Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

ONE FROM THE HEART announced on DVD, as foolscreen!!!!!

Old 09-09-03, 07:58 PM

I read that ONE FROM THE HEART, coppola's visiual masterpiece, will finally be released on DVD, but as pan and scam!!!!!

Disc One

-A stunning new high-definition transfer, supervised by Academy-Award winning cinematographer Vittorio Storaro (APOCALYPSE NOW, THE LAST EMPEROR)

-Feature length, screen specific audio commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola

-Soundtrack remixed and remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound from the original Tom Waits studio sessions

-Isolated music-only track in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround

Disc Two

-The Making of ONE FROM THE HEART (1982): A fascinating look at the film and the filmmakers, this documentary was made during filming in 1981.

-The Dream Studio (2003): An inside look at the revolutionary Zoetrope Studios Hollywood launched by Francis Ford Coppola in 1980. This film charts the vision and optimism of the studio's early days through its financial turmoil and eventual sale. The Dream Studio reveals the truly groundbreaking ideas and the many innovations and inventions that were tried there for the first time and have since become the model for all modern filmmaking.

-Tom Waits and the Music of ONE FROM THE HEART (2003) An intimate portrait of the legendary singer/songwriter following his journey as he composes the words and music for Francis Coppola's movie musical. Through interviews and behind the scenes footage we get a rare view of his creative process and his collaborative relationships with director Coppola, singer Crystal Gayle and others.

-Previously unreleased demo recordings and alternate takes of Tom Waits' music for ONE FROM THE HEART

-Deleted and alternate scenes

-Videotaped rehearsals

-Story Boards

-Photo Gallery

-Easter eggs and rare footage from the Zoetrope vaults

Street Date: January 27, 2004
Retail Price: $29.95

and the one who reported this on another message boaed posted/mentioned

The new transfer is in the aspect ratio of 1.37:1

Well thats awful!
Old 09-09-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe thats the oar or oiar (original intended aspect ratio) or the person on the other message board was mistaken
Old 09-09-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

more proof
Technical Specifications for
One from the Heart (1982)

Page 18 of 23

Laboratory
Technicolor, USA

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm

Cinematographic process
Spherical

Printed film format
35 mm
70 mm

Aspect ratio
1.37 : 1

imdb.coim (plus the laserdisc was full screen.)
so better change your thread title
Old 09-09-03, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
more proof
Technical Specifications for
One from the Heart (1982)

Page 18 of 23

Laboratory
Technicolor, USA

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm

Cinematographic process
Spherical

Printed film format
35 mm
70 mm

Aspect ratio
1.37 : 1

imdb.coim (plus the laserdisc was full screen.)
so better change your thread title
But is weird, when this was shown in the theatres, it had to be formatted for 1:85, right??
Old 09-09-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
But is weird, when this was shown in the theatres, it had to be formatted for 1:85, right??
then again many of kubricks films were shot in 1:37, and matted to 1:85 and when they came on dvd unmatted, no one complained. (btw, is the movie any good)
Old 09-09-03, 09:05 PM

Here ya go:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0084445/technical
Old 09-09-03, 10:13 PM

I saw the restored version of this film recently at the Director's Guild in Hollywood. It was projected 1:37. Coppola spoke after the film and explained that it was shot in this ratio to approximate the old Hollywood standard that was used on older movie musicals. So, straight from the horse's mouth, it was shot 1:37 to be projected 1:37 - no reason to get upset.
Old 09-09-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As people have already mentioned, Full screen is the correct way to watch one from the heart, the prints I have seen of it prove that.

Plus--

It's a great movie.

29.95 is bit steep for a film that essentially went nowhere at the box office, but this is a gem, pick it up!
Old 09-09-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a highly stylized movie that is a visual treat, and finally being able to replace my old VHS copy is great news! And those extras look wonderful. Wow - this and The Outsiders SE!
Old 09-10-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you really think that with the cinematographer (Vittorio Storaro, no less) supervising the transfer and Coppola providing commentary and a wealth of supplements, that this would have been shown in anything other than OAR?

Really, people, just because something is not widescreen does not necessarily imply that it is Pan 'N Scan. Open-matte is another possibility, besides a 4:3 OAR. Try and relax a bit.
Old 09-10-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent news!

Many people are amazed when they find out this movie was filmed inside a soundstage.

Can't wait for this one
Old 09-10-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In addition to what others have said about, when the film was originally released theatrically in 1982, it was sent to theatres with instructions to be projected at 1.37:1. This is absolutely the correct and original aspect ratio.

DJ
Old 09-10-03, 12:40 PM

The R4 Australian DVD is full screen as well, and a great transfer. No extras on that.
Old 09-10-03, 12:47 PM

Oh My GOD, the proverbial wet dream for this Tom Waits fanatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid
Did you really think that with the cinematographer (Vittorio Storaro, no less) supervising the transfer and Coppola providing commentary and a wealth of supplements, that this would have been shown in anything other than OAR?
No, I actually assumed the Storaro would crop it to 2.0:1, like he does with everything else these days.
Old 09-10-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Case closed: I saw ONE FROM THE HEART in a theater when it came out in 1982 and it was indeed projected at 1.37. In fact, the flick caused a mini-controversy upon release as a lot of theaters refused to carry it, claiming that they didn't have the lenses required to screen a 1.37 film.

I saw it in a 14-plex in Amboys, New Jersey, about a half-hour ride for me at the time, as it was the only local theater showing it. And let me tell you, if you think some of those multiplex screens are dinky when showing a 1.85 film, you ain't seen nothing until you've seen a 1.37 film projected on one. Multiplex screen just do not have the height required to properly screen a 1.37 film.

I'll never forget walking out of the almost empty matinee of the flick, which takes place largely at night in the neon playground of Las Vegas, into the blinding glare of a New Jersey afternoon, and feeling like I'd just stepped off of a soundstage myself and back into harsh reality.

Anyway, it is an extremely interesting, if flawed, experiment and I'm glad to hear it's getting the 2-disk treatment.
Old 09-10-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
I saw it in a 14-plex in Amboys, New Jersey
I saw many flicks during the 80s at the Amboy Multiplex... including Warhol's Flesh for Frankenstein in 3-D! Sorry for the off topic, but that's a major nostaghia rush...
Old 09-11-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, most of the time I went there I was seeing stuff like CLASS OF 1984 at midnight with a sixer of beer tucked under my coat. I had no idea they were showing stuff like WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN, in 3-D no less!
Old 09-16-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope this isn't true
dvdfile.com
Once again taking the independent route, Francis Ford Coppola and American Zoetrope have today announced an exclusive distribution deal with Fantoma Films.

First up from the legendary American auteur is is landmark 1982 cult favorite One From the Heart, which will get the two-disc deluxe treatment on January 27th. While not a box office hit, it is a notable piece of Hollywood history - Coppola was one of first directors to make extensive use of computer technology to help realize the intricate visuals, and the film has amassed a dedicated cult following.

Newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen, extras are set to include an audio commentary by Coppola, the featurettes "The Dream Studio" (30 minutes) and "Tom Waits and the Music of One From the Heart" (12 minutes), unreleased demo recordings and alternate music takes, deleted and alternate scenes, rehearsal footage, storyboards, still galleries and additional footage. Retail is $29.95.
Old 09-16-03, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I hope this isn't true
dvdfile.com
Once again taking the independent route, Francis Ford Coppola and American Zoetrope have today announced an exclusive distribution deal with Fantoma Films.

First up from the legendary American auteur is is landmark 1982 cult favorite One From the Heart, which will get the two-disc deluxe treatment on January 27th. While not a box office hit, it is a notable piece of Hollywood history - Coppola was one of first directors to make extensive use of computer technology to help realize the intricate visuals, and the film has amassed a dedicated cult following.

Newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen, extras are set to include an audio commentary by Coppola, the featurettes "The Dream Studio" (30 minutes) and "Tom Waits and the Music of One From the Heart" (12 minutes), unreleased demo recordings and alternate music takes, deleted and alternate scenes, rehearsal footage, storyboards, still galleries and additional footage. Retail is $29.95.
well as long as its anamorphic, thats cool with me
Old 09-17-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well as long as its anamorphic, thats cool with me
Even if it's anamorphic 1.37:1?
Old 09-17-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another one to add to the must-buy list.