Community
Search

Heat dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heat dvd?

My aunt brought up the movie this afternoon. Said her son recommended it despite her not being into 'action' films. He has it on dvd..& she said she's interested in seeing it now after i praised the film as a great drama(which it really is).

I have'nt seen the film since 1995 though,but remember it being pretty amazing. I saw it two times. A P&S vhs,then a OAR vhs later on.

Now i get differing opinions on the sound quality for the dvd. Many say it's state of the art reference(then,maybe not now) quality loud surround sound. While quite a few say it has horrible very low tiny,compressed sound with no surround activity at all. So whats the story on this?

Was there a bad batch of discs or did some people just not have there sound systems set up correctly?

I'm interested in picking up the disc sometime,but not if it has crappy sound.

One thing i wonder though. What is up with Micheal Mann & his alterations to many of his films?

I don't think i've seen one 'directors cut' of his films that were any good(the theatricals were near perfection!). It seems more like he just loves to experimentwith re-editing & altering to see how they turn out. Since some of his editing choices are confusing at best & ruin the impact of some sequences.

So it's a surprise that Heat is still in it's original form,but for how long? I may have to pick it up for that reason alone.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 10-02-07 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rent it and decide for yourself, young lady!
Old 07-27-03, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The audio, to me, just sounds compressed(data-wise and dynamic-wise). It's definitely not bad for when the DVD was made, but pretty bad by today's standards.

It's still acceptable though, it's not offensive by any means, just not up to today's standards. Don't let that stop you from buying it.
Old 07-27-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this is one of those movies where the dialouge is very soft (it is not compressed, its called dynamic range), and when you hit the big gun fight, be prepaired to get blown away with sound. (there are a few other parts that are loud, but that is the main portion.
Old 07-27-03, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Robert
Rent it and decide for yourself, young lady!
Julie Walker is a guy.

Old 07-27-03, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Julie Walker is a guy.

Transsexual,so he was right in calling me a lady,unlike you
Old 07-27-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. You are still a guy and shouldn't be called Lady.

anyhow. about this film. Who really knows if a re-release is in the works. I would love one to be since I found the extra's lacking and would shell out the $$ for that alone. I haven't heard of any plans for it though..

I don't think i've seen one 'directors cut' of his films that were any good(the theatricals were near perfection!). It seems more like he just loves to experimentwith re-editing & altering to see how they turn out. Since some of his editing choices are confusing at best & ruin the impact of some sequences.
Should you call it as it is? Censorship? anyhow, I haven't heard of any word of this going OOP anytime soon so you are safe to hold off for a while till word of a new one is(if it is) released.
Old 07-28-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That one scene where Al Pacino and Robert Deniro meet at the restaurant was classic.
Old 07-28-03, 12:15 AM
Banned

There`s no reason not to pick this movie up as it usually sells for $7-9.99 most places! And it does not sound that bad, but Id sure be up for a Special Edition!!
Old 07-28-03, 03:43 AM

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and the sound was fine. The gunfight was firmly in the 'amazingly great' category and a couple of people there (who never notice sound quality) commented on how good it sounded.
Old 07-28-03, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Liquid Rush
There`s no reason not to pick this movie up as it usually sells for $7-9.99 most places! And it does not sound that bad, but Id sure be up for a Special Edition!!
I looked at Best Buy,Borders & Target..& they were all for $14.99 or more. I could have sworn they marked it down to $9 or less,unless that was just a sale?

I have'nt checked Wal-Mart,though have refused to shop there for a few months now.
Old 07-28-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too good of a movie to pass up on menial details..
Old 07-28-03, 09:20 AM

Heat is one of my personal favorite movies of all time. Saw it in the theater a few times, bought the VHS, the Laseerdisc, and now I have the DVD.

The audio transfer on the DVD is average, I think the audio on the LD is much more punchy. In the theater this movie was just plain loud. The video transfer on the DVD is average as well.

Many people have this theory that just because Heat has a huge gun fight in it that it is "demo material". The bank robbery gun fight really isn't that dynamic of a scene, most of the sound coming from the center and fronts. Personally I find that the best scenes in that movie from an audio standpoint are the armored car C-4 explosion followed by the windows shattering, and the scene near the airport with Al and Bobby D.

For 7-10 bucks, its a great movie, but don't expect amazing sound or video transfer. I'm hoping that this eventually gets some sort of special edition with some extra footage or commentary, but I'm not counting on it, since its not something Michael Mann does
Old 07-28-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Furio
For 7-10 bucks, its a great movie, but don't expect amazing sound or video transfer. I'm hoping that this eventually gets some sort of special edition with some extra footage or commentary, but I'm not counting on it, since its not something Michael Mann does
Well, there's now like 4 versions of Manhunter and he DID do a commentary.. so it's possible.
Old 07-28-03, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
this is one of those movies where the dialouge is very soft (it is not compressed, its called dynamic range), and when you hit the big gun fight, be prepaired to get blown away with sound. (there are a few other parts that are loud, but that is the main portion.
Actually, on my copy and my setup, it IS compressed. A few of my older DVDs have the "soft dialogue" syndrome(read: not detailed) which I guess is due to data compression.

As far as the dynamics being compressed, it happens in the action scenes for me. Sounds lose their liveliness and sound rather flat.

But that's just me
Old 07-28-03, 10:01 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
For the record, Heat is my favorite movie of the 90s.

The current disc is decent in the A/V department. I'd love to have this released as a full-blown SE with the addt'l footage that was left out.

From IMDB:

Television version aired by NBC on January 3rd, 1999 was disowned by director Michael Mann and credited to Alan Smithee because, though Mann offered to reinstate 17 minutes of deleted footage in the film to make it fit a four hour timeslot, NBC decided to excise over 40 minutes of footage from the theatrical release in order to make it fit a three hour slot (including commercials).
Old 07-28-03, 11:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. You are still a guy and shouldn't be called Lady.
OT....i know a lot of str8 guys who say the same thing about things up their butts. Amusing.

As for the DVD, I don't remember it being anything spectacular. I can say that the laserdisc was kick ass when I had it.
Old 07-28-03, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

OT: You obviouslly have a very narrow view of gender & sexuality. This mindset is also whats caused many TS's as well as homosexuals to suicide. + Whats with str8 guys preocupation with things up there butts?

Though thats a debate for a whole 'nother thread & has been discussed time & again. Yet only idiots have to keep pointing out 'No your not that,your this' in case of transsexuals. Well sorry bub,you don't know a thing about myself or ts's in general. So just give it a rest..mmkay?

Back on topic. I may just rent the dvd or try finding the laserdisc just in case. I remember The Exorcist SE dvd had pretty bad sound quality. Had no life to it at all,that i had to keep playing with the remote turning it up,then down since the sound level was either to low,or to loud at any given second. Now i really wish Warner would correct that & also include the original mono(i think) soundmix which should be far superior. I hated the alternate version & never plan on owning that,despite the soundmix being better encoded.
Old 07-28-03, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I looked at Best Buy,Borders & Target..& they were all for $14.99 or more. I could have sworn they marked it down to $9 or less,unless that was just a sale?

I have'nt checked Wal-Mart,though have refused to shop there for a few months now.
i got it from Borders a while back for 12.99
Old 07-29-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man i hope this movie is re-released, warner has been doing quite a few 2 disc re-releases. i'd love to have it in dts, plus commentary and branching with the 17 dleted minutes.
Old 07-29-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this is re-released, I do NOT want DTS since it's almost a 3 hour movie. The current audio track is fine anyway. It's the video that looks somewhat weak.