Search

New releases missing Closed Captioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New releases missing Closed Captioning

Sorry if this was posted couldn't find anything
I have found that 2 new releases that indicate they have CC (closed captioning) for the deaf and hard of hearing on the packaging simply don't have it there.
Mr. Show Season 3
and
Jim Henson's The Storyteller
since neither of these have subtitles this could be an issue for some consumers. While I am not deaf I have to watch at a low volume sometimes and find them helpful especially if there are no subtitles on the disc.
I will try these on a different machine to verify.
Old 08-29-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some releases do have CC, but not as a "regular" subtitle stream.

In that case, you'll need an old fashioned CC-decoder to get the captions on your screen. It's really a thing of the past (to generate subtitles on VHS movies, for example), and I wouldn't know why companies would still encode captions like that, but it still happens.....
Old 08-29-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Mr. Show does have the closed captions, but no subtitles. See if your TV can display them-most newer ones can. They will also work on a DVD-ROM drive.
Old 08-29-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
A lot of things that are released for TV first are encoded with Closed Captions, because most tv's that are say 8 years old or less have internal decoders. I also use CC, even on regular tv sometimes, because I don't hear 100% and I have to keep the volume down [nighttime, baby's in bed, etc.].
I prefer subtitles, because they're usually prettier and take up less screen real estate, but I wish everything came with either CC or subs. [in English, please--I'm currently watching Six Feet Under, which has English CC's and Spanish subs.]
But yes, turning Subtitles on is a feature of the DVD player, turning Captions on is usually a feature of the TV. You'll probably have to go into the Menu or Options on your TV. Some tv remotes even have a 'CC' button that cycles through the caption options [none, CC1, CC2 [never seen it used], CCText and CC Mute.]
I don't know the technical details, but Captions are encoded into the video signal of the actual program [so the captions on a dvd are probably exactly what you'd see if you caught the show live], whereas subtitles are coded 'after the fact' onto the DVD. I think.

Why a company would create a DVD, that wasn't taken from a television source, and use captions instead of subtitles, that I don't know.
Old 08-29-03, 10:05 AM

The Farscape DVDs don't have subtitles, and I don't think they have CC either. The "Rocky and Bullwinkle" S1 set has neither subtitles nor CC.

My sister and I both use subtitles a lot, even though our hearing is normal, because we seem to have more difficulty understanding dialogue than most people do. Subtitles are also very convenient when heavy accents are involved. We also use the subtitles when our grandmother, who uses a hearing aid, visits.

Subtitles are much better than CC -- as dtcarson said, they're prettier and more compact, and they're also easier to read. Most importantly for me, my TV doesn't have CC. I really wish the companies would put subtitles on all their releases. I realize that English subtitles don't seem like a very "special" special feature, but they're pretty important to me.
Old 08-29-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dead & Buried, for all the work put into the discs, has no subs OR captions.
Old 08-29-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies I am well versed in my home entertainment system and know how to turn the captions on and off on the player as well as tv, I also know the difference between subtitles and captions, and utilize CC only when no subs are available.
The packaging on these releases have the CC tm
and nowhere on these 2 sets is closed caption present
I have tried them in three different DVD player TV combos
all with working CC capability turned on (as well as on the players
and nothing.
I am out of breath but if I bought these discs and had a hearing problem I would be pissed!