10-09-03, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminator doesnt have a dozen cuts, if you mean Terminator 2 the UE has the Theatrical, Special Edition, and Extended Special Every Scene We Could Find Edition. The new Extreme Edition has the Special Edition and the Theatrical is an easter egg. I'm not actually positive whether the cut on the Extreme is the Special or the extra extra long version; I only have the Ultimate Edition. UE also has DTS where the Extreme does not.
Old 10-09-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, here's the thing: I lurk here way too much for my health (or my job), so I know about the three different DVD versions ( that crack about a dozen cuts was hyperbole btw), but I'm not up to speed on the actual film. If you watched the movie last nite on SciFi, which cut was that, and I'll dig up some old T2 threads to find out which DVD it's on.

thanks
Old 10-09-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terminator 2 is one of the first films I remember seeing the 'additional footage' restored into the film, and really really did compliment the rest of the film well. The additional scenes added in the lord of the rings FOTR EE is the only movie since that I've seen that did a terrific job by adding footage that wasn't useless.
Old 10-09-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
There is only one cut of the Terminator that I'm aware of and it's available on whichever R1 DVD you pick up. There was the old non-anamorphic disc put out by Image Entertainment. That's OOP and in its place is the Special Edition from MGM. The MGM disc has two different covers, but the content is 100% identical regardless of the cover.

T2 is another story. You have the first DVD from 1997 with only the theatrical cut. Then there's the 2000 Ultimate Edition with the theatrical and special editons. This year saw the release of the Extreme Edition which has the special edition; the theatrical cut is included as an easter egg. The EE has the best picture quality by far, but the UE has the superior extras.

As to which version of the movie was shown on Sci-Fi, I have no clue since I tend not to watch movies I own on DVD.
Old 10-09-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You forget the 3rd version of the film "Future Coda Ending Version" that has the different ending and more footage of the T-1000 looking through John's room.
Old 10-09-03, 05:02 PM

There is only one cut of "The Terminator"... all dvds contain the same cut.

There are only two cuts of "Terminator 2: Judgement Day"... the theatrical version and the "Special Edition".

The first T2 dvd contained only the theatrical cut, but it is now out of print, so you won't be buying that anyway.

Then Artisan released the "Ultimate Edition" that allowed you to chose between the theatrical cut and the SE cut. There was also an easter egg on the disc that allowed you to view the SE with 2 additional deleted scenes spliced back in.

Then this year Artisan released the "Extreme Edition". This contains only the SE cut. However, there is an easter egg that alows you to view the theatrical cut if you want to.

To make a long story short, all dvds of T1 are the same cut, and both dvds of T2 that are still in print contain both the SE cut and the theatrical cut, but the UE also contains a hidden third cut.
Old 10-09-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i saw (some of) the movie shown on Sci-fi last night, and if i'm not mistaken, it's the theatrical cut.
Old 10-09-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, that's Terminator 2. I was just wondering if was one of the funky TV cuts or something. I'll probably just get the Extreme Edition since I consider commentaries one of the better extras you can get.

Thanks
Old 10-09-03, 07:02 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ted the Bug:
There are only two cuts of "Terminator 2: Judgement Day"... the theatrical version and the "Special Edition"...There was also an easter egg on the disc that allowed you to view the SE with 2 additional deleted scenes spliced back in.

Hmm...then that would make three cuts, yes?
Old 10-09-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 284 Likes on 211 Posts
I don't think I've seen the Extended Special Every Scene We Could Find Edition. Unless this is the Ultimate Edition DVD that cut people's hands and fingers off a few years ago (not the Extreme version, btw).
Old 10-11-03, 08:06 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei:
Unless this is the Ultimate Edition DVD that cut people's hands and fingers off a few years ago (not the Extreme version

That's the one, but only if you find the Easter Egg option that lets you play it that way (or have a player that will let you directly access 'Title 3')...