Question about 16 Candles/WS/Breakfast club

 
Old 09-05-03, 02:49 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 60
Question about 16 Candles/WS/Breakfast club

All of these new boxes say they have the music from various artists.

Were these songs not in the original dvds?

Is there anything different about em?
mrbisco is offline  
Old 09-05-03, 03:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,388
havent watched my discs yet. but i know for a fact that on Weird Science the Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" was not on the original DVD. It is now included in the movie during the scene where Lisa is going up the escalator in the mall. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Which one is the true theatrical version??
BuddyRevell is offline  
Old 09-05-03, 08:05 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,543
On the original VHS (and subsequent DVD) of Sixteen Candles omitted David Bowie's "Young Americans" and (I think) the theme from "Twillight Zone". There were others but those were the ones I really noticed.

When I got the new DVD, the first thing I checked was to see if they put David Bowie back. Yes!
TomOpus is offline  
Old 09-05-03, 09:38 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,531
Originally posted by BuddyRevell
havent watched my discs yet. but i know for a fact that on Weird Science the Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" was not on the original DVD. It is now included in the movie during the scene where Lisa is going up the escalator in the mall. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Which one is the true theatrical version??
I know when it first came out on cable(almost 20 years ago) that the song in the scene was pretty woman by Mr. Orbison. My wife had only seen the vhs version that she has owned for awhile, and when she watched the dvd, she like the "Weird Science" version better.
paradicelost is offline  
Old 09-15-03, 12:30 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,049
The "all original music now included" captions on the new discs thoroughly confused me as well.

Especially the one for "Breakfast Club." Unless I'm going completely insane, I definitely remember hearing the Simple Minds' song close out the "Breakfast Club" DVD I already own.

Why does the double-dipped version of "Breakfast Club" claim that it is the only version with the Simple Minds' song?
grunter is offline  
Old 09-15-03, 04:24 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Originally posted by TomOpus
On the original VHS (and subsequent DVD) of Sixteen Candles omitted David Bowie's "Young Americans" and (I think) the theme from "Twillight Zone". There were others but those were the ones I really noticed.

When I got the new DVD, the first thing I checked was to see if they put David Bowie back. Yes!
Was the "Twilight Zone" song in the original theatrical run of Sixteen Candles? I remember seeing it on an extended trailer on TV for the movie (which aired one night after Saturday Night Live), but I cannot recall it in the actual movie at this point.
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 09-15-03, 05:01 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Posts: 2,539
Originally posted by grunter
The "all original music now included" captions on the new discs thoroughly confused me as well.

Especially the one for "Breakfast Club." Unless I'm going completely insane, I definitely remember hearing the Simple Minds' song close out the "Breakfast Club" DVD I already own.

Why does the double-dipped version of "Breakfast Club" claim that it is the only version with the Simple Minds' song?
Are you sure they don't mean that it includes all the original music from the theatrical presentation? Meaning, when it was shown in theaters, the Simple Minds' song was at the end, as well as at the end of the VHS and DVD releases, but other songs were different? Cuz the older DVD definitely had the Simple Minds' song, as well as the VHS. So the key word is "all" and not so much "all original music". Perhaps?

K
Cornelius1047 is offline  
Old 09-15-03, 06:43 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,543
Originally posted by calhoun07
Was the "Twilight Zone" song in the original theatrical run of Sixteen Candles? I remember seeing it on an extended trailer on TV for the movie (which aired one night after Saturday Night Live), but I cannot recall it in the actual movie at this point.
I can almost swear it was. But I could be wrong. I hardly ever watch movies on free TV, so I don't think that might've tainted my memory. I'm pretty sure I saw it on video after seeing it in the theater. BUT... nothings for sure except for death/taxes/DVD re-releases... so I could be mistaken.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 09-16-03, 07:58 PM
  #9  
Uber Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Overlooking Pearl Harbor
Posts: 16,232
Can anyone confirm if the music on Breakfast Club is different from the original release...other than the remix, that is?
Blade is offline  
Old 09-16-03, 08:55 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,620
Originally posted by BuddyRevell
havent watched my discs yet. but i know for a fact that on Weird Science the Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" was not on the original DVD. It is now included in the movie during the scene where Lisa is going up the escalator in the mall. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Which one is the true theatrical version??
The original theatrical version has the Roy Orbison "Pretty Woman" song. To me, it's annoying hearing the Weird Science theme song playing in that scene and I am looking forward to eventually purchasing the new DVD. Too bad they mucked up the dialogue in one scene though.
DVDude! is offline  
Old 09-17-03, 02:04 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cloud City
Posts: 63
If you watch the preview for the set before the DVDs it states that only 16 Candles and Weird Science have new music. The listing on the sticker on the front of the DVD said something to the effect of "For the first time featuring the original music!" then below "featuring songs by... Simple minds" etc. The two most pronounced changes I have noticed is the escalator scene in WS now plays Van Halen's Pretty Woman cover, and the school dance in 16 Candles now has Bowies Young Americans as well as a song when Molly goes to talk to Jake Ryan and it is very bassy and harsh punk rock as opposed to before when it was soft and distant generic dance music. The different versions have such different feels to them that I am keeping both my copies on DVD.
landosystem is offline  
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.