Duel ... Cancelled again!?

Community
Search

Duel ... Cancelled again!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
I love it when people that wouldn't normally have ordered the movie, RUSH out and order from someone with a 96% positive rating (which = terrible for those new to ebay ) as soon as they hear it's canceled.

Yea, it sucks they send out an automated response saying it's shipped. You'll get your money back. Leave negative feedback too if you want. I'm sure there will be some other newbie to come along and think 94% positive is good too.

The only people I feel bad for, is the people that actually wanted/ordered the movie WITHOUT knowing it was going to be cancelled, and who didn't receive it.
Old 08-14-03, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisedge
I love it when people that wouldn't normally have ordered the movie, RUSH out and order from someone with a 96% positive rating (which = terrible for those new to ebay ) as soon as they hear it's canceled.

Yea, it sucks they send out an automated response saying it's shipped. You'll get your money back. Leave negative feedback too if you want. I'm sure there will be some other newbie to come along and think 94% positive is good too.

The only people I feel bad for, is the people that actually wanted/ordered the movie WITHOUT knowing it was going to be cancelled, and who didn't receive it.
Well, so much for getting back on topic, but since you asked.

Just who are these 'people' that you speak of? I can only speak for myself, but I've wanted this film for a LONG time. I first saw the film on TV in the early '70s and have loved it ever since.

I also take issue with your eBay comments. I'm not new to eBay. I buy and sell. In case you didn't take the time to look, DVD Legacy has over 22,000 positive feedbacks and 871 negative. This is NOT 'terrible', expecially if you TAKE THE TIME to look thru the negs and see that many are flakey.

To my thinking, sending out a message telling your buyers that an item has shipped when it has NOT, more than 'sucks'. It's bad business practice.

As for the people you feel bad for, what are you saying? If we get news that something may be cancelled and try to get it because it's a film that we love, we're not worthy of your sympathy? I don't understand your logic.

Lastly, I'm wondering about your motivation for this message. I mean, after reading the messages here, what's the point of leaving another message that will muddy the waters again? A message whose only point seems to, as others have done, chastise those desperate people who want to own this film on DVD and basically got screwed, once again, by Universal.
Old 08-16-03, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People sure are stupid ! I just checked on ebay out of curousity about the Duel DVD and prices are going over $50 and up. As much as I want this movie I will wait and if I had gotten a copy I would have sold it to some fool at that price. I read that Speilberg just wants to make sure Duel is perfect and up to standards. So when it comes out for sure it will either be the exact same or better than what the fools on Ebay are buying.
Old 08-16-03, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
People sure are stupid ! I just checked on ebay out of curousity about the Duel DVD and prices are going over $50 and up. As much as I want this movie I will wait and if I had gotten a copy I would have sold it to some fool at that price. I read that Speilberg just wants to make sure Duel is perfect and up to standards. So when it comes out for sure it will either be the exact same or better than what the fools on Ebay are buying.
I was interested in your source for what Spielberg said? Also, any word on when the release will be?

As for eBay, fuggetabout it. The last group of DVD auctions I was watching, every one went for over $100. Now I'm seeing BINs of $100 and $125. Madness!
Old 08-16-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MooseBoy4
I was interested in your source for what Spielberg said? Also, any word on when the release will be?

As for eBay, fuggetabout it. The last group of DVD auctions I was watching, every one went for over $100. Now I'm seeing BINs of $100 and $125. Madness!

Damn....I sold my copy at a bargain price of $75.00.
Old 08-16-03, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by djones6746
Damn....I sold my copy at a bargain price of $75.00.
And I hope you sent Universal a BIG thank you note.
Old 08-16-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So has there been any official word why it was pulled? I don't understand how it was pressed, shipped, and put on some shelves then they decided not to release it? THanks
Old 08-16-03, 06:56 PM

This is a quote off DVDfile.com :

According to sources at Universal, this second delay is due to issues surround Spielberg's approval of the set and the transfer, and in any case, the title is not cancelled, just postponed...again. Watch this space for more.
Old 08-16-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe he wanted the widescreen version instead (hugs my full screen oar version of hte movie)
Old 08-17-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
maybe he wanted the widescreen version instead (hugs my full screen oar version of hte movie)
I highly doubt that. I still think you would be better off selling it to those idiots now who are paying hundreds for that disc.
Old 08-18-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDLegacy finally issued a refund to my credit card today. Hopefully everyone else that is waiting will see a refund very soon. Now I wonder if Universal will ever make an official announcement why Duel was delayed and when we can expect it to be released.
Old 08-18-03, 07:58 PM

I think my refund came today also.
Old 08-18-03, 09:24 PM

I have yet to receive either a cancellation notice or a refund...
Old 08-19-03, 06:36 PM
Banned

My refund from DVD Legacy showed up on my account today. I called them this morning and I guess that lit a fire under their ass. Or maybe it was going on already. I don't know.

Now, what's the latest news on the release?
Old 08-19-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MooseBoy4

Now, what's the latest news on the release?
Spielberg didn't like the transfer, for what ever reason (I suspect next time around it will be widescreen only), so it got delyed
Old 08-20-03, 08:20 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2289

Is this DVDLegacy under another name? If so, why are they selling them again?? Stay away..

Wow it just might be them, this one ended and another one went up. Be very careful, many of us were screwed the first time around.

Last edited by eddiekirk; 08-20-03 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-20-03, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eddiekirk
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2289

Is this DVDLegacy under another name? If so, why are they selling them again?? Stay away..

Wow it just might be them, this one ended and another one went up. Be very careful, many of us were screwed the first time around.
What is your proof that this is DVD Legacy? Looking around, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Something weird is going on though. Duel for a BIN of $14.48? That dog don't hunt.

As for the DVD release, it may be that the new discs, when it's finally released, will include both the original TV version and the theatrical version (overseas version). Or, someone mentioned that they caught Spielberg's head in the rearview mirror a few times - maybe they're removing that for the 'real' release.

I don't know. Life's too short to mess with it right now. If it comes out, fine. If it never does, so be it. BTW, I don't know if it means anything, but the prices and BINs on eBay are dropping.
Old 09-03-03, 04:33 PM
Mok

Here is a e-mail I got today about Duel from dvdempire.

We have just been informed by our distributors
that the title 'Duel: Collector's Edition' is no
longer available.

It has been removed from your order. The remainder
of your order will be processed normally. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited by Mok; 09-03-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mok
Here is a e-mail I got today about Duel from dvdempire.

We have just been informed by our distributors
that the title 'Duel: Collector's Edition' is no
longer available.

It has been removed from your order. The remainder
of your order will be processed normally. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused.
What took them so long to figure that out? Hopefully that didn't tie up the rest of your order waiting for Duel.
Old 09-03-03, 07:03 PM

DUEL DVD REVIEW!!

Apparently we missed out on a good one:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/436/436301p1.html?fromint=1
Old 09-03-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

(Pulls out Colt 1911, points it at thread and pulls the trigger putting it out of its misery)