Community
Search

"R" rated Aswang in "unrated" case?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"R" rated Aswang in "unrated" case?

anyone pick this up? I just recieved my "big brown truck" order and was excited about watching this. I ordered the unrated special edition. upon opening the dvd....first thing I noticed was the disc said R rated version. it still looks pretty nasty and gory...but I'm not sure if there should be more scenes of disgusting violence. I contacted Mondo Macabro but still waiting to hear back from them...so I thought I'd post it and see if anyone else bought this dvd. thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-03, 01:56 AM

bump and run for update.

Mondo HQ has informed me that it is a printing error. they did a recall...but a few early shipments slipped by. the R rated version contains only a trailer and is mainly used for rental. the unrated has all the extra features including the 2 commentaries. also on the unrated version....the complete "wrist suck" scene...which I can confirm I have. a few R rated labels got slapped on the unrated discs. thats all I was told.

the dvd/film got a depressing write-up here at dvdtalk. I think it deserves a little more love. seems like I'm the only one who bought it!
Old 09-11-03, 07:37 AM

I bought it too. I just checked and mine is the same as yours - says unrated on the case and r-rated on the disc - I didn't even notice until you brought it up.

Mine seems ok too though, it has all the extras that aren't listed on the r-rated version, so I'm assuming it's the unrated version.

Roy
Old 09-11-03, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Roy28
I bought it too. I just checked and mine is the same as yours - says unrated on the case and r-rated on the disc - I didn't even notice until you brought it up.

cool...if I hear anything else...I'll keep ya posted. I thought Mondo did a great job of responding to my emails...big...so far.
Old 09-14-03, 03:58 PM

I just came across the dvdtalk review of Aswang here. The review is of the r-rated version, but in the extras section he lists all the extras that are supposedly only on the unrated version.

If he's correct and was indeed reviewing the r-rated version (and he makes it fairly clear that he is, bringing it up more than once) -
then it seems that both discs have the same extras. If that's the case, we may actually have the r-rated version and not a mis-labeled unrated version.

Then again, the reviewer may also have gotten a mis-labeled disc, but he mentions reading the back of the case - so I think he would have noticed getting an unrated case with an r-rated disc enclosed.

This is getting a little confusing.

Roy
Old 09-14-03, 04:56 PM

yeah...I'm still concerned as well. when I was informed by HQ about the wrist sucking scene being only on the un-rated version...I felt secure because the scene is there on my copy. at least I think it's the complete scene as what I feel is unrated type footage is there...if that makes any sense at all. cant imagine what would be cut out....the gore and whatever violence is there. cant be 100% sure because this is my first time seeing any version. I'm not near my collection...but if you can find out running times of both...just time the version we have. again, I'm just going by what Mondo told me but I'd like to bring closure to this as well.
Old 09-14-03, 06:06 PM

My copy times out at 82 minutes and 36 seconds, although about 20 seconds of that is dead space at the end of the disc - the credits end at approximately 82:15.

Dvdempire and Amazon show the running time of both versions to be 82 minutes. The Imdb lists the running time of the R version as 82 minutes also, but has no info on the unrated version.