Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Scarface layer change?

Scarface layer change?

Old 10-03-03, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scarface layer change?

I was wondering if anyone knew when the scarface layer change took place? On my dvd on ch 18 when Tony's sister is in the restroom it pauses like a layer change, but my receiver acts differently to it. (Sound selection usually flashes) Is this a glitch or the layer change? Thanks for any info.
Old 10-03-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it was a layer change.
Old 10-03-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the layer change and one of the worst ones I've seen.
Old 10-03-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's horrendous. If anyone knows of an inexpensive Denon player (since they seem to be the only company that actually makes a standalone player that elimanates the layer change) that is reliable, let me know. I've had it with this. Every time I try to buy a Denon, I read the reviews and there are always incompatibility problems. When I say inexpensive, I mean under 300. Thanks.
Old 10-03-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by J.P.V.
Agreed. A 3-hour long movie and THAT'S the best place they can find for it?!
Old 10-03-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by J.P.V.
yeah....insane. not real happy with where the change is....I cant understand it. if I could only use my X-Box all the time. cant even notice it on that. I tried it on 4 other players....Panasonic the worst change and a little better on the sony.
Old 10-03-03, 08:16 PM
Banned

Layer changes are a small price to pay imo. How would you like having to turn the disc over? One of the reasons Laser discs didn't go mainstream.
Old 10-03-03, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by ctyler
Layer changes are a small price to pay imo. How would you like having to turn the disc over? One of the reasons Laser discs didn't go mainstream.
it's not the layer change that bugs me for this title....it's where it's at. thats the problem. and seeing a pitiful change like this one is worse than knowing yer gonna flip a disc over. this change should be an example of how not to do it. if all players could handle it....then it's no big deal.
Old 10-03-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the worst layer change since The Patriot. (In that title, the change occurs in mid-sentence of a conversation between two of the actors.)

For those who haven't seen Scarface, it happens like this (and I don't think these are spoilers): Tony bursts through the door. His sister starts to react with a startled look. The layer switches. She continues her startled reaction. Deplorable.
Old 10-03-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few years ago when I got into DVD's I was immediately turned off by layer changes. But, I always said, "oh, in a few years ALL players will have memory buffer and it won't be an issue." Here it is years later and it's still an issue. Instead of blaming Universal, maybe it's time to look at the DVD player companies for not adding a simple feature called memory buffer to all new players. Is it that big of a deal? I can't imagine it being a big deal at all.
Old 10-03-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

my Denon DVD1600 has a memory buffer and I still get layer change pauses.....
Old 10-03-03, 10:17 PM

Different players have different buffers. My Pioneer 414 must have had the worst, my Panny xp-30 was better but still noticeable. However, my free dvd player from at&t Mustek, had the best response time...I noticed absolutely no layer changed at all. Too bad the picture quality was a pos...but I suppose the player manufacturers have different priorities.
Old 10-04-03, 12:53 AM
Banned

Iove, I have noticed this as well. I bought a 80 dollar Phillips player which had yucky picture quality but NO noticeable layer change and also had a Sony player I payed 800 dollars for of which had a layer change of almost 2 seconds. Whoever approved of the final Scarface dvd is a moron, plain and simple. There are a million other places that layer change could have come, perhaps in the split second that it shows the door before it is opened to the bathroom?
Old 10-04-03, 01:20 AM
Rest in Peace

I just bought the 2 disc DVD and I don't think I am going to open it, now that your all complaining about a layer change. You only(Tony montana for how long, you fnally got it and now your disatisfied about some silly thing like a layer change. Ignorance is Bliss you all have to do DVD autopies on what you hope will go away. I'll stick to the one I bought over a year ago layer change, what layer change I was watching the movie.

The more you learn the less satisfied your going to be even when HD-DVD comes in you'll find things wrong with it, while I just the big wide screen and enjoy my purchase!
Old 10-04-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you guys actually expect a studio as incompetent as Universal to be able to place a layer change correctly? Come on, don't expect something like that from them.
Old 10-04-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

layer change, what layer change I was watching the movie.
You couldn't have been watching it that closely if you missed the big honking layer change in the middle of a prominent scene.

Seriously, somewhere in your posting, I think you're chiding people for complaining about this. But no one has said they're unhappy with the DVD overall and no one has really said anything in this thread beyond complaining about the layer change.

Silly? I think complaining about the lack of inserts is silly. I think complaining about cover art is silly. Why? Because they don't affect what most people buy a DVD for: watching a movie. A bad layer change affects watching the movie.

To each his own.
Old 10-04-03, 02:12 AM

Well, if is the layer change I can live with it. I am just glad it isn't a glitch or a bad disc since I bought the gift box and it would suck to exchange it.

If you aren't going to buy this movie because of the layer change I think you are making a mistake. It really isn't that bad, plus the video and audio are great IMHO, especially the dts mix.
Old 10-04-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is nowhere near as bad as that horrible glitch near the end of The Two Towers though. I'm really worried and hope that the Extended Edition won't have teh same glitch.
But yeah, this layer change is pretty bad. They couldn't do it like, right before they burst into the bathroom? Or right after that scene? I find that hard to believe. But ya know, Universal, what can we expect.
Old 10-04-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with all of you on this,ive seen movies that came out 2 years ago where I had to accually look for the layer change it was that well hidden,but this layer change has to be the worst ive seen in a long time.
Old 10-04-03, 03:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah this one is pretty rough.

Its amazing Universal can never get this title right. Not that I'm saying its bad (especially after the first release), its just odd that Universal didn't put more effort into it.
Old 10-04-03, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by aa-dvd
Well, if is the layer change I can live with it. I am just glad it isn't a glitch or a bad disc since I bought the gift box and it would suck to exchange it.

If you aren't going to buy this movie because of the layer change I think you are making a mistake. It really isn't that bad, plus the video and audio are great IMHO, especially the dts mix.
The DTS mix wasn't horrible but it was bad.
too centred to the front speakers, it doesn't feel like DTS at all. and the gunshots....man.....there's no bass in it.