Search

Petition to get "Chicago" Re-Released on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 06:48 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petition to get "Chicago" Re-Released on DVD

Hi Everyone--

I've been peeking in on this forum for about a year now and I have finally decided to join.

I recently purchased the DVD to Miramax's "Chicago" and was dissapointed by the lack of Special Features and even the audio and video transfer. I have created a petition online to urge Miramax to re-release the film so that the DVD is a fitting companion to the movie.

If you are a fan of "Chicago", or a supporter of the DVD format, please take the time out to sign the petition. Petitions have worked in the past (just look at "Saved by the Bell"!) and I'm sure they could work now if enough people sign.

-Case
http://www.petitiononline.com/4chicago/petition.html
Old 08-21-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Deleted threadcrap - Static

Seriously, I wouldn't worry.
With the current pattern of studios often double, triple and quadruple-dipping on many popular titles, I am sure Chicago will get another release or two...or three.
Old 08-21-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...an initial release with inferior transfer and limited special features of a movie many people will simply have to own as soon as it hits the street. Followed later by a special edition with improved a/v quality and packed with extras?

Nah...that's just conspiracy theory thinkin'.
Old 08-21-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silly people. just the other day people were worried that they might double dip on this film in this thread.

Now you are fighting to get a double dip. seems like people just can't make up their mind.. I would have to say this.. at one point some station aired some behind the scenes dance feature on hbo or cinemax, etc. Is that what is being sought after? Well it aired once, why couldn't you record it? For most of my dvd's I usually have more of the features on the side either on my PC or recorded off TV.
Old 08-21-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I would have to say this.. at one point some station aired some behind the scenes dance feature on hbo or cinemax, etc. Is that what is being sought after?
The only docu I've seen was the VH1 special... and that's on the disc
Old 08-21-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Silly people. just the other day people were worried that they might double dip on this film in this thread.

Now you are fighting to get a double dip. seems like people just can't make up their mind..
Or maybe it's that some people feel one way, and others feel a different way.

What a concept.

Personally, I was hoping we'd get a 2-disc set, like the one for Moulin Rouge.

We'll probably get one eventually, and when we do, I'll be buying it.

Rob
Old 08-21-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, welcome to the forum, Case!

Rob
Old 08-21-03, 10:12 AM
Retired

Now you are fighting to get a double dip. seems like people just can't make up their mind..

People have made up their minds. We want the first release to have stellar A/V quality and good extras, negating the need for a re-release.
Old 08-21-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
It came with an insert, what else do you want??!!!
Old 08-21-03, 10:32 AM

I noticed a curious marking on the back of my "Chicago" DVD package...

In the bottom right hand corner way in the bottom with the copyright information you'll see the words "2003 Release" enclosed in a box.

You tell me.... sure sounds like Buena Vista Home Entertainment has more plans for this flick....?
Old 08-21-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
People have made up their minds. We want the first release to have stellar A/V quality and good extras, negating the need for a re-release.
the problem. While there are some standards on what exactly make up Good A/V quality, the Extra's is the factor which has varied standards. Some folks are more then happy with what is on the disc, others want so much more (the ones who are more in love with the film). So to say there isn't enough extra's when in reality, there is enough extra's is of course going to bring folks to a disagreement. If this was barebones I would agree that it needs more, But it is put together well. Sure we could ask for a 5 disc full super duper limited edition collectors set, but is it really needed? aslong as the dvd has good A/V and some extra's then we should just deal with it and enjoy it.
Old 08-21-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not just pick up the $24.99 CD/DVD combo that was released and bam second disc with extra features.
Old 08-21-03, 11:44 AM
Retired

I agree on Jack.

I rarely every watch any extra features. Hell I don't think I've watched a single one since LOTR: FOTR Extended Edition last fall.

I'm into watching movies for enjoyment, not film-making, so extra's really aren't interesting for me most of the time.

I just wish every studio would do a quality A/V the first time, as discs with sub par transfers and audio that get re-released to fix the problem is my major pet peeve.
Old 08-21-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 807 Likes on 487 Posts
It's Official: DVD Geeks are the biggest whiners in the Universe!
Old 08-21-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm absolutely thrilled that the current release has a DTS track and a Commentary. To me, those are the extra features that matter most. everything else is just fluff. Of course that's just my opinion. I don't see a need for me to double dip on this one.

Also, I thought Miramax had done away with inserts. Why the exception for this one? I'm not complaining or anything, it just seems a bit hypocritical.
Old 08-21-03, 12:10 PM

The current release is fine. This movie was seriously overrated. All the reviews stated it had a good transfer and great audio. It's the movie that counts.

doc
Old 08-21-03, 12:17 PM
Cool New Member

I'm missing what the problem is with the A/V on this current release. I've watched it on my 55" RPTV and found the video to be of very good quality, with only a fair amount of (presumably intentional) grain to distract from some scenes, while the DTS track is fantastic IMHO. The rear speakers don't get a lot of use, but I don't think a re-release will change this.
Old 08-21-03, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by wrdrobeguy
I noticed a curious marking on the back of my "Chicago" DVD package...

In the bottom right hand corner way in the bottom with the copyright information you'll see the words "2003 Release" enclosed in a box.

You tell me.... sure sounds like Buena Vista Home Entertainment has more plans for this flick....?
This has become a common practice for BVHE. The recently released COOL AND THE CRAZY and the upcoming ALIAS - SEASON ONE each have this detail on the packaging.
Old 08-21-03, 01:10 PM
Banned

"Petition to get "Chicago" Re-Released on DVD"

C'mon now do you really need to encourage them. Every DVD will get re-released eventually.
Old 08-21-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would never sign a petition to have a studio double-dip--it only encourages them, and it doesn't matter what the movie is to me.
Old 08-21-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guarantee if you were able to get twice as many people to sign a "Do Not Re-Release Chicago" as you will get to sign this, they will still re-release it as a two-disc set. No need for a petition cuz it is inevitable.

K
Old 08-21-03, 02:47 PM

Internet petitions don't work as it's hard to prove that the same person didn't sign it several times. And it's a stupid petition in the first place. Stupid.
Old 08-21-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KTIK
Internet petitions don't work as it's hard to prove that the same person didn't sign it several times. And it's a stupid petition in the first place. Stupid.
Be nice.
Old 08-21-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 807 Likes on 487 Posts
I'm going to start an Internet Petition. I demand that at some point in the next three weeks, I get to wear Monica Belluci's ass for a hat, because they didn't release the feature-laden multi-disc Canadian DVD set of Brotherhood of the Wolf in the United States.

I personally blame Di$ney, $teven $pielberg, George Luca$, $i$$y $pacek, hmm... who am I missing?
Old 08-21-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
... who am I missing?
an Insert?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.