Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

So NOW does everyone understand Scarface's "hip-hop" influence...?

So NOW does everyone understand Scarface's "hip-hop" influence...?

Old 10-08-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by White Knight
MAH-HA-HA

Ok, I'm joking....NOT A bullet. A CHAINSAW just like in Scareface!
Whether or not you are joking . . . it's still time for this thread to wrap up . . .
Old 10-08-03, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is that so horrible? These guys "sing" about all these violent, racist and sexist things to a much wider audience than this thread will ever reach. Besides these guys are so "tough" they should be able to handle a few words on a message board.
Old 10-08-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CaseyB you got my point.
Old 10-08-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaseyB
Why is that so horrible? These guys "sing" about all these violent, racist and sexist things to a much wider audience than this thread will ever reach. Besides these guys are so "tough" they should be able to handle a few words on a message board.
Three reasons:

1) If "we" agree that promotion of violence is a bad thing when rappers do it, then "we" shouldn't do it in our posts either,

2) I'm sure that the rappers are "tough" enough to handle a few words on a message board, but I seriously doubt that the hang out here, and even if they do, this is a message board for DVD dicussions, not bad mouthing rappers, and

3) We've entered into the "circular arguing" stage of this thread and have been here for a number of pages . . . adding in pointless insults, is about the only thing that could pull the thread any farther down and that is not needed.
Old 10-08-03, 10:54 PM
Banned

I love White Knight's sense of humor! Hey Wigger, come to house and we can sip on a 40oz amd watch Malibu's Most Wanted
Old 10-08-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I think it’s terribly sad to see how far rap has fallen. I remember back in the 80's how rap was fun. Run DMC, MC Hammer, and Beastie Boys - they weren’t taking themselves all that seriously. Now and days rap is angry, all about killin' cops and slapping hoe's and doing drugs. All the fun is gone replaced with hate and rage.

So - frankly, yes. We'd all be better off if all hip-hop fell of the face of the earth.

Thumbs up my man. There were a few angry rappers back then, but not a full blown seperate genre of many of them.

Here's some ACTUAL lyrics: (by DMX)

"Chorus: DMX Niggaz won't creep these streets with me cause you know ****in what these streets'll be Make you wanna.. then I'm gonna.. cause I gotta.. POP POP, POP POP (*****!) I look through the 11th floor window Take one last puff of the indo (WHAT?) Look through the scope, and let like ten go Break it down, back in the briefcase (uh-huh) Wipe the sweat off my face so I can leave safe (UH) Outside I breathe safe (UH) ***** never saw it comin, that's how he got it (WHAT?) Never even thought of runnin, cause a ***** plotted (WHAT?) Smart niggaz get niggaz killed for real I know, they make a deal? I'm comin with the steel (aight) It's gon' be that cat you don't see that's gon' pop you (uhh) Stop you in your mother****in tracks ***** and drop you (uhh) Get rid of all the clothes (uh-huh) dump the gun I hate to be the type of ***** to leave you, slugged and run but I'm on the job and right now there's more niggaz that need to be left with a head full of lead, restin easily (WHOO) And that twenty G's a fee, put to a good use The only excuse I have for what I do is, love of abuse (C'MON!) Chorus 2X [DMX] I can catch you in the very building that you live in (UH) Wait until you get right at your door then start spittin (aight?) Now they got a ribbon tied to the rail at the top of the steps (what?) I was there, you ain't DIE at the top of the steps (aight?) I can do that walk behind you shit and follow you home (shhh) Make a noise, you turn around and I put one in your dome (BOOM!) Last thing you saw was chrome and a, flash of light (uhh, uhh, uhh) I blast him right, *****, that's yo' ass tonight (C'MON!) I could put a bomb in your car and watch it explode (BOOM!) then make em call, tell em all they found was a piece of your clothes and a small piece of your nose and, bone from your arm which they really couldn't tell apart, because of the bomb I could be waitin, camped out in yo' car, in the backseat with some ****in chickenwire, soon as you hit the backstreet I jump up like Jack-in-the-Box, strangle the shit out yo' ass (BLEH)"

Boy, there's obviously one individual who I would want living in my neighborhood.
Old 10-09-03, 08:28 AM
Cool New Member

Talk about beating a dead horse. Come on guy’s give it up. Resistance is futile! Hip Hop is here to stay. You can close your mind and eyes to it if you want to, but it will continue to infest yall’s minds bodies and souls. Get used to it! Hip Hop will sprawl with you.
Old 10-09-03, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by majorjoe23
NWA and Public Enemy were angry rappers in the 80s.
Yeah, but for every Public Enemy, you'd have five Fatboys or Sir Mix-a-lots. It seems that these days Angry Rap is all that's out there and Fun Rap is the sub-genre.
Old 10-09-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mzupeman2
Here's some ACTUAL lyrics: (by DMX)
For EVERY verse you could find like that I could offer one like this (Aesop Rock):

television, all hail grand pixelated god of
fantasy, murder scape and perspective
**** a sore channel changed digit
I sit with a nasty network intervenes plan
with a stable diet of my cable pirate
yo, the doctor is in, the doctor is on
born the bastard son of static radiance cloned to welcome in every home
lead a blue screen, bruised dream canope
victim of the cursed nursed Technicolor drunk support team
ooh, I love all advertisements
though accused by robot news casters who capture and pollute
spoon fed hazardous fog to joy luck catholic squad
please take me, please calm me, please make me a zombie
please I want to donate my brain to the monstrous Panasonic profit
now, twenty first century plagued
dispersed to wide eyed glamour addict patients
telecast patrons
blue be the propaganda banners, well, sure I'll be a Marine
with a clean sword and blue uniform, it only takes a dollar and a dream
and I abide great idiot box power supply, fuzz vapor,
black out of New York, hey honey, get the generator
I'm in a doom, doom generation, pacin', ancient electric secret
never sleepin' to miss the AM oasis
my name is a wired heart, sloppy obligation
turn my stilt into my guilt and have a chatter box blame frame adjacent station
make reality scrambled and suck the life out of a hidden vandal
and loving every minute of the gimmick, change the channel

plug it in, turn it on, prop me up against the couch
lights out, I ain't ever gonna have to leave my house
satellite dish, get up on my wish list, turn me to a tyrant
let my clean spirit dissolve through the appliance
Complex and artistic songs that deal with everything under the sun besides gangster sensibilities.

And I'll also bet that everyone in this thread that says that violent music is a negative influence on kids would turn around and defend the existance of violent movies. And it would be on the grounds that they know the difference between right and wrong, and they know the difference between entertainment and reality, but it is their duty to protect the other people who can't think for themselves.

If you are a parent, of course you should prevent your children from being exposed to material that isn't appropriate for them at that age. But it doesn't stop at rap music. Unfortunately, our society is obsessed with violence and it is hard to protect our children from it, but violent rap music occupies just a fraction of this.

I also find it funny (and very sad) that you never see threads like this about any other kind of music. Every message board I've ever been too, that isn't specifically about music but where it is still a topic, ends up with numerous threads like this. I've never seen such venomous hatred for any other kind of music. All I can attribute it to is racism. I don't particularly like country music, but it certainly doesn't infuriate me. I never feel the need to rant about all the silly lyrics and untalented musicians. I can't think of anything that would get people so worked up other than race, because that is a very heated issue, and it is very possible to not like something and also not get angry about it.
Old 10-10-03, 01:56 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now Dante Hall of the KC Chiefs is crediting Scarface:

Full article here

"I love Scarface and Pacino. He started out with nothing and worked his way to the top," said Hall.
Old 10-10-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Matt925

I also find it funny (and very sad) that you never see threads like this about any other kind of music. Every message board I've ever been too, that isn't specifically about music but where it is still a topic, ends up with numerous threads like this. I've never seen such venomous hatred for any other kind of music. All I can attribute it to is racism. I don't particularly like country music, but it certainly doesn't infuriate me. I never feel the need to rant about all the silly lyrics and untalented musicians. I can't think of anything that would get people so worked up other than race, because that is a very heated issue, and it is very possible to not like something and also not get angry about it.
Dude, this section of your post has been covered in this thread numerous times. Read back.
Old 10-10-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Dude, this section of your post has been covered in this thread numerous times. Read back.
Although I haven't bitched about country, hey! That's not what this thread called for!!! It was about hip hop influence and scarface!!!!

Country infuriates the shit out of me. Stupid freakin' dumbasses in their dumbass hats, singing about their horses and their back porch. Crap. Crap crap crap crap crap. So I've complained about a dominantly white genre of music now. Ic omplained about mainstream hip hip and rap, and now country. So if I'm white myself, am I still 'racist' in your mind, Matt925?
Old 10-10-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Die, thread! Die!! DIE!!!

Oh, for the sake of all that is holy, PLEASE die . . .
Old 10-10-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Lame thread alert! Lame thread alert! Lame thread alert!
Old 10-10-03, 09:39 PM

word
Old 10-10-03, 11:20 PM
Banned

Old 12-05-03, 02:30 AM
Suspended

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Wo...yer031204.html
Old 12-05-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame