Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Irreversible DVD ... no commentary!?

Old 08-04-03, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the specs I had read had commentary listed as a feature, which I was really keen on hearing. I saw a copy at a store tonight, though, and didn't see commentary on the back Does anyone know if there's two versions of it coming out, or any reasons why they would drop the commentary?
Old 08-04-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no commentary on the DVD which is not listed on the back of the case. also there are no deleted scenes and no making of the special effects which IS listed on the back of the case. disappointing developments with this DVD.
Old 08-04-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=294705
Old 08-04-03, 09:19 PM

That's a real downer ... I was looking forward to the commentary
Old 08-05-03, 07:55 AM

interesting...

The following paragraph was included in a review of the British R2 edition of Irréversible on www.bbc.co.uk:

"More was to have been featured on this disc, including a documentary, but instead we're left with film notes and trailer galleries. If your French is any good, you can get a two-disc set of Noé's Irréversible and Seul Contre Tous with two audio commentaries for Irréversible."

Well, according to the above paragraph, at least we know that two audio commentaries do in fact exist for Irréversible. Now, it is merely a matter of getting Lions Gate to release a signature series edition of the film later on down the line. It goes without saying that the R1 disc should have been packed with extras the first time around, but oh well. Here is hoping for a special edition. For the time being, the current R1 disc from Lions Gate is more than satisfactory in terms of video and audio. I went to www.amazon.fr, and I found the exact specs of the aforementioned set. It looks like we are also missing out on a commentary for Seul Contre Tous:

DVD 1 : Irréversible
• Le commentaire audio du réalisateur Gaspar Noé
• Le commentaire audio des acteurs Vincent Cassel, Monica Bellucci et Albert Dupontel
• Le reportage sur les effets spéciaux
• Les scènes alternatives
• Les court-métrages "Intoxication" et "Pulp Amer"
• Les projets d’affiche
• La bande originale du film sur un CD séparé
• Le livret avec filmographies des acteurs et du réalisateur + le scénario original

DVD 2 : Seul Contre Tous
• Le moyen-métrage "Carne" (dont "Seul Contre Tous" en est le prolongement)
• La bande-annonce

You can buy Irréversible with its special features as part of this two disc set, or you can buy it separately. Both editions are featured on Amazon's French website. Those of you with multi-region players (or simply R2 players), please remember that the commentaries do not feature English subtitles...at least that's what a reviewer on www.bbc.co.uk stated in his appraisal of the British R2 release of the film on DVD (as seen in the excerpt above). Looking at the above specs is very depressing for those of us who are left with the current R1 release from Lions Gate. Well, enough rambling. I hope someone finds this info interesting.
Old 08-05-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, this really sucks. That means that the US release is no better than the UK release except that my in-laws can watch it with spanish subtitles. What the hell happened to all these planned extras? I'd really like an insight as to the making of this film, but I can't speak french.
Old 08-05-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the 2 disc French set with the film and soundtrack and the extra deleted scenes, making of and technical aspects of the extinguisher scene are fascinating, albeit in French...This is a real shame about the Lion's Gate release, I would have liked a subtitled commentary and some other goodies. Signature Series? Reeks of corporate greed.
Old 08-05-03, 02:33 PM

I too have the R2 (Fr) box set - it's a great set, and as well as Seul contre tous having commentary there's also a commentary for Noe's earlier Carne.
I only remember there being one commentary track on Irreversible, however - and I think it just featured Noe? I must go back and check this, but I think the disc doesn't actually have a 2nd commentary track...
The French Irreversible (1 or 2 disc edition) also includes Thomas Bangalter's soundtrack on a separate audio CD.

Dazza.
Old 08-05-03, 11:30 PM

Do you think there's a good chance of the Signature Series? And if so, how long does it typically take them to come out after the initial release?
Old 08-06-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by profbobo
Do you think there's a good chance of the Signature Series? And if so, how long does it typically take them to come out after the initial release?
I don't know, when I was in Best Buy tonight it looked like only a few copies were picked up...unless they had just restocked the shelves. They had a ton of copies taking up 2 or three shelves in one section.

If it doesn't sell well now could we even hope to get our hands on a signature series release?
Old 08-06-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone translate those specs up there?
Old 08-06-03, 07:16 AM

DVD 1 : Irréversible

Commentary with Gaspar Noé

• Le commentaire audio des acteurs Vincent Cassel, Monica Bellucci et Albert Dupontel
Commentary with the actors (but as I said above, I don't recall this - I must look at my DVD again)

• Le reportage sur les effets spéciaux
A featurette on the special FX

• Les scènes alternatives
Deleted scenes (just one, as I recall)

• Les court-métrages "Intoxication" et "Pulp Amer"
Short films (not very exciting, IMO)

• Les projets d’affiche
posters/photo gallery (I don't remember this, but I remember several postcards inserted in the box; there are also all the trailers, teasers and so on on the DVD)

• La bande originale du film sur un CD séparé
Soundtrack album on separate CD

• Le livret avec filmographies des acteurs et du réalisateur + le scénario original
A booklet with the original script (very short!) and info on the director & stars

DVD 2 : Seul Contre Tous

Commentary by Gaspar Noé

• Le moyen-métrage "Carne" (dont "Seul Contre Tous" en est le prolongement)
Medium-length film (about 40 mins) Carne, which acts as the predecessor to Seul contre tous

• La bande-annonce
Trailer
Old 08-06-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I am disappointed that there’s no commentary, at least it wasn’t listed on the case. I’m more annoyed that the special features noted on the case are inaccurate and that Lion’s Gate hasn’t bothered to correct the specifications on their website. Grrrrr.
Old 08-06-03, 04:11 PM

Dazza, can you tell us if the cut of the film on your R2 disc is 99 minutes long? The R1 version is only 93 minutes in length, but it appears to be uncut. However, I have read that the French R2 disc features a 99 minute cut (allegedly the same length as the cut of the film that played at the Toronto Film Festival, according to imdb.com).
Old 08-06-03, 04:19 PM

I just watched the DVD yesterday. Poweful movie, but the extras suck. Two are music "videos" - I use that term loosely. The video consists of the same cinematic swirling motions/movement that is used in the film to transiton to an earlier scene. For the movie it works but as an ongoing visual presentation to music it does not work. And of course, no commentary.
Old 08-06-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

for the "umpteenth" time!!!

versions:
Tartan (Region/encoded 0/ PAL)-uncut!!

Palm Pictures/Lions Gate (Region 1 NTSC) Uncut!!

Korean Version-(region .3 NTSC) uncut BUT digitally blurred (Rectum scene)

French release- (region 2/PAL)-uncut!! (including the "coffret")

Dutch release (with a great DTS track/PAL)-uncut

And for the Record Gaspar Noe has stated that his movie HAS TO BE UNCUT when released (regardless of the region).

As far as disc times- blame the companies and their lack of vision- most everyone but the French and Dutch folks have proven that they have no idea how to manage extras (time specs included)!!

Full interview with comments by Noe and the status of the movie was shown on Filmnet!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-06-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 05:15 AM

Hulka - my R2 PAL disc "times out" at 93:31. The box however lists the running time as 99 mins.

As pro-bassoonist points out above, Noé is adamant that this film is released uncut, so I'd imagine the only cut ones out there (if there are any) will be unofficial, illegal copies?

Having gone back to look at my disc, here's what is actually on it (as opposed to the specs):

- Commentary with the director (there is no actors commentary present)

- Trailer

- 2 sets of teasers

- SFX documentary

- 2 music videos

- 1 Deleted Scene

- Short (5 minute) film "Intoxication"

The disc also comes with: soundtrack CD, script booklet (w/ director interview), 3 x postcards

The "Seul contre tous" disc that comes in the box set has these extras: 40 minute film "Carne", Commentary for both "Carne" & "Seul contre tous", "Seul contre tous" trailer, 3 x posctards, small (A4) poster.

Dazza.
Old 08-07-03, 09:12 AM

thanks

Dazza, thanks for the response; I appreciate it. As pro-bassoonist stated, the question of whether the film is presented uncut on dvd has been asked a lot. However, I merely wanted to make sure of the exact running time since various dvd cases of the film in different regions (as well as imdb.com and other websites) list conflicting running times. Again, thanks for the response. You confirmed what deep down I already knew to be true (i.e., that the film is in fact 93 minutes long...as opposed to being 99 minutes long or any other inaccurate running time listed elsewhere).
Old 08-07-03, 09:50 AM

You're welcome

Dazza.
Old 08-13-03, 11:06 AM
BabyBuddha

Dazza --

Given that we'll probably not see another release in R1, would you mind describing the deleted scene? I'd be curious to know what Noe removed, and why.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-03, 04:13 PM

The deleted scene shows Alex in hospital, lying there in a coma, and the beeping noise of monitoring equipment can be heard.

It's a very brief scene... I hope this description kind of helps!

Dazza.
Old 08-13-03, 04:54 PM

I'm crossing my fingers for a Signature Series or something later down the line ... if not, I'll have to import it or something
Old 08-19-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Tartan (Region/encoded 0/ PAL)-uncut!!
Just confirming pro-bassoonist...is THIS the version you have..?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-03, 12:40 PM

Has anyone listened to the Director's Commentary? Is it worth the price of importing a copy or should I just buy the domestic?
Old 08-20-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rogue588....

That is the Korean release.....I have this one:
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000079037

Tigger
The commentary on the Korean disc DOES NOT HAVE english subs(as far as I know).....in my opinion you are better off either with the R1 or R2(Tartan-0) releases!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.