Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Lion King-What do you think of the 'changes'

Old 10-08-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now that most of us here probably has already seen it, lol, I was just wondering what you thought of those small minor changes as I'm sure the discussion that I am stemming this off of, deserves its own thread since everybody will be going on with their opinions, now that they've actually seen these small changes in action. Such as the crocodile thing and such. And of course, the addition of the song 'Morning Report'.

I must say, I didn't quite like the 'Morning Report' song and see why it wasn't in the film originally. It kind of takes away from the whole discussion that Mufasa is giving Simba, and then the pouncing lesson. It was a song that didn't need to be placed where it was, but is a good addition to the film for those who absolutely love to see things like this thrown in the movie. So from now on I will be watching this film without 'Morning Report'.

Although the 'changes' like the crocodile thing... didn't bother me. It was too quick to really give a hoot, and the rest of the song 'Cant wait to be king' looks very colorful and cartoony anyway, just as the crocs look right now. So it fits and it's all good in my book. If there were any OTHER changes, just watching through the film, I really didn't notice any.

I still have yet to watch the additional features and all but, this is a good transfer and the changes that were noted are small, so small they aren't very noticeable. So enjoy this film friends!
Old 10-08-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The croc thing seemed like a dumb thing to change but it didn't really bother me while watching the movie.

Morning Report could of been left off the DVD and I wouldn't of complained a bit.

I was writing in my online journal about the features and what I think of them. The variety of ways you can navigate the second DVD makes it look like there are way more features since all the features show up 2 or 3 times in the menus. The features I watched for far never lasted more than 6 minutes. Had it not been for the commentary I would of felt ripped off in the features department.
Old 10-08-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you 100%. The new song didnt feel like it was supposed to be there. Like you said, it was more of a distraction than anything else. I would have never noticed the crocodile scene, if I would have never read about it. The only disappointment I have is that I saw more of the voice actors in the Elton John music video that I have seen in all of the documentarys I have seen so far. You would think that they would have their own little section. One other little disappointment is that there are no trailers. Other than that, its a great set.
Old 10-08-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know why they put the sng in there. Apparantly, it was originally written for the movie but not used. It's in the Broadway show, though. Works ok on stage, I guess, but I don't see why they had to put it in the movie. There are TONS of songs in the Broadway show that aren't in the movie. Oh well.
Old 10-08-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,270 Likes on 926 Posts
Ace the song. The pouncing lesson is funny as is. At least they gave us both versions. I don't think I'll watch the new version again.
Old 10-08-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I stated this in the other thread.. it didn't bother me much.
Old 10-08-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I thought "Morning Report" was created for the IMAX rerelease. But in the special features, they say it was created just for the DVD. Who's right?
Old 10-08-03, 02:01 AM

It was indeed created for the DVD.
Old 10-08-03, 02:04 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by tikigod
It was indeed created for the DVD.
So what was the new song that appeared in the IMAX release?

Edit: Oops, I guess I'm thinking of Beauty and the Beast:

While the studio did this once before for the DVD of Beauty and the Beast, that scene had already appeared in an IMAX big screen re-release. This is the first time Disney has added a newly animated scene specifically for a DVD.
Old 10-08-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The changes are fine with me. I like either way.
Old 10-08-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never been a fan of Disney's "enhanced" editions, like last years Beauty & The Beast and now The Lion King. I prefer to watch the original version, but I admit that it is nice to have both so you at least have a choice.
Old 10-08-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Morning Report" worked better on the stage than the movie. I would've preferred "He Lives in You" as a better song to put in the movie (although Robert Gulliuame's singing voice is questionable).

The new crocs don't bother me at all, it's not as drastic a change as something in Star Wars, E.T., or The Exorcist.
Old 10-08-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I've never been a fan of Disney's "enhanced" editions, like last years Beauty & The Beast and now The Lion King. I prefer to watch the original version, but I admit that it is nice to have both so you at least have a choice.
I agree Palmer! I mean, even if there's a movie I want on DVD that I don't specifically care to watch the extras... for example, I didn't watch any of the stuff on DareDevil or anything. But I'll always buy the special editions of films over the regular, because it's just the fact that hey, if I want it, I have the choice to see it sometime. In my life with all the DVD's I buy anyway, it's hard to be able to watch everything I want to, and watch all the features and commentary and etc etc, but the fact that someday I can watch such things as additional scenes or commentaries if I care to, is just satisfying in its own way.
Old 10-08-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the new song on Beauty and the Beast, fits in excellent.. no real opinion on the Lion King one..

The other "changes" are too minute to bother worrying about.
Old 10-08-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that if nobody had brought the croc changes, I wouldn't notice it, and even thogugh, now, looking at the older pics from the original version, the crocs don't look like they fit in and the newer livelyer versions fit better in.
Old 10-08-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, what was "altered" with Mufasa in the clouds? And can someone confirm the "sfx" in the clouds gag is not on the dvd. (not that I give a rats ass, but I just am currious since my amazon order won't be here until mid october.
Old 10-08-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't care for the "Morning Report" song, especially after I went back later and watched the theatrical version of that scene. The only other time I've seen The Lion King was in the theater, so I didn't really notice what else was new.

What I DID love however was the Disney Home Theater Enhanced 5.1 mix... WOAH! We've got some new demo material here people

Brian
Old 10-08-03, 11:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Just get the laserdisc CAV box set version of film, and you can get an unmolested version of THE LION KING, with far superior bonus features.
Old 10-08-03, 12:07 PM

What I DID love however was the Disney Home Theater Enhanced 5.1 mix... WOAH! We've got some new demo material here people
I agree. I switched briefly between the Enhanced mix and the regular 5.1 mix. I'm not sure why they even bothered to put the regular mix on there. It sounded like a Dolby 2.0 mix in comparison.
Old 10-08-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I too was not impressed with the new Morning Report, but I was very impressed with the new enhanced audio mix. I'm glad they didn't put "He Lives in You" in this movie because it's already in the sequel and I don't like the song anyway.

By the way, what did they change about the crocodiles?
Old 10-08-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
By the way, what did they change about the crocodiles?
Borrowed from this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=322189
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Old Crocs.

New Crocs.
Old 10-08-03, 03:07 PM

Wow... I didn't know about the croc change. Actually, I like it. The old crocs always kinda bugged me with the squinty eyes.
Old 10-08-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 585 Likes on 450 Posts
Eww. Those new crocs (and the birds coming out of their mouths) look terrible. Too bad since I always liked the croc bit.

I still haven't picked this disc up (didn't have time yesterday) and was going to force myself into giving the new song a shot (I thought the song added to Beauty and the Beast was terrible) but, after all the bad comments here, I don't think I'll even bother.
Old 10-08-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 408 Posts
"The Morning Report" is pretty useless. The song is actually pretty clever, but you won't hear any of the best puns as they are drowned out by Mufasa's and Simba's pouncing discussion. But Disney does present the original scene as well, so I have no reason to complain.

And that Home Theater Mix... very nice, although the pumped up the LFE way too much (a la LOTR:FOTR EE) to give the illusion of depth.
Old 10-08-03, 04:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

that song was freakin awful! And Listen to Simba's voice when he sings. He sings like a girl!

In the actual movie, Simba sounds like a young boy, when he sings he sounds like Michael Jackson, a few octives higher or something.

And for the new song its like they said "ah screw, lets just have Shania Twain" sing it

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.