Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What should I look for in a new printer?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03, 06:35 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current printer is on it's last legs (ink carts?) and I'm planning of getting a new one soon. What should I look for in a new printer that would print out high quality covers? I know paper has a lot to do with the quality, but what charectoristics should a printer have? My current printer, a Cannon BJC-3000, does a so-so job. One complaint that I do have with my current printer is that on covers with large areas of one color, so much ink is put on the paper that it starts to get wavey.

Can't afford a $3000 color laser printer, but I'm not looking for a $100 cheapie either.

I did a search, and found a couple of threads asking for model reccomendations, but I was hope to get specific parameters to look for. (Though printer models would be appreciated too.)

TIA

-Videophile
Old 09-07-03, 04:14 PM

Probably the most important new feature on current mid-priced printers is the ability to print edge to edge without a margin. What this means in terms of DVD covers is that you can print a standard single cover on 8.5 x 11 paper. No need for legal size paper or methods to fool the printer into thinking its printing on larger format paper.

I personally have a couple Canon BJC6000 printers and don't have the ink problem you mentioned. The 6000 is of the same vintage as your 3000 so that problem may be more related to the type paper your using rather than the printer itself.
Old 09-10-03, 01:58 PM

I just bought the Canon i950 (@ $250). I am quite impressed with it's quality in printing DVD covers. I'm using Kodak's soft gloss 165 g/m paper.

Then again, if the cover isn't up to snuff, the quality of the printer just makes it worse. But for a good quality cover, this printer is a dream IMO.
Old 09-10-03, 09:19 PM

another big thumbs-up for the Canon i950. i use canon high resolution paper for dvd inserts since it's relatively cheap and looks real nice and bright. Canon just announced their new product line which will be available later this month, so you might want to wait to see how the i950's replacement measures up.

oh yeah... this printer is in the $200-250 range fyi
Old 09-13-03, 09:25 PM
Defunct Account

Thanks guys, I'll check the i950 out.

-Videophile
Old 09-14-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Something else you might want to consider that no one ever really mentions is the ink options a prospective printer will afford you. Regular dye-based inks will start to fade after a few years. Archival inks are guaranteed to last fade-free for anywhere from 25-100 years depending on the particular brand. There are some good mid-range printers that allow you the option of substituting archival inks in place of dye-based ones.
Old 09-14-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Add One more vote for the Canon 950i printer. It does a GREAT JOB!!!

Canon has a great website where you can compare everything too. Without too much thinking, you might guess it to be canon.com!
Old 09-16-03, 11:58 PM
Rest in Peace

I have a multifunction Canon F20 with a 36 bit scanner and most importantly it holds 8.5 X 11, 8.5 x 14, and 8.5 x '17' size photo paper. Borderless prints is what I was after, I also wanted a scanner and paid less than $150.