Reload this Page >

Scarface box set availability?

Community
Search

Scarface box set availability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard from a Universal Rep that this box will only be available trough the end of the year.

Does this mean that stores won't over re-stock as dgc mentioned?

Absolutley Not!

But after the first of the year, according to Universal, what's out there will be it!!

Get 'em while you can Montana fans.

T
Old 09-30-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was crazy at my Best Buy. People were lined up at 9:30. When we opened the doors at 10, people ran towards the DVD section, trampling other people. Insane. We had to give out tickets for the box sets.

Luckily, I work there...I bought mine at 9:50.
Old 09-30-03, 01:07 PM

Went to best buy around 10:30am this morning...they only had 1 left on the table and I grabbed it...the guy said it was the last one and there were other people walking behind me looking for it as well...he did say another store got in around 300 sets while this one only received less than 10...I guess it depends which bb you go to....
Old 09-30-03, 01:11 PM

I stopped by my local Strawberries to take advantage of the $20 rebate on this set (bringing it down to $29.99). This was around 11am and the clerk said that he had sold 6 copies of the deluxe set and only one copy of the regular 2 disc edition.
Old 09-30-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was at FYE at 10 am to take advantage of the $20 MIR , a decent line of people ( less than 20 ) . They were also giving out the full-sized movie poster.
Old 09-30-03, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
it IS on this dvd. its just broken up into little featurettes. (which btw, you can "play all" if you want.
Thanks for the correction, that's good to know.
Old 09-30-03, 02:18 PM
dgc

A coworker of mine just came back from our local B&M. They sold out of the box set (200 copies) by 12:30-1:00. They reordered and expect to receive them late next week.

For those that got shut out, you might as well order from Amazon.
Old 09-30-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

my local Best Buy had about 15-20 on the table this morning as soon as they openned. Went for a few minutes just to check out the other releases, and then upon coming back to the table. There were like, 3 left. I of course, took one Great set!
Old 09-30-03, 02:24 PM
dgc

Originally posted by dvds4all
I have heard from a Universal Rep that this box will only be available trough the end of the year.

Does this mean that stores won't over re-stock as dgc mentioned?

Absolutley Not!

But after the first of the year, according to Universal, what's out there will be it!!

Get 'em while you can Montana fans.

T
Didn't they do the same thing with the ET box set? It's been 9 months since. How easy is it to find the ET box set now?
Old 09-30-03, 03:26 PM
Cool New Member

Hi:

I went to my local Best Buy this morning, got there right at 10am and just as I was parking, a good number of people started makin' their way in. I got in and there were like three box sets left. I grabbed one not intending to really buy it, but just to see what it looked like and what not. I then grabbed the regular 2 disc set.

A few minutes passed by and I found myself lookin' at other stuff in the store. Was workin' my way back to the table to put the gift set back, when this dude comes out of the blue and offers to pay me $60 cash right there for the set! He's all like there are no more left, and he REALLY wanted one...

I was more than happy to fulfill his gangsta' needs and walked out a very happy camper! $$$
Old 09-30-03, 03:43 PM

Other than the box set, did anyone have trouble picking just the 2 disc set? The Circuit City I go to here in Miami was sold out by 12:00. One clerk told me about 60 people were waiting outside the store this morning in order to buy it. Luckily for me the last three copies were in the store room. I have never seen a title sell out so quickly!! Must be the Gangstas!
Old 09-30-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by dgc
Didn't they do the same thing with the ET box set? It's been 9 months since. How easy is it to find the ET box set now?
The ET box set can still be found at virtually every online store.
Old 09-30-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dsilva71
Other than the box set, did anyone have trouble picking just the 2 disc set? The Circuit City I go to here in Miami was sold out by 12:00. One clerk told me about 60 people were waiting outside the store this morning in order to buy it. Luckily for me the last three copies were in the store room. I have never seen a title sell out so quickly!! Must be the Gangstas!
Not that I was buying it there, but my CC was sold out at 415PM of the standard version. I have my Box set ordered from Amazon, and was going to pick up Fargo:SE, and just wanted to see Scarface, so I asked, and they didnt get any Boxsets in, and sold out of the standard release. They said the line was HUGE
Old 09-30-03, 06:09 PM
Banned

There were plenty of copies left of the regular versions at my Circuit City. I must also say that it's not a "Gangsta" neighborhood...
Old 09-30-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
FYE seemed to have plenty behind the counter when I went today. Although the Fairfield, CT. Coconut was sold out when I got there this afternnon.

My Borders only got 1.
Old 09-30-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the stores around here sold out of the box set, but the 2-disc was plentiful. I got one of the 2-disc and ordered the box set from Amazon for $37.xx shipped to keep sealed.
Old 09-30-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a universal release. I expect (or should I say Hope) that they will over do a release of this by printing up more then enough like when E.T. was released. "It's your last chance to buy it EVER!!!"... six months later it's still collecting dust on the shelves.
Old 10-01-03, 12:20 AM

My local FYE had all copies of Scarface behind the counter. I got the last of the box sets. They didn't have any posters left though.
Old 10-01-03, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Dsilva71
I found this to be true as well...went to BB this morning to pick up the box set...got the last one at around 1030am...but they had tons and tons of the 2 disc regular set...you know, the BB display rack they use for new releases was stocked beyond capacity with scarface's...and then, I go back to BB tonight at around 8pm looking for something else...and guess what, that whole rack with a zillion scarfaces was empty!! No kidding, empty!! I only saw 3 full screen versions left on the new release table...and that was it!! How many scarface dvd's were sold today anyway?? I have never seen something sell so fast!!

The circuit city I went to was sold out of the 2 disc set as well...

I am baffled about the popularity of this movie...across all demographics....
Old 10-01-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by yeek
I am baffled about the popularity of this movie...across all demographics....
I honestly think a lot of young people (I saw several that I doubt had ever seen the movie) bought this movie just because they think there are suppose to since its a fixture in every rappers home. I hope the 80's clothes and soundtrack really pisses them off.
Old 10-01-03, 03:05 AM
Banned

I also have never seen this at my Circuit City on opening Tuesday for any release.
Could this dvd be the biggest selling "R" rated movie of all-time?
For the popularity of this movie, why would anyone not want to buy it widescreen since they have never seen it that way?
Imagine all those with their fullscreen copies and then when they look at the documenteries with the widescreen scenes there going to be kicking themselves.
They'll be saying " Damn there's more damn movie in da widescreen".
Old 10-01-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my local BB's that was "sold out" yesterday restocked today. Might be worth a call if you are still looking for one.
Old 10-01-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by darkside
I honestly think a lot of young people (I saw several that I doubt had ever seen the movie) bought this movie just because they think there are suppose to since its a fixture in every rappers home. I hope the 80's clothes and soundtrack really pisses them off.

Youc an also thank the popularity of Rockstar's game GTA: Vice City for the surge of popularity of the 80's "gangsta" image.
Old 10-01-03, 07:21 PM

Just received mine (boxset) in the mail and it's physically quite large. I was somewhat surprised at this!
Old 10-01-03, 07:23 PM

Picked it up at Sam Goody's in Danville , Kentucky. I only saw two of them and I bought one.

On the other hand, they had I know at least 100 copies of two-disc anniversary DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.