Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Moving a Large DVD Collection to a New Residence

Old 08-24-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone recently moved their DVD collection to a new house or apartment? I'm just trying to figure out what the ideal box size is for packing as many DVDs as possible into one box, but without making the boxes too heavy to carry. Also, any tips on how to protect them during the move so they don't get too jostled or banged up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Old 08-24-03, 02:52 PM

How heavy is heavy? I would say anything over 50 pounds would be considered a "heavy box" and that is about 125-175 dvds (depending on packaging and the number of 2 disc sets). I used some of those Rubbermaid tubs available at Wal-mart or Target when I moved a couple years back. I think I put 300 titles in one large tub, but it was very heavy and awkward. A couple of the medium size tubs should do the trick I would think.
Old 08-24-03, 03:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I just took my collection from Maryland to Texas. Are you moving them yourself, or having a moving company do it? I had a moving company do it, and to try and minimize any losses, I put all my actual DVDs into binders and took them with me, and marked the boxes as containing "empty DVD cases."

As far as the kind of box, I just used a small/medium one I got from Safeway (a grocery store), and that worked really well... sorry I don't know the actual dimensions. If you measure your DVD cases, you could probably get a good idea.
Old 08-24-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No matter what you do, it'll still be easier to move than a laserdisc collection. Dang, a box of those things is heavy!

Static has an excellent suggestion. Separate the discs from the boxes, if you can.
Old 08-24-03, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I juts moved a couple months ago and used empty paper boxes. If you (or anyone you know) works in an office environment, just grab the empties...DVD cases stack very neatly and you can get a ton in there without it getting too heavy.
Old 08-24-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TREX1993
I juts moved a couple months ago and used empty paper boxes. If you (or anyone you know) works in an office environment, just grab the empties...DVD cases stack very neatly and you can get a ton in there without it getting too heavy.
That's what I used as well when I moved recently.
Old 08-24-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I own a moving company and suggest the following. try to move the dvds yourself, unless you are using a company that is rated high with the BBB(like mine is). reasons are proper handeling and theft. also...the inside of my truck can get up to 135 degrees in the summer. not saying heat will kill them....but still. just a precaution. when I pack up collections for other people, I use standard size dishpak boxes that you can find at any box/packing supply store. I then wrap and seal each box in plastic wrap...again...depending on the weather. do not stack the dvds...but pack them tight on the spines. I may go a little overboard on protecting collections...but keeping my #1 ranking is what it's all about. good luck and be safe.

Edited to add: if a company is moving you...dont worry so much about the weight..a dolly will be used. if you are moving yourself...rent one.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 08-24-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-24-03, 08:51 PM
Rest in Peace

Originally posted by Static Cling
Yeah, I just took my collection from Maryland to Texas. Are you moving them yourself, or having a moving company do it? I had a moving company do it, and to try and minimize any losses, I put all my actual DVDs into binders and took them with me, and marked the boxes as containing "empty DVD cases."

As far as the kind of box, I just used a small/medium one I got from Safeway (a grocery store), and that worked really well... sorry I don't know the actual dimensions. If you measure your DVD cases, you could probably get a good idea.

I feel all DVD should be packaged with a folded paper towl to minimize the dics jumping the holder and scratching not to occur.
Plasic peanuts or bubble wrap use, may not allow you DVD to get damaged at all.
Old 08-24-03, 09:40 PM

I just moved a few months ago (470 dvds). I used empty paper boxes from work (from the copy room). I lined the boxes with three layers of bubble wrap. Then I packed the dvds tightly spine up. I covered the dvds with more bubble wrap. It took me five boxes to hold all the dvds.

I used a moving company, but moved the dvds myself in my car the day of the move. I didn't want to take the chance of them getting damaged or "misplaced". They survived the move perfectly. Didn't lose or damage any.

Good luck on your move!
Old 08-24-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did something very similar to DeeKay. I tightly packed the DVDs in boxes with bubble wrap around each bundle of 10 DVDs and taped those in place for roughly 500+ DVDs. I also decided not to take any chances with the collection, so they had a place in my car... I had to ensure that there would be no aggravation in terms of damage.
Old 08-25-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Just for clarification: I am just moving across town, and have a very trustworthy mover (I've used him a couple times before, and friends and family have as well), and therefore am not worried about theft. I am most concerned about not having the DVDs (or their boxes) damaged just by normal moving up and down stairs from the moving truck, etc. The box/bubble wrap suggestions are great. I may also look for those Rubbermaid containers, to see how those might work.

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I moved accross country, so my DVDs were in transit for a while in large boxes. I made the mistake of packing them in tight together. Good idea at the time... but bad mistake. The cases rubbed together... on anything paper based like the Godfather set, they're damaged A LOT... lots of wear. Ditto on my Buffy box sets. and the cases with that metalic stuff on it? (X-Files and X-Men) totally rubbed off. They are like this because they were at the top of the box, where they rubbed against the top of the wooden box. A couple of amrays were hurt too, but no big deal.

If you're moving accross town, this shouldn't effect you though.
Old 08-25-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently moved across town and I found it was best to get a bunch of boxes from a video store (I got mine from Blockbuster). They have these smaller boxes that are the same dimensions as a DVD case and hold between 28-35 DVDs, depending on what's going in there. It worked quite well. I found I could carry about 2-3 boxes at a time very easily and none of my cases were damaged.

As a side note, I moved my collection about 2 years before that (it was much smaller then) and I thought it would be good to pack a much larger box (again, from Blockbuster) with them very tightly and put a blanket on top. None of my cases got damaged, but the box was ridiculously heavy. Then again, I'm not the most muscular person I know either.

Either way, a video store is probably the best place to pick up boxes, if it's convenient for you. They're usually made to package DVDs anyway, so why not take advantage of that? You should probably go on a Tuesday morning right when the store opens to try and get the boxes before they're thrown into the dumpster. Maybe even Monday night to see if they'll set them aside for you.
Old 08-25-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I went to my local pharmacy and they gave me a long box that used to hold Noxzema products, let me tell you, about 200 DVDs fit in that thing. It was heavy but I buttressed the bottom with folded up cereal boxes and it held pretty well.
Old 08-25-03, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by DeeKay
I just moved a few months ago (470 dvds). I used empty paper boxes from work (from the copy room). I lined the boxes with three layers of bubble wrap. Then I packed the dvds tightly spine up. I covered the dvds with more bubble wrap. It took me five boxes to hold all the dvds.

I used a moving company, but moved the dvds myself in my car the day of the move. I didn't want to take the chance of them getting damaged or "misplaced". They survived the move perfectly. Didn't lose or damage any.

Good luck on your move!
I did the exact same thing when I moved, except that I simply stood the DVDs upright (as if they were sitting on a shelf with the spine reading top to bottom). Worked great!

Those copier paper boxes work great. Pretty durable and just the right size to hold a decent number of DVD cases without getting too heavy. Just make sure you tape the sides, though. They're sometimes glued together pretty poorly.
Old 08-25-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just moved into a townhouse, my 103 dvds fit in one giant book box (it was fairly heavy, my collection is mostly 2+ disc dvds) and none of them got bent or bruised.
Old 08-25-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shill66
No matter what you do, it'll still be easier to move than a laserdisc collection. Dang, a box of those things is heavy!
Yeah, those and vinyl LP's. Milk crates for those, and even then they're heavy! I imagine LD's are even heavier.

I'd second the idea of separating your paper cover DVD's if you've got a long bumpy move.