Community
Search

What's up with The Core?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's up with The Core?

I apologize if this has been posted but I found nothing after searching this forum for the movie The Core. It seems that this movie is getting little attention. I did a Columbia House search and did not see a release date although I know that it is due in Sept.

I guess I am wondering if this movie is that bad? The previews I saw seemed pretty awesome.
Old 07-24-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the movie came out the same day Gulf War 2 started... thats why it didnt do so well in the box office. I am gonna atleast rent it on dvd for sure. I wanted to see it in theaters, but with school/wars going on I just didnt get to go... the limited time it was on the big screen didnt help. At any rate, I thought it looked kinda neat too. In general, i like big "event" / fx pictures...

j
Old 07-24-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It'll be out on September 9, according to this thread.

Rob
Old 07-24-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What's up with The Core?

Originally posted by cajun_junky
I guess I am wondering if this movie is that bad? The previews I saw seemed pretty awesome.
No, it's an entertaining movie and by far my favourite of all the epic disaster movies that have come out in recent years. It's got all of the large scale action stuff (Not the best FX I've seen, but they're effective), but what really sets it apart are the characters and actors. Extremely interesting and funny group. Normally I don't give a crap about that stuff when it comes to action flicks, but they did a great job with the writing/acting and it truly elevates the movie. That doesn't mean it's trying to be a deeply moving experience like that pretentious POS Deep Impact either. It's more like the crew from Armageddon if they were smart and cool, instead of a bunch of annoying idiots you wouldn't trust with a potato gun.

It's one of those rare movies where I left the theater promising myself to get the DVD simply because I liked the movie that much and not because it had a great demo scene.
Old 07-24-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as you leave your brain at the door and dont expect a serious disaster film then you should enjoy it. I liked it even though it was cheesy. I wish they would have destroyed more of SF though... kinda disappointed there since I would have loved to see my area destroyed
Old 07-24-03, 11:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i had three reactions watching this movie... sometimes laughing at it... sometimes shaking my head... sometimes both.
Old 07-24-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I saw it in the theater it became my new all time favorite bad movie. I will absolutely be getting the DVD.
Old 07-25-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's good in sort of a Mystery-Science-Theater 3000 sense.
Old 07-25-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I missed the theater run too. I wont get it blind, but i cant wait to rent it!
Old 07-25-03, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I purposefully waited for the DVD release, since even giving $6 of mine (matinee price) would have annoyed me.
Old 07-25-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ipkevin and movielib pretty much sum it up for me.
Old 07-26-03, 11:48 PM
Banned

I dont understand why a lot of you bash Armageddeon. Its one of my all-time favorite movies with many great one-liners! Steve Besuemi(did I spell that right?) is at his best in this movie. Its a great action/adventure movie. Sure its a little cornballish, but its very entertaining. Besides, Liv Tyler is in it and I never get tired of looking at her!!! I watch it once or twice a year and do not get tired of it! Im hoping the Core is similarly entertaining and cant wait to pick it up. I will buy it blind as Ive never seen it in the theater but the previews looked great!
Old 07-27-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The CORE has a different feeling to it. ARMAGEDDEON was almost a comedy. The CORE isn't funny but it does have some interesting moments and ideas. It's worth $10 but so is ARMAGEDDEON. DEEP IMPACT was better written.
Old 07-27-03, 01:07 PM

I'm with Liquid Rush. ARMAGEDDEON is a blast. My son and I never get tired of watching it. Deep Impact was great also, but for me it's not a Popcorn eating, coke drinking, maltball popping type of movie. BTW, sounds like The Core is a must buy for me.
Old 07-27-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree, I thought Armageddon was a great movie. I think lots of people that stick their pinky out while they drink tea and watch art FILMs are the types that bash it. The flick was well made, lots of fun and highly entertaining. Its not for snooty old people who cant watch a movie without over analyzing every single scene... its for normal people who actually watch movies for entertainment.

I liked deep impact, but thought it would have been a better movie if they hadnt tried to Titanic it at the last minute with this weird love story between the two kids. I dunno if that was the plan from the begining or not.. but it definitely seemed like they saw how much $ titanic made and decided they needed more of a love story angle in there. Because of this, its hard for me to say that its "better writen" than armageddon.

the core looks good, I like the cast and the premise... Im definitely gonna atleast rent it...

j
Old 07-27-03, 06:15 PM

I like end of the world type movie.

To me, Deep Impact was more well written. Had an intriguing idea. What if only x number of people can survive via a "Noah ark" type of scenario. What would you do?

Armageddon was fun too. Good popcorn movie.

Saw The Core at the theaters and enjoyed it. I want more destruction of places on earth though.

So if you combine Deep Impact, Armageddon and The Core's destruction scenes, that would be totally cool!
Old 07-27-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
I think lots of people that stick their pinky out while they drink tea and watch art FILMs are the types that bash it. The flick was well made, lots of fun and highly entertaining. Its not for snooty old people who cant watch a movie without over analyzing every single scene... its for normal people who actually watch movies for entertainment.
Well, since I'm the only one here who bashed Armageddon, I guess I should respond. Did you read my message? Does it sound like I enjoy the Core because it's high art and it went well with my Earl Grey? Most of the bashing I've heard about this movie is far from 'over-analyzing' the film. They are usually aware of the kind of film it's supposed to be. They obviously don't expect it to be Citizen Kane. Most of the criticisms are very simple: Stupid cliched plot, annoying characters, eye-rolling overblown romance, action scenes that can't be followed, etc. These aren't deep criticisms contemplating Armageddon's place in the universe.

BTW, that was a brilliant defense of the movie. "There's nothing wrong with this movie, but there's a lot wrong with YOU!"
Old 07-27-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
Did you read my message?

no, nor was I responding/talking to you.

Most of the criticisms are very simple: Stupid cliched plot
whats stupid about it? Is it realistic? not at the moment, unless nasa has a vehicle i dont know about... but other than that what are the major concerns?

annoying characters
who in armegeddon was "annoying"? this seems to be a matter of personal opinion... i mean, some of my friends hand out with people I can't stand to be around... and yet they enjoy being around them. All opinion, and I dont see how it can be leveled again a movie.

eye-rolling overblown romance
i thought romance was a very small part of the film... in fact, it seems like a lot more of the people on the mission to the big rock would have had some sort of romantic interest other than ben afflecks guy. Most of them seem to be single... seems like there could have been a whooole lot more mushy romance poop thrown in there than there was. At any rate, I would like to hope that if I was headed off on a suicide mission to save the world that my gf would get a lil mushy (maybe even to an "eye-rolling" degree) as well.

action scenes that can't be followed, etc.
? which scenes are we talking about again, specifically? I dont remember any action scenes in Arm that "can't be followed"...

BTW, that was a brilliant defense of the movie. "There's nothing wrong with this movie, but there's a lot wrong with YOU!"
as noted previously, I never read your initial post, so my message had nothing to do with you. As far as "brilliant defenses" go, how about saying "plot sucks, action scenes suck" etc without even giving examples or supporting info?

j
Old 07-27-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are thousands of places you can go to find all the hate you would ever want about Armageddon, so I'm not going to turn this into a 50 part quote&reply debate with you. I'll just try to answer some of the more relevant bits...

Originally posted by jekbrown
who in armegeddon was "annoying"? this seems to be a matter of personal opinion... i mean, some of my friends hand out with people I can't stand to be around... and yet they enjoy being around them. All opinion, and I dont see how it can be leveled again a movie.

Isn't that what all film criticism is? A matter of opinion? Should we just stop giving opinions on movies then? It's interesting that you admit here that it's all just personal opinion, but before it had to be because they were also pretentious pinkie raisers who were somehow unable to properly understand the movie.

as noted previously, I never read your initial post, so my message had nothing to do with you. As far as "brilliant defenses" go, how about saying "plot sucks, action scenes suck" etc without even giving examples or supporting info?
Well it appears you didn't read my second post either despite replying to it and quoting it in a half dozen places. If you had, you'd have noticed that I was not critiquing Armageddon. I was specifically responding to your accusation that most people who hate the film are art snobs who overanalyze it. Therefore, I gave examples of frequent criticisms of the film which also happen to be simple and easy to understand. The kinds of statements any regular joe might apply to a film. That's all. At no point in that message did I try to debate the quality of the film with you, so it was really pointless for you to quote each statement about the film and ask for more details.

In other words, I was critiquing YOUR statements, not the film, and those were examples to support my point.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion of the film and I don't think anyone is going to bash you for it. I'm sorry if I came across harsh before, but when you start insulting everyone who doesn't agree with you and writing them off as snobs, you should expect a response. It's no less obnoxious than someone jumping into a thread and claiming that everyone who likes Armageddon must be a drooling moron with no attention span.

Last edited by ipkevin; 07-27-03 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 12:09 AM
Banned

WOW, I touched off a Firestorm! I just think its funny, that some of my favorite all time movies...Armageddeon,Deep Impact,Braveheart,Demolition Man,Con-Air,Gladiator,ID4,Matrix,The Patriot,Waterworld,The Postman,The Rock ect,,,, all seem to be the ones everyone on Forums bashes. I watch a movie to be entertained! I can usually tell when I will like a movie at the theaters because all the critics hate it! The ones they tend to rave about are usually the ones I stay away from. I dont sit and anyalyze the plot, and triple check to see if everything is accurate and all the i`s are dotted and t`s are crossed. I say who gives a rats ass! I want to walk out of that theater going....WOW..That was Awesome. I want to see great explosions, superb action scenes,Decent acting, great special effects ect. I just saw terminator 3 (The best Terminator so far) and bad Boys II in the last two weeks, and I gotta tell you....I was definately entertained! If you cant go to watch a movie or DVD and just sit back and let yourself be sucked in an enjoy it without getting your panties in a bunch because its not "accurate, or the plot is not perfect, ect, ect ect, you need to take up a new hobby. If I was only able to take 5 movies with me to a deserted island, Armageddeon would be one of those five because it is one of the most entertaining, and re-watchable movies Ive seen. Im hoping the Core will be equally entertaining and am looking forward to picking it up!! Now Please....Get off...of the Nuclear Weapon!!