Community
Search

Humidity and my dvds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 07:24 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humidity and my dvds...

This is really upsetting. Every now and again when I wake up for whatever reason some things in my room get wet from the combination of humidity and my AC. What I'm most concerned about right now are my dvds and tv. Half the DVDs will have like a thin film of wettness over the bottom of them. What are the chances of this ruining my dvds?
Old 08-08-03, 07:51 AM
Banned

I don't think it would ruin them mabye i'm wrong. I would just rinse them and dry with a soft towel before playing them.
Old 08-08-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, my place gets pretty humid when the AC is not on, but haven't ever had a problem with bad DVD's. The discs should be fine. I'd probably worry more about the well-being of your TV.
Old 08-08-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

An AC unit acts as a dehumidifier! You may want to check and make sure that the unit is allowing the condensate to be removed.

Is your unit a whole-house or an in-wall/window unit? You may have a drain line stopped up if it's a whole house unit or the wall/window unit may not have enough downward tilt to allow the condensate (water) to run off.

I'd check that 1st! Has this always been a problem or is this something new that you're experiencing?

Sonicflood
Old 08-08-03, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by matome
Yeah, my place gets pretty humid when the AC is not on...
Sonic, its just when his AC isn't on that it gets humid.
Old 08-08-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the only thing it could damage is the paper DVD cover inserts or cardboard cases. It *MIGHT* cause them to wrinkle and warp.

I have to run my AC all summer. Don't even think of turning it off around here.
Old 08-09-03, 12:47 AM
Cool New Member

I'm trying to remember if it actually happens when i shut off the ac and open the window or if it's like that the moment i wake up. I'll see how things turn out tomorrow morning. Every night though, the actually unit will drip a good amount of water, which I assume its from condensation. I'm actually concerned about everything in my room. It could be happening inside my pc as well.

Sonicflood, I said the same thing to my doorman about the fact that the AC should be dehumidifying the room after he mentioned it was probably the humidity in the room. Filled a work order...a guy is supposed to come to the apartment tomorrow to check out all the acs.

ACs are built into the wall. New apartment building in NYC. There are like ones that you would see at a motel. Pretty big. Does both heating and acing.

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-09-03, 05:01 AM
Banned

I would be concerned about any cd's, dvd's, laserdiscs, electronic equipment, books, posters, magazines. They are ALL supposed to be stored in a cool, dry place. IMO, it is the main reason for the so-called 'rot' in the laserdiscs and some dvd's. I have hundreds of laserdiscs and dvd's and not one of them has 'rotted.' not even the ones that others have had problems with. I believe this is because I've kept them cool in the summer time. The humidity would cause the platters to separate. No humidity. No problem.