Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Identity Extended Version: Biggest DVD Screw Job!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I rented Identity on DVD and saw that it had an extended version (with seamless branching, alternate ending, etc.). Boy did I get screwed!

I watched the film twice over two days (theatrical version, then extended version), and let me save you the trouble if you get this DVD. On the extended version simply skip to chapter 28, and you will get to watch the entire 4 or 5 seconds they added to the movie!! A complete screw job!!

Don't worry, those 4 or 5 seconds added in are not worth seeing, and, IMO detract from the movie.

As a matter of fact, you could watch both versions and never see any difference! Especially if you watched them some time apart. This was footage that would have been better as an extra scene with the other deleted scenes. Hey, they could have put the deleted scenes back in and it would have been a little more justifiable!
Old 09-29-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think 'biggest screwjob ever' is a bit dramatic. Nothing ever stated it was a completely different movie, and nothing ever promised minutes and minutes of extra running time.

Identity was a decent movie and a decent DVD, nothing more.
Old 09-29-03, 10:38 PM

Yea, but if I sit through a supposedly "extended" version, and only get a few extra seconds of footage that, as I said, could have been an extra under deleted scenes, it seems like a pretty big screw job to me. I just saw the movie, and watching the "extended" version just wasn't worth the time.

Sorry for being so "dramatic". I guess you told me! Identity was a terrific movie and a run of the mill DVD.
Old 09-29-03, 10:40 PM

Besides, it did say alternate ending and not alternate crappy flash-back sequence.
Old 09-29-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the Director wanted those scenes added back, so if you don't like it, watch the Theatrical version. I haven't seen Identity yet, but this sounds like what 90% of the studios do with there so-called "Unrated" versions. They just add Dialouge (sp?) & then they can market it as such. Pitch Black comes to mind doing this, just be happy CTS didn't release 2 or 3 versions of Identity. They could have released it like this
*cough*Universal*cough*
Identity R-Rated Full Frame
Identity R-Rated Widescreen
Identity Extended Full Frame
Identity Extended Widescreen
Old 09-29-03, 10:45 PM

Listen, I'm not talking about an extra scene, I'm talking about 4 or 5 seconds!
Old 09-29-03, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by DVDmig
At which point were you explicitly informed that the additional footage was *not* only a few seconds? I could see a legitimate gripe being made if the DVD promised "15 minutes of never-before-seen footage!" but I'm looking at the DVD case right now and see nothing giving the exact length of the extended footage. If you chose to interpret it as something more than what is written on the back of the case, that's your fault. As others have pointed out, DVD companies typically advertise extra footage on a DVD even if it does only amount to a minute or two. No one's twisting your arm to even watch the extended cut if it offends you that badly. So essentially, you got "screwed" by having a nice anamorphic 5.1 DVD with seamless branching options, a director's commentary, deleted scenes, storyboards, and a featurette. Yeah, that's the biggest screwjob of the century.
Old 09-29-03, 11:51 PM

There IS an extra scene, anyway, about 90 seconds long. It's in the middle somewhere, and I certainly noticed it.
Old 09-29-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I found this while looking around in another news site

"Chapter 5 is a minute or 2 longer. It includes a scene at the end of the chapter when the Psychiatrist enters the building and walks in on the hearing."
Old 09-30-03, 12:50 AM

I stand corrected. What a great DVD! I wish I had bought it!

BTW--The ending of both versions is the same. They end the same way. Therefore.....it is not an alternate ending.
Old 09-30-03, 01:46 AM

Someone definitely needs to take their paxil. Identity was a decent movie. Since this movie is a thriller a few seconds of footage could give away the ending or put a different perspective on things. The director does a good job explaining the difference and why he did what he did. I felt somewhat jilted at the end but I wouldn't call it a screw job.
Old 09-30-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just sorry that to you, a "screwjob" equates to "about 4 or 6 seconds". Medical treatment IS available.
Old 09-30-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Besides, it did say alternate ending and not alternate crappy flash-back sequence.
Whatever you do, don't buy the '28 Days Later' DVD then!
Old 09-30-03, 07:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You can tell where the extended footage is by watching the commentary over the extended version...there are gaps of silence over the two parts in question, cutting off the director mid-sentence.

Good commentary, by the way. The director is genuinely humble and takes time to recognize all the various people and their contribution to the final film.
Old 09-30-03, 08:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the "alternate ending" that the DVD supposedly had. The extended version had no alternate ending, so it should not even have been mentioned.
Old 09-30-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDmig is a perfect example why some people should not be allowed to purchase DVDs. They do not get it!

Like I said in another Identity thread if you took the time and watched the special features you would be enlightened to find out that a number of deleted scenes are in both black and white and color. Those segments that are in black and white are "extended."

Identity was a great movie, I am not sorry that DVDmig did not understand the concept of this movie. But sometimes one has to be smarter than the inanimate object one is dealing with.
Old 09-30-03, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Like I said in another Identity thread if you took the time and watched the special features you would be enlightened to find out that a number of deleted scenes are in both black and white and color. Those segments that are in black and white are "extended."has to be smarter than the inanimate object one is dealing with.
Uh, no.

The black and white is from the original cut of the movie, the color is the deleted scene. The b&w stuff is included to show you exactly how the deleted scene fits with the rest of the film.
Old 09-30-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Uh, no.

The black and white is from the original cut of the movie, the color is the deleted scene. The b&w stuff is included to show you exactly how the deleted scene fits with the rest of the film.
Okay so I reveresed the colors, but at least I was able to notice a difference unlike the OP who thought the movie was a waste.
Old 09-30-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suggest not buying "unrated" dvd versions if this is such a major problem. The unrated and rated versions on any given title usually have the same run time...usually they include an extra few seconds of a sex scene etc.....

I would agree that an extended version should be more than a few seconds of footage but hey....if we owned all movies here at dvdtalk can you imagine how good dvds would be? No longer would we have to put up with barebones releases...subpar transfers.
Old 09-30-03, 10:43 AM

Okay so I reveresed the colors, but at least I was able to notice a difference unlike the OP who thought the movie was a waste.
The original poster wasn't talking about the deleted scenes, he was talking about the "Extended Version," where the new material is seamlessly integrated into the film.
Old 09-30-03, 10:55 AM

DVDmig is a perfect example why some people should not be allowed to purchase DVDs. They do not get it!

Like I said in another Identity thread if you took the time and watched the special features you would be enlightened to find out that a number of deleted scenes are in both black and white and color. Those segments that are in black and white are "extended."

Identity was a great movie, I am not sorry that DVDmig did not understand the concept of this movie. But sometimes one has to be smarter than the inanimate object one is dealing with.

Oh, I understood the movie just fine. I was just disappointed with the extended version. I was disappointed with sitting through another 90 minutes of the same film. I don't think you understood the deleted scenes.

I guess I just expect better from DVD makers. Everybody here seems used to being let down by the home movie industry's products, and so just gives up and takes whatever is handed to them. Personal attacks on my intelligence don't make the extended version any better.

I didn't know that everyone who bought the DVD would be sensitive about my opinion that the extended version was garbage! I'm not saying you wasted your money. I wonder...did you guys buy the disc thinking you were getting two films and you feel cheated now, but you can't handle it, so you're taking it out on me?
Old 09-30-03, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
I think 'biggest screwjob ever' is a bit dramatic. Nothing ever stated it was a completely different movie, and nothing ever promised minutes and minutes of extra running time.

Identity was a decent movie and a decent DVD, nothing more.
BTW--I didn't say "biggest screwjob ever"!
Old 09-30-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, but BIGGEST implies there is none bigger.

www.dictionary.com is your friend.
Old 09-30-03, 03:42 PM
Suspended

DVDmig, guilty of of being a new member, how dare you!! And for those saying Identity is a "great" movie, really better use dictionary.com and look up what "great" is supposed to mean.
Old 09-30-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if this DVD was a double dip, maybe i would agree with you, but the extended version is just that, extended, whether 2 seconds or 20 minutes. this DVD gives you a choice between which version to watch and doesnt charge you extra to see the extended version, so i dont see this as a "screw job". i dont think they were trying to rip anyone off, i think the director wanted a few things reinserted and thats what he got to do. either way its your choice and a nice choice to have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.