Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Knife in the Water subtitles question

Old 10-08-03, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Knife in the Water the other night. Fantastic film! Although the description of the plot on the back of the box is incredibly misleading. I noticed some parts of the film where the actors would say something and there would be subtitles but then they would keep talking and the subtitles would be gone. Were the subtitles like the cliff notes of the dialogue? Does the Polish language require long sentences to make simple statements?
Old 10-08-03, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question, maybe it was just unnecessary detail left out in the subtitles. characters talking about details that we can see visually.

I was shocked to learn in the documentary that Polanski dubbed the voice of the young guy. I didn't notice at all while watching the film, the voice seemed to match him.
Old 10-08-03, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
Good question, maybe it was just unnecessary detail left out in the subtitles. characters talking about details that we can see visually.

I was shocked to learn in the documentary that Polanski dubbed the voice of the young guy. I didn't notice at all while watching the film, the voice seemed to match him.
It was a good interview and like others, I thought it would have been good as well to have him do a commentary as well. I did laugh my head off when he was trying to come up with a nice way of describing the actress and he came up with "bovine".
Old 10-08-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The subtitles were translated personally by Roman Polanski, so whatever is there is exactly what he wants.

DJ