The Borg Megacube

Community
Search

The Borg Megacube

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Borg Megacube

Has anyone Heard of an R1 release for this collection ...

"The Borg Megacube. This set will include every single episode from all seven seasons of the highly acclaimed Sci Fi TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Containing no less than 48 DVDs and boasting a £449.99 RRP, this could be the largest and most expensive commercial DVD box set released to date. "

http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php...thread&order=0
Old 09-24-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to think all we get are flimsy card board boxes. Paramount officially sucks.
Old 09-24-03, 11:27 PM

Paramount officially sucks.
I wouldn't go that far. At least they gave us the whole series already on DVD by season. I have had all seven seasons for a while now and enjoy them very much. Yes, that packaging is awesome, but it is being marketed as a collector's thing.... not something for everyone. It is limited to 1,000 copies. Just think - if Paramount had released this over here first, we would all be whining and telling them they suck for not selling by season and forcing everyone to buy the whole set. I have no problem with this being released. And if they come out with the "Worm MegaHole" for DS9, I don't care. If they want to repackage and market to the collectors - fine by me. If I were them, I would release and re-release as long as I could sell them. That's good 'ol capitalism for ya! As long as there are obsessive collectors like me, they will release stuff over and over again. More power to 'em.
Now I will agree that the R1 packaging was not the greatest in the world, but hey, I got one of my top 5 TV shows on DVD to watch whenever I want. So no complaints from me.

Last edited by ZackR; 09-24-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds like a great deal! All 7 seasons for under $500. If one were to buy all 7 seperately it would be over $700. I only have Season 5 right now, so maybe I'll hold off on buying more seasons and wait for the Borg Cube. I'd have an extra Season 5, but I could always try and sell that.
Old 09-24-03, 11:40 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by calhoun07

And to think all we get are flimsy card board boxes. Paramount officially sucks.
The "megacube" looks like a flimsy cardboard box. Does the clock come with it?
Old 09-24-03, 11:44 PM

Thats £449.99 so more around $700.00 + US dollars I think..not sure of conversion rate ..But being that it says "1000 worldwide" & its an R2 release it will probably never make it here...Unless 500 are R2 & 500 are R1 but thats highly unlikely ..I'd be very tempted to get this though ..Would love the set & have held off on purchasing so far .......Hope they do something like this here for TOS
Old 09-24-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

450.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 744.168 USD United
States Dollars
Old 09-25-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I'd stick with individual seasons. Where the heck would you stick such a large box on a DVD organizer? Certainly wouldn't fit on a shelf and I don't think I'd look too great sitting on the floor by itself.
Old 09-25-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
This sounds like a great deal! All 7 seasons for under $500. If one were to buy all 7 seperately it would be over $700. I only have Season 5 right now, so maybe I'll hold off on buying more seasons and wait for the Borg Cube. I'd have an extra Season 5, but I could always try and sell that.
Looking in that context i suppose you are right...however it's still a substantial amount of money in anyones book i would think to outlay in one go....particularly at this time of year when the 'quality' of the new releases coming up is increasing and also with christmas on the horizon the finances need to be diverted elsewhere, well, certainly in my instance at any rate.
I suppose the one comforting factor for anyone wishing to pick this up is that with such a high RRP i can't see the 1000 sets selling out quite as quickly as other sets of similar limitability.

Last edited by RichDB10; 09-25-03 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-25-03, 11:17 AM

Found a little more info on it ....
All sets come in original packaging held in "Pods" inside the cube...comes with"limited edition collector's card and a Star Trek Next Generation clock. "

Amazon UK has it for pre-order for £338.23 which is actually quite a bit cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...024457-4897267
Old 09-25-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ttiberius
Amazon UK has it for pre-order for £338.23 which is actually quite a bit cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...024457-4897267
Certainly is!!...maybe it's a mis-price?? the good thing is Amazon have done this before on a couple of occasions and always honoured the mis price so get those orders in if you want one...with the extra £100 or so saved you'd be able to afford a whole new shelving unit on which to house the package
Old 09-25-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichDB10
Certainly is!!...maybe it's a mis-price?? the good thing is Amazon have done this before on a couple of occasions and always honoured the mis price so get those orders in if you want one...with the extra £100 or so saved you'd be able to afford a whole new shelving unit on which to house the package
I think it's just the standard discount off MSRP.
Old 09-25-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vivarey
I think it's just the standard discount off MSRP.
of course!!..hadn't thought of that..haven't used Amazon UK for ages anyway and knew that they weren't offering 35% off pre-orders like they used to...i hadn't taken into account that that didn't mean they weren't offering some kind of standard discount.
Old 09-25-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget to subtract the 17.5% VAT charge if you order it from the US. That makes for a nicer price.
Old 09-25-03, 02:14 PM
Banned

Wow.....I'll take it

I haven't bought any of the Seasons of TNG.....but this is awesome all in one huge Borg Megacube(god, I'm such a dork) this would definetly be the way to go it looks like. Any idea if it will be Region 1? Do you think it would be better to just buy them sperately or buy this mondo set when/if it becomes available. If they were smart, they would put it out here in the U.S. before Christmas time. I want that thing so badly I'm drooling
Old 09-25-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok here we go. I was caught up in the rush of "must buy this now" blood but my head's cleared. There has been another super-dooper-special collectors set released in Europe before. Specifically in Germany at the end of 2002.

http://www.treknews.de/treknews/news...7788049450.php

Choose carefully before you shell out for some "ultimate" collector's package since these seem to be released more than once.

Last edited by Lurker1999; 09-25-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ttiberius
Found a little more info on it ....
All sets come in original packaging held in "Pods"
Those 'pods' which you mention are just the standard R2 packaging for the TNG sets...according to the picture off this stores website.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...2&title=137766

As R1 has never adopted this form of packaging (hard plastic cases) for any of it's season sets if a R1 'Borg Megacube' was going to be released i'm sure that like the German edition...would be presented slightly differently.
Old 09-25-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that would be a great release in R1....too bad Paramount won't release it here. i asked the Paramount rep about something like this awhile back and he said that since nobody made any noise about it, it won't happen here.
Old 09-25-03, 07:42 PM

Hadn't considered buying it but now I might. Like was mentioned, if you order outside the EU, vat of 17.5% is deducted so that make s the price US$480. Figure shipping is $20-30. It'd be like getting two seasons free AND a corny looking clock. Hmmm....

Last edited by thawtz; 09-25-03 at 08:10 PM.