Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

So NOW does everyone understand Scarface's "hip-hop" influence...?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is if you made it through the Def Jam special feature on the DVD.

Okay, all jokes aside, I think everyone here (and pretty much on any MB) gives rappers, thugs, gangsters and whoever a little too much crap about this movie's "influence". The movie does respresent pretty much everyone in the hood's struggle to make it the top and teaches important lessons that closely mimick those found in black urban society (rappers, hustlers etc.)

I am as far from black as it gets and come from the suburbs of Southern California, but I can honestly appreciate this movie and totally understand how this has influenced countless rappers and so forth. I mean, P. Diddy, Snoop, Russell Simmons and others interviewed on this Def Jam segment all mentioned how this movie influenced them and between them right now is several billions of dollars. Jealous...?
Old 09-30-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all comes down to this...

They gotz to getz da money on!
Old 09-30-03, 10:54 PM
Banned

There are plenty of movies about rags to riches. It just seems that rappers flock to the most violent one.
Old 09-30-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You would understand the connection if you ever watched MTV's cribs. Every rapper has it in the collection. why? because of the whole meaning behind it. the world is theres by doing what they love or telling the tales. being thugs and tough. crap like that. I still don't care but atleast I'm glad they didn't redo the soundtrack like they were planning to do at one point.
Old 09-30-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a bunch of low-lifes
Old 09-30-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I still don't care but atleast I'm glad they didn't redo the soundtrack like they were planning to do at one point.
Amen, brotha! This "knowledge" is about as important a feature as that "fan" version of Raiders Of the Lost Ark that was being discussed here a lil while back ago..

Also, like lesterlong pointed out, there are plenty of other "rags to riches" flicks out there. It's a shame "street cred" in the hip hop game means being as violent as you can..
Old 09-30-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
what a bunch of low-lifes

Nice of you to stereotype people you know nothing about.
Old 09-30-03, 11:37 PM
Banned

Its funny because I am not black, nor am I a thug living in the getho. You know what I don't even know how to rap.

I have glasses and I most people consider me a nerd.

But you know what I like scarface and bought the dvd.

It has nothing to do with black or white.
Old 09-30-03, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by lesterlong
There are plenty of movies about rags to riches. It just seems that rappers flock to the most violent one.
Maybe in 20 years we will get a Gigli: Anniversary Edition with a Jam Def featurette about how it is now the most loved & influential movie to Hop-Hip artist.
Old 09-30-03, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You would understand the connection if you ever watched MTV's cribs. Every rapper has it in the collection.
wouldnt know....last time I watched MTV was about 1988. glad I have not been infected with the last 15 years worth of crap.

I also agree with lesterlong's comments.
Old 09-30-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by JJE-187
Maybe in 20 years we will get a Gigli: Anniversary Edition with a Jam Def featurette about how it is now the most loved & influential movie to Hop-Hip artist.
I think it'll be Glitter...
Old 10-01-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This may sound like stereotyping, it may not. But isn't a little sad that a bunch of people in hip-hop and a lot of people who listen to hip hop, have been always praising this movie and claiming it was an 'influence' on them, when the movie is about a murderous gangster who kills kills kills and sells drugs and all of the other bad things that goes on in this film? I mean I love this movie but I sure as hell don't see it as an 'influence'. Looking at a movie and seeing a guy do coke and kill people and hack somebody with a chainsaw and again, etc etc etc... You know, Eddie Griffin said this once: Gangster, there's a code of silence. You keep quiet about everything. Gangster Rapper is an oxymoron, because they talk too god damn much about everything! Anybody who feels 'influence' towards a film like this no matter what their race (although the hip hoppers are not ashamed to admit that they see it as one), is living in a world of delusion and I hope that anybody who looks at this film as more than just a 'great movie' gets whats coming to them. Perhaps they were too drunk to remember when Tony Montana gets whats coming to him near the end of the film....
Old 10-01-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't finish watching that feature. I laughed quite hard when the guy said "Well I took the name Scarface because...thats me." They make it sound as if all of those guys were watching that as they were growing up. Most of them probably didnt see it until the early '90s.
Old 10-01-03, 12:33 AM
Rest in Peace

I rooler skated to the first song "Rappers Delight" not Scarface!

I have the DVD and have watched it quite a few times, but Tony Montana doesn't squat for hip hop. The Sugar Hill Gang in 1979 came out with "Rappers Delight", I formed a side stepping with roller skates to RD not Tonys Delight. Tonys delight was being important until he started getting high on own supply, he never felt 'any' of the bullets at the scene you know I am talking about. His body dropped but he never felt that either, while Grand Master Flash and Mel Mel came out with "White Lines" (don't do it).
Old 10-01-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
I didn't finish watching that feature. I laughed quite hard when the guy said "Well I took the name Scarface because...thats me." They make it sound as if all of those guys were watching that as they were growing up. Most of them probably didnt see it until the early '90s.
An example of the 'delusion' I'm takling about. For certain people to be running around seriously thinking they're untouchable gods of crime... just kind of makes me laugh and hate them all the more at the same time. Some people are just really stupid. If every music group in history thought they were a gangster just because they had money and did drugs... imagine all the fan bases that would kick hip hops ass. LOL. 'I took the name Scarface cuz... that's me.' Yeah, and I'm George Carlin.
Old 10-01-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I forgot the whole soundtrack was used on Grand Theft Auto 3 until I watched it tonight. I'm just glad the original documentary was on there split up. No problem with the Def Jam thing as long as the original documentary is there.

As far as influence, I've got no problem with it. Its sad that people actually think a guy like Montana is a role model to base your life on, but its a pretty sad world. Its a classic film and I'm just glad it finally has a decent transfer.

I'm also happy I sold my crappy original version for $80 on ebay and picked this version up for $15 at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-01-03, 12:37 AM
Banned

Re: I rooler skated to the first song "Rappers Delight" not Scarface!

Originally posted by danol
I have the DVD and have watched it quite a few times, but Tony Montana doesn't squat for hip hop. The Sugar Hill Gang in 1979 came out with "Rappers Delight", I formed a side stepping with roller skates to RD not Tonys Delight. Tonys delight was being important until he started getting high on own supply, he never felt 'any' of the bullets at the scene you know I am talking about. His body dropped but he never felt that either, while Grand Master Flash and Mel Mel came out with "White Lines" (don't do it).
I think this is signature material.
Old 10-01-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For example a few weeks ago, 50 Cent was given five days to turn himself in for questioning reguarding a murder at a hotel. He was seen on tape going in, and seen shooting a gun. Well, shall we see him in a jail cell, or in a video in the next month? Jeez, I think I know the answer to that one.

It's pretty sad that, the 1932 Scarface film is a protest to the government saying 'what will YOU do about this', reguarding the problem of organized crime. And here we are, 2003, and if somebody is famous enough, they'll get away with everything including murder. You know I always think it's bull when somebody says in the media 'its the movies fault, the videogames fault', but obviously this whole genre of delusional hip hoppers show us that yes... some media CAN be influential for sure...

UPDATE: Police will not confirm if 50 cent was in the video tape or not, yet he was there with his 'entourage'. And eyewitnesses did see him leaving the scene of the crime.... pleh.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 10-01-03 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-01-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone that thinks rappers were the most influenced people by this movie have forgotten this guy.

Last edited by darkside; 10-01-03 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-01-03, 12:47 AM
Banned

Well I like to think that if all of the hip-hop culture went away the world would be a better place. I'm not saying urban culture because I love the NBA much more now then I ever have. But if rap music just disappeared it would be a truly great thing.
Old 10-01-03, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by lesterlong
Well I like to think that if all of the hip-hop culture went away the world would be a better place.
my world would be better. 100% better.
Old 10-01-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, like lesterlong pointed out, there are plenty of other "rags to riches" flicks out there. It's a shame "street cred" in the hip hop game means being as violent as you can..
Yeah, but this one has the drugs, the violence, the attitute. That ghetto, thug, rapper attitude isn't this present in any other "rag to riches" movie. Sure there are countless of them, but Scarface touches that niche of people. I'm not sure if people here are being racist, jealous or whatever, but I see no problem basing your life around this movie.

We root for Tony, yes. He is a very likable character. But God damn, the guy ends up killing his sister, his best friend and himself. These rappers see this and apparently "learn from it". If you let shit go to your head, whether in the drug world, or rap game, you only go downhill.

This coming from a 21 year old, white, suburban grown Jew.
Old 10-01-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If there's nothing wrong in basing your life around 'drugs, violence, and attitude'. I don't care if it touches a niche of people, lol. I like the whole cool attitude and everything, it makes for a great film as I've said before. But there obviously IS something wrong with basing your life around these things. Because how many 'famous' people who claim influence from this movie, are involved with guns and deaths?
Old 10-01-03, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PJsig08
Yeah, but this one has the drugs, the violence, the attitute. That ghetto, thug, rapper attitude isn't this present in any other "rag to riches" movie. Sure there are countless of them, but Scarface touches that niche of people. I'm not sure if people here are being racist, jealous or whatever, but I see no problem basing your life around this movie.

We root for Tony, yes. He is a very likable character. But God damn, the guy ends up killing his sister, his best friend and himself. These rappers see this and apparently "learn from it". If you let shit go to your head, whether in the drug world, or rap game, you only go downhill.

This coming from a 21 year old, white, suburban grown Jew.
As I recall the ending of the film, if these rappers wanted to be like him they should A) be dead because of cocaine overdoses or B) be dead because a rival rapper blows them away. I can understand it being a great film and finding Tony Montana to be a likeable character but a role model? Hells no. That's like watching Blow and saying that you base your life on George Jung. I mean why not. He had tons of money and he's still alive.
Old 10-01-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually made it 1 minute and 26 seconds into the Def Jam documentary before giving up on it. I'm pretty sure the word F**k was used about 50 times in that 86 seconds. Nice F**king Documentary.

Hey, at least Scarface the rapper had it on Laserdisc. He would be loved around here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.