Question about 16 Candles/WS/Breakfast club

Old 09-05-03, 02:49 AM

Question about 16 Candles/WS/Breakfast club

All of these new boxes say they have the music from various artists.

Were these songs not in the original dvds?

Is there anything different about em?
Old 09-05-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

havent watched my discs yet. but i know for a fact that on Weird Science the Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" was not on the original DVD. It is now included in the movie during the scene where Lisa is going up the escalator in the mall. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Which one is the true theatrical version??
Old 09-05-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On the original VHS (and subsequent DVD) of Sixteen Candles omitted David Bowie's "Young Americans" and (I think) the theme from "Twillight Zone". There were others but those were the ones I really noticed.

When I got the new DVD, the first thing I checked was to see if they put David Bowie back. Yes!
Old 09-05-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
havent watched my discs yet. but i know for a fact that on Weird Science the Roy Orbison song "Pretty Woman" was not on the original DVD. It is now included in the movie during the scene where Lisa is going up the escalator in the mall. Kind of annoying if you ask me. Which one is the true theatrical version??
I know when it first came out on cable(almost 20 years ago) that the song in the scene was pretty woman by Mr. Orbison. My wife had only seen the vhs version that she has owned for awhile, and when she watched the dvd, she like the "Weird Science" version better.
Old 09-15-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "all original music now included" captions on the new discs thoroughly confused me as well.

Especially the one for "Breakfast Club." Unless I'm going completely insane, I definitely remember hearing the Simple Minds' song close out the "Breakfast Club" DVD I already own.

Why does the double-dipped version of "Breakfast Club" claim that it is the only version with the Simple Minds' song?
Old 09-15-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TomOpus
On the original VHS (and subsequent DVD) of Sixteen Candles omitted David Bowie's "Young Americans" and (I think) the theme from "Twillight Zone". There were others but those were the ones I really noticed.

When I got the new DVD, the first thing I checked was to see if they put David Bowie back. Yes!
Was the "Twilight Zone" song in the original theatrical run of Sixteen Candles? I remember seeing it on an extended trailer on TV for the movie (which aired one night after Saturday Night Live), but I cannot recall it in the actual movie at this point.
Old 09-15-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by grunter
The "all original music now included" captions on the new discs thoroughly confused me as well.

Especially the one for "Breakfast Club." Unless I'm going completely insane, I definitely remember hearing the Simple Minds' song close out the "Breakfast Club" DVD I already own.

Why does the double-dipped version of "Breakfast Club" claim that it is the only version with the Simple Minds' song?
Are you sure they don't mean that it includes all the original music from the theatrical presentation? Meaning, when it was shown in theaters, the Simple Minds' song was at the end, as well as at the end of the VHS and DVD releases, but other songs were different? Cuz the older DVD definitely had the Simple Minds' song, as well as the VHS. So the key word is "all" and not so much "all original music". Perhaps?

K
Old 09-15-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by calhoun07
Was the "Twilight Zone" song in the original theatrical run of Sixteen Candles? I remember seeing it on an extended trailer on TV for the movie (which aired one night after Saturday Night Live), but I cannot recall it in the actual movie at this point.
I can almost swear it was. But I could be wrong. I hardly ever watch movies on free TV, so I don't think that might've tainted my memory. I'm pretty sure I saw it on video after seeing it in the theater. BUT... nothings for sure except for death/taxes/DVD re-releases... so I could be mistaken.
Old 09-16-03, 07:58 PM
Uber Member

Can anyone confirm if the music on Breakfast Club is different from the original release...other than the remix, that is?
Old 09-16-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
The original theatrical version has the Roy Orbison "Pretty Woman" song. To me, it's annoying hearing the Weird Science theme song playing in that scene and I am looking forward to eventually purchasing the new DVD. Too bad they mucked up the dialogue in one scene though.
Old 09-17-03, 02:04 AM

If you watch the preview for the set before the DVDs it states that only 16 Candles and Weird Science have new music. The listing on the sticker on the front of the DVD said something to the effect of "For the first time featuring the original music!" then below "featuring songs by... Simple minds" etc. The two most pronounced changes I have noticed is the escalator scene in WS now plays Van Halen's Pretty Woman cover, and the school dance in 16 Candles now has Bowies Young Americans as well as a song when Molly goes to talk to Jake Ryan and it is very bassy and harsh punk rock as opposed to before when it was soft and distant generic dance music. The different versions have such different feels to them that I am keeping both my copies on DVD.