Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone listen to more than 5min of the BFC commentary?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Admin note

Let's try and make this the first Michael Moore-related thread in the Main Forum in which no one threadcraps ("lollers i used teh disc 4 a coaster so I havent listened 2 any of it") or goes off topic about how much they disagree with his politics. I'll be handing out suspensions to anyone who does any of the above, because I'm sick of editing Michael Moore threads. - Static
I thought I had listened to some bad commentaries in my time (William Fredikin describing what is happening on screen for the entire movie on The Exorcist DVD) but Bowling For Columbine takes the moldy cake.

I listened to about 5 minutes before shutting it off. Last night I was feeling particularly masochistic, so I thought I'd give it a listen while I re-organized my bookshelf.

I think the idea of having the interns do a commentary was a good one. That has a lot of potential. Seeing as they are saddled with all the ****-detail jobs, you'd think they could offer an interesting insight into Michael Moore, or how certain stunts and interviews in the movie were pulled off.

Instead, it's two hours of the most banal, moronic, and sometimes inappropriate comments. I felt like I was watching the movie in a dorm room with a bunch of drunk 17 year olds. Does Michael Moore really feel that these kids are the best representatives of his work?

Sample from the commentary:
Girl: 'Oh, my statistic is coming up!'
Other Girl: 'Which one?'
Girl: 'This one here. The "3000 civilians dead" that's my statistic.
Other: 'How did you figure that out?'
Girl:'I looked it up in a big book of statistics'

They have almost nothing to say about the making of the film. They have nothing to say about the politics of the film. They do however, have lots of time to point out which guy in the movie is the cutest (Cop in the beginning), and which one of Michael Moore's hats is the coolest. By the time it was over I thought I was drunk.
Old 08-24-03, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, i listened to the whole thing. i usually just put commentary tracks on in the background while i do other work. i never really hear much. from what i could tell it was just a nice opportunity for a bunch of people to get on the dvd of a film they worked on pretty hard behind the scenes.
Old 08-25-03, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was funny. "Namely, my EX-WIFE!!!"
Old 08-25-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I suffered through 15 minutes of it before I couldn't take anymore.