Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

buyer beware, scarface only "labled" on the back!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in other words, to find out if you have gotten the widescreen or fullscreen version, you have to look on the back of the box to find which version you have. (unless, there's a sticker, but just warning
Old 09-30-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is that different than any other DVD? ie: Read the package to see what you are getting? What is the point of this thread?
Old 09-30-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
How is that different than any other DVD? ie: Read the package to see what you are getting? What is the point of this thread?
Well we know that there will be the multitude of "I bought Scarface fullscreen by accident today!!!" threads, so maybe this will avoid some of them.

I agree though, you should always look at what you are buying, it only takes a second. Especially when there are two products (wide and full) offered in the same style case. Common sense.
Old 09-30-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well most dvds will say on the front somewhere which version they are getting (and some will asume that there only is one version.)
Old 09-30-03, 10:02 AM

The deluxe set I ordered from amazon clearly stated that it included both wide and fullscreen versions.
Old 09-30-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if the "deluxe" set is the gift box, it would say that because widescreen wasn't invented in 1931 when the original scarface came out.
Old 09-30-03, 10:07 AM

I almost bought the fullscreen Scarface, but realized it and got the widescreen. It is written on the back of the dvd (aspect ratio, etc.) and on the top of the spine of the dvd. It is NOT on the front cover like most dvds today. Just take an extra second to look at it and all should be fine.
Old 09-30-03, 10:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
if the "deluxe" set is the gift box, it would say that because widescreen wasn't invented in 1931 when the original scarface came out.
This is partially incorrect. There were widescreen movies made even before 1931. However, Scarface (1931) is fullscreen in OAR.
Old 09-30-03, 10:24 AM

wow Pixy comes across sounding like a real bung. I think this info's useful to a lot of people. Most DVD's say on the front whether they're wide or full- this one doesn't. I guarantee a bunch of people will return the disc and say "but it didn't say anywhere on the front." Pixy and myself may think to look, but there might be others who just aren't as smart as Pixy.
Old 09-30-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is helpful. Last thing I wanted in my rush today during school breaks was to get the FS version.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-30-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's not a matter of being smart..

There was a thread like this for Babe last week. When I went to the store, I was expecting some sort of code i'd have to crack to make sure I bought the right one..

There was a..yellow..banner..on..the..top.

It said "Widescreen Special Edition".

It even ran onto the spine which also said "Widescreen".

To take it even furthur...Universal's grid on bottom of the back cover had a box that said "Anamorphic Widescreen". Even had the ratio too.

C'mon, really..all it takes is a moment to see what you're getting..
Old 09-30-03, 10:36 AM
Retired

Most are clearly marked on the front with "Widescreen" or "Fullscreen."

I for one, didn't even know there was a fullscreen release of this (don't see too many for older, catalog releases and re-releases) so I might well have picked up the wrong one as I'm usually always in a rush to get in and out of stores.
Old 09-30-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the people that just rush in and buy DVDs before checking what you are getting, it's your own fault. I think in this time of the DVD era anybody who buys more than 1 DVD a month ought to know that there are often times multiple versions of a disc released, and it takes 15 seconds to flip to the back and check specs, espically if only for a minimal AR check.

Threads like this only further the ignorance of consumers, as they will just continue to expect in the future for somebody to hold thier willy for them when they go to the store.

I was not aware of a seperate WS/FS for Scarface, even if I was in too much of a hurry to take 15 seconds to look at the back of the case while grabbing it from the shelf, I would think that there may POSSIBLY be 15 seconds during any number of scenarios including walking to the front to check out, waiting in line to check out, waiting for your credit card to process, or waiting for the cashier to count change and offer you an extended warranty on your shiny new disc.

Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fires.
Old 09-30-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't realize there were two versions, either...now I'm kind of bummed be the video rental store here w/ 98 cent rentals will only get the fullscreen version, and I'm gonna have to wait to CH this title. Oh, well. I hope its' worth the wait. Thanks for the heads up on the ARs.
Old 09-30-03, 11:07 AM
Retired

For the people that just rush in and buy DVDs before checking what you are getting, it's your own fault. I think in this time of the DVD era anybody who buys more than 1 DVD a month ought to know that there are often times multiple versions of a disc released, and it takes 15 seconds to flip to the back and check specs, espically if only for a minimal AR check.
I buy less than that anymore.

I do usually check. But sometimes I don't think to look if I'm in a hurry, not so much due to the time, but rather to being stressed out and just forgetting to look at anything but the price.

Anyway, WTF is the big deal? This thread made me, and others I'm sure, aware that we needed to take the time to check the back of this DVD as the lame studio didn't label it clearly. If you don't care, don't click the thread, easy concept.
Old 09-30-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The big deal is that everybody here is so fire-in-the-belly-hell-bent on educating others on OAR widescreen, but they can't educate themselves to check a DVD to see what they are buying. It baffles me.
Old 09-30-03, 11:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If a thread is helpful to even one person, it's worth posting. And it seems this has been helpful.

Lighten up.
Old 09-30-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread was created for people like me who would pick up the wrong disc even if the entire front cover said FULLSCREEN and just had scarface in little letters under it. Actually it has only happened once or twice but they have been discs that were pretty obvious to the naked eye that it was full not wide.
Hint, don't click on the post if all you are going to do is chastise those who apparently don't have the intelligence level that you do.
Old 09-30-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice thing about Circuit City is that it's labeled in big black on white letters on the sealed cover if it's Widescreen or not. When I grabbed my copy of Scarface this morning I didn't see any Full screen versions, just Widescreen.
Old 09-30-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

C'mon, really..all it takes is a moment to see what you're getting..
I agree 100%. I agree that these threads are great....for those who are lazy and in such a complete rush in life. no really.....many dont research purchases ahead of time and these threads help to inform. but I still dont see how someone can pick up the wrong release if they are paying attention. having to return it just ups the cost since wasting gas and time both cost $. plan ahead...take your time...and save yerself some $ and stress.

dont ASSUME anything. it does nothing but bite you in the ass.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 09-30-03 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the hell is your problem with this thread? I didn't know there was a fullscreen version of this coming, and when a title doesn't say anything, I assume there is only version..THANKS RYPRO FOR THE HEADS UP.

Pixy, you really need to find something better than criticizing this thread.
Old 09-30-03, 12:45 PM

I am repeating the most important part of this thread as we have gotten a little off-track (many people just pull straight to the bottom of a thread, and those people may be the same as those that don't look before purchasing!!).
HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART OF THIS THREAD:
I almost bought the fullscreen Scarface, but realized it and got the widescreen. It is written on the back of the dvd (aspect ratio, etc.) and on the top of the spine of the dvd. It is NOT on the front cover like most dvds today. Just take an extra second to look at it and all should be fine.
Old 09-30-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The big deal is that everybody here is so fire-in-the-belly-hell-bent on educating others on OAR widescreen, but they can't educate themselves to check a DVD to see what they are buying. It baffles me.
The vast, vast majority of DVDs released come in only one version (usually OAR). When any title (especially a major one) comes in different versions, with only subtle differences in the packaging to indicate, it is always a great idea to shoot up a reminder to people.

I know that I'm a pretty careful, educated consumer. And I buy a lot of DVDs. And I've been buying VHS, LDs, and DVDs since the dawn of the formats. But even I have fallen victim to this trap... walking out of the store with Spielberg's A.I. in hand, only realizing when I got home that I did not check to see if I had the widescreen. (Luckily, I did... but I could have just as easily come home with the fullscreen.)

In answer to your question, 'the point of this thread' is to remind people to check the back of the box to make sure that they aren't buying the wrong version. If that saves one person from having to make a trip back to the store for an exchange, wasn't that worth it? I honestly have no clue what your issue is...
Old 09-30-03, 01:38 PM
Rest in Peace

I always look at the back to if it's OAR and anamorphic, just cause it says widescreen doen't mean it's anamorphic!
Old 09-30-03, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the head up.

We all usually do check, but for these REALLY popular titles alot of us are very eager to get soits good to remind to check.. i can't wait to get this.

for 8 Mile, I went during my lunch hour to pick it so that I didn't have to wait til hours after work waiting for traffic to die down. I was in such a rush that i totally forgot that there was a FS version and behold i picked that up and didnt realize it til i was back at work.

Im getting the gift set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.