Duel ... Cancelled again!?

Community
Search

Duel ... Cancelled again!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I hate to say this but the guy is sporting 800+ negs and 700+ neutrals. With that kind of bad feedback, what the hell are you doing even CONSIDERING bidding on stuff from this guy. Thats just like willingly putting your nuts in a vice.

As always - buyer beware.
Old 08-12-03, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experience with DVDLegacy, either as a website, or as an eBay seller, but I have to agree with El-Kabong here. With feedback like that, WHEN EVERYONE HERE KNEW THAT THEY WERE ORDERING A WITHDRAWN ITEM, why is there so much anger?

If I thought I was going to try to obtain something which legitimately SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RELEASED ANYWAY, it would serve me right if a seller, WHO LISTED IT AS PRE-ORDER, couldn't come through.

I sympathize with those whose money is in flux - but only to a certain extent. I feel that you brought it upon yourselves by:

a) ordering a known withdrawn item - chancey at best
b) ordering from an eBay seller with questionable feedback
c) ordering from a seller who listed the item as a PRE-ORDER

Harry
Old 08-12-03, 05:41 PM

I shouldn't have bought from them. I usually avoid sellers like this and always look at feedback before bidding. It's my fault, I knew it was risky but did it anyway. My card still has the charge on it. I'll wait a few days and call the CC co.
Old 08-12-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by HGN2001
I have no experience with DVDLegacy, either as a website, or as an eBay seller, but I have to agree with El-Kabong here. With feedback like that, WHEN EVERYONE HERE KNEW THAT THEY WERE ORDERING A WITHDRAWN ITEM, why is there so much anger?
Why the Anger? I think that should be obvious by now. DVDLegacy said the DVDs were shipped, and later turns around and cancels all orders. Wouldn't that make you angry if anyone did that to you?

Yes it is true the item had been delayed suddenly. But there was a chance the seller could have received some copies since some were released to a few distributors to sell. And no one knew at the time if they were one of the few that had them. But I think the shipping notices gave the illusion they had copies available. And they kept listing more to sell.

If I thought I was going to try to obtain something which legitimately SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN RELEASED ANYWAY, it would serve me right if a seller, WHO LISTED IT AS PRE-ORDER, couldn't come through.

I agree and wouldn't have a problem if it was cancelled because the item couldn't be obtained. I did have an order at Amazon cancelled and that didn't bother me. However, they didn't claim it shipped or charged my credit card.

I sympathize with those whose money is in flux - but only to a certain extent. I feel that you brought it upon yourselves by:

I probably did take a chance that I normally wouldn't have at the time. Unfortunately this was a situation Universal helped to create by suddenly pulling the title without an explanation. And I took the gamble and it didn't pay off this time.

Also I shouldn't have any trouble getting my money back since I used a credit card. If it's not refunded the charges will be disputed. I think my credit card company would side with me when they see the emails DVDLegacy sent. And the way I look at it, DVDLegacy brought this on themselves by handling this situation so poorly.

Even with the high negative feedback they still have a lot more positives since they are a high volume seller. I thought with the numbers the odds might work out more in my favor. I'm not rying to defend the seller, but I did read some of the negatives and thought some of them were questionable complaints.
Old 08-12-03, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Why the Anger? I think that should be obvious by now. DVDLegacy said the DVDs were shipped, and later turns around and cancels all orders. Wouldn't that make you angry if anyone did that to you?
Allow me to quickly point out that I think that you do have a right to be angry at getting screwed. However, since the whole deal was suspect from the get-go, getting screwed was only to be expected.
Old 08-12-03, 07:19 PM

Fair enough. Yes, I suppose I too would be upset, but tempered with the realization that it was, in fact, I who put myself in the situation. My surprise here is at the somewhat juvenile talk of retaliating against the seller with deleted, etc. I find that rather distasteful and no better behavior than what the seller is being accused of.

I agree and wouldn't have a problem if it was cancelled because the item couldn't be obtained. I did have an order at Amazon cancelled and that didn't bother me. However, they didn't claim it shipped or charged my credit card.
My suspicion is that the seller has a bunch of automated responses to his ads. "When the money comes in, indicate that the item is shipping." He was probably just as surprised as we were when the thing was pulled. Heck, he might have even been on vacation! It is August.

I probably did take a chance that I normally wouldn't have at the time. Unfortunately this was a situation Universal helped to create by suddenly pulling the title without an explanation. And I took the gamble and it didn't pay off this time.
Sometimes, in the heat of excitement, we all do things that we regret later. Those posts that amzon had the disc and was shipping certainly got my heart racing. Then when I placed the order, I figured that I was too late, but it was a crap-shoot at that point. If I got it fine, if not, I'm sure amazon would refund the money to the credit card, or just not charge it at all. Luckily, I was one of the ones who DID get a copy, so my gamble paid off.

Harry
Old 08-13-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My surprise here is at the somewhat juvenile talk of retaliating against the seller with deleted, etc. I find that rather distasteful and no better behavior than what the seller is being accused of.
I not saying you are accusing me of such tactics. But I never initiated or endorsed any such behavior against the seller. And I agree it would be wrong to do so. My only concern is to get this behind me and move on.

My suspicion is that the seller has a bunch of automated responses to his ads. "When the money comes in, indicate that the item is shipping." He was probably just as surprised as we were when the thing was pulled. Heck, he might have even been on vacation! It is August.

I don't think the seller was on vacation since they responded to a question I asked about if the DVD was in stock. Unfortunately I received a shipping confirmation email before they answered my question that the DVD was not available a few days later. And they never offered any explanation or apology for the shipping notice when I later questioned them about that. If this is how their system works they better consider changing it.

Sometimes, in the heat of excitement, we all do things that we regret later. Those posts that amzon had the disc and was shipping certainly got my heart racing. Then when I placed the order, I figured that I was too late, but it was a crap-shoot at that point. If I got it fine, if not, I'm sure amazon would refund the money to the credit card, or just not charge it at all. Luckily, I was one of the ones who DID get a copy, so my gamble paid off.

That's what makes it fun on this forum when chasing down a bargain or a hard to find title. Sometimes it works out great and other times it doesn't. Fortunately I did manage to get a copy of Duel from Amazon on a second order. But I had to pay for shipping to get that one to go through. My first order with free shipping was cancelled, but for some reason Amazon still gave me a STL credit for someone else that purchased it. So I was hoping to get one copy but unfortunately hit a snag trying to get it from Ebay. But eventually it should work out one way or the other.
Old 08-13-03, 01:53 AM
Banned

Harry
A) At the time, Amazon WAS shipping the DVD.
B) The seller has a feedback rating of 96.1% positive feedback.
C) Pre-order or not, when I get an email telling me that my item has shipped, when it really hasn't, then something screwy is going on.

If you're going to get all high and mighty, at LEAST get your facts straight.

Of course, what do you care? You got a copy. It takes a lot of balls to ponce in here with your holier-then-thou attitude when you got lucky and most of us got screwed.

Why don't you take your attitude, and get out of here. Just keep walking, right across the water.
Old 08-13-03, 01:58 AM
Banned

Fair enough. Yes, I suppose I too would be upset, but tempered with the realization that it was, in fact, I who put myself in the situation. My surprise here is at the somewhat juvenile talk of retaliating against the seller with fraud bids, etc. I find that rather distasteful and no better behavior than what the seller is being accused of.

Harry
Oh, people! We've been duped. This obviously IS DVD LEGACY. Coming on here and giving us these weak excuses as the only explanation.
Old 08-13-03, 02:31 AM
Suspended

First, might I suggest that you relax - no need to get angry around here.

Originally posted by MooseBoy4
It still doesnt change the fact that the seller screwed up 4 percent of his orders and had nearly 2 thousand bad or otherwise less than happy customers. The guy was clearly a risk, you decided to gamble on a less than sure horse, and you lost.

I'm not defending the guy, just pointing out that you did walk into a bad situation with open arms.
Old 08-13-03, 05:52 AM

A) At the time, Amazon WAS shipping the DVD.
Then why not order from amazon, a known, reputable dealer?

That equates to a 3.9% non-positive feedback. I'm leary of anyone that's not REALLY close to 100%

C) Pre-order or not, when I get an email telling me that my item has shipped, when it really hasn't, then something screwy is going on.
'Pre' - meaning before, as in 'order BEFORE release', as in the seller doesn't HAVE it yet. Granted, the 'shipping' indication seems to be the offender here. My suggestion about that was that perhaps the guy has some kind of automated reply/status indicator setup so he doesn't have to answer emails - it's just a suggestion. I don't really know - I was simply trying to temper the viewpoints here.

If you're going to get all high and mighty, at LEAST get your facts straight.
Actually, I do have an old VHS copy from TV of "The High And The Mighty".

Of course, what do you care? You got a copy. It takes a lot of balls to ponce in here with your holier-then-thou attitude when you got lucky and most of us got screwed.
Correction: that's "pounce" and "holier-THAN-thou".

Why don't you take your attitude, and get out of here. Just keep walking, right across the water.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Most appreciated.

Actually, there is something that could be done. Their business on eBay could be disrupted, but it would involve creating bogus eBay accounts and a lot of other trouble, and frankly, I don't have the strength right now.
Exactly the post I was referring to. It speaks volumes.

Originally posted by MooseBoy4 Oh, people! We've been duped. This obviously IS DVD LEGACY. Coming on here and giving us these weak excuses as the only explanation.
If you think I'm DVDLegacy or in any way affiliated with them, you're sadly mistaken. As I've stated, I've never had any dealings with them, and until this thread, never heard of them. But in observing the rants in this thread, I decided to play a bit of devil's advocate. Considering all of their negative feedback, they are probably best avoided. My intent was not to defend them, but rather to question the bitter reactions here, as I really think that part of the blame has to lie with those who willingly sent this guy money.

If my post came off a bit harsh, well, that sometimes happens with written words on an Internet message board, and for that I apologize. My intent was not to gloat, but to try to temper what I considered poor judgement. I would never advocate illegal retaliation.

I also feel that if my post offended, that it would be best handled in a private message, rather than out on a public message board.

Harry
Old 08-13-03, 07:26 AM
Banned

Then why not order from amazon, a known, reputable dealer?
Had you read this thread, you would know that I did, but it was too late.

Correction: that's "pounce"
No, I used the right word - Ponce - British : PIMP; also usually disparaging : a male homosexual.

I also feel that if my post offended, that it would be best handled in a private message, rather than out on a public message board.
Considering that you have your email function turned off, that would be a nifty trick. Try again, smart boy.

If you think I'm DVDLegacy or in any way affiliated with them, you're sadly mistaken. As I've stated, I've never had any dealings with them, and until this thread, never heard of them. But in observing the rants in this thread, I decided to play a bit of devil's advocate. Considering all of their negative feedback, they are probably best avoided. My intent was not to defend them, but rather to question the bitter reactions here, as I really think that part of the blame has to lie with those who willingly sent this guy money.

If my post came off a bit harsh, well, that sometimes happens with written words on an Internet message board, and for that I apologize. My intent was not to gloat, but to try to temper what I considered poor judgement. I would never advocate illegal retaliation.
It's real easy to 'play devil's advocate' when you're not a part of the situation. In this situation, as someone who got lucky and got the DVD, your comments come off as those of an arrogant smartass. It's akin to a rich guy stepping out of his limo in a ghetto and proceeding to lecture the 'less fortunate' about how they should run their lives. It wouldn't be too appreciated, especially if they weren't even correct in what they are stating, as in your case.

As to what you would, or wouldn't advocate, a lot of that depends on where you're standing. If you don't know that, then I would suggest you haven't lived much.

Now as far as I'm concerned, you can take your arrogant comments and choke on them. Or go ahead and leave another long, meaningless message. I could give a shiz-nit. I'm done with you.
Old 08-13-03, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
First, might I suggest that you relax - no need to get angry around here.
And there's no need to come in here and leave arrogant messages to those people who weren't as lucky as you and your buddy either.
Old 08-13-03, 08:32 AM

Had you read this thread, you would know that I did, but it was too late.
It's still no excuse for later ordering something from a shady vendor. Buyer beware!

No, I used the right word - Ponce - British : PIMP; also usually disparaging : a male homosexual.
My apologies. You seem to have more knowledge in that area than me.

Considering that you have your email function turned off, that would be a nifty trick. Try again, smart boy.
If you read MY post correctly, you'd see that I referred to "Private Messaging" - not email. Yes, I have kept my email private, but "private messaging" has always been turned on.

It's real easy to 'play devil's advocate' when you're not a part of the situation. In this situation, as someone who got lucky and got the DVD, your comments come off as those of an arrogant smartass.
I do believe I apologized for that. Obviously I didn't grovel enough for you. Don't hold your breath.

As to what you would, or wouldn't advocate, a lot of that depends on where you're standing. If you don't know that, then I would suggest you haven't lived much.
So my thoughts are not welcome on this Forum, only yours?

Now as far as I'm concerned, you can take your arrogant comments and choke on them. Or go ahead and leave another long, meaningless message. I could give a shiz-nit. I'm done with you.
Would that it were true.

Harry
Old 08-13-03, 09:23 AM
Suspended

And there's no need to come in here and leave arrogant messages to those people who weren't as lucky as you and your buddy either.
Arrogant? Please. Dude - look into some anger managment classes. You're flying off the handle at the wrong people for idle chit-chat. It was just an observation, so take a chill pill.
Old 08-13-03, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Arrogant? Please. Dude - look into some anger managment classes. You're flying off the handle at the wrong people for idle chit-chat. It was just an observation, so take a chill pill.
Hmm. So if I were to make an observation like, "man, black folks sure do commit a lot of crimes", or "I wish those gay guys would stop spreading AIDS", I guess that would just be 'idle chit-chat'?

Hey, you know, those folks that got on those airplanes on 9/11 should have known better. Didn't they know that air travel is NOT 100% safe? Hey, take a chill pill. Just idle chit-chat.

The fact is, it's one thing to come in here and share your good fortune. It is quite another thing to ARROGANTLY chastise others for trying to obtain the DVD from an eBay seller, who, BTW, has a 96% positive feedback rating with thousands of positives. If you can't see how dicky that looks, then I'm wasting my time.

Here's an idea. For your next project, why don't you go hang out at your local emergency room and chastise the victims of car crashes as they come in? Hey, don't they KNOW that driving isn't 100% safe?
Old 08-13-03, 09:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ugh. Okay, let's all calm down and get back on topic.
Old 08-13-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my refund from DVDLegacy through PAYPAL. I'm annoyed that they lied about shipping but they handled the refund fairly quickly. I only ordered because others were getting shipping notices. I figured they actually had some and didn't know they were recalled...Kinda like with Amazon.

They still owe me on my credit card for a second copy but that usually takes a day or two after the transaction to show up.
Old 08-13-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
Ugh. Okay, let's all calm down and get back on topic.
Agreed.

I was hoping to come in and find some info on if Duel will ever make it to a new release and all I get is a page of namecalling.
Old 08-13-03, 03:43 PM

According to a post on the Home Theater Forum, there's some kind of legal problem, and if it's not cleared by the end of the year, the current crop of DVDs in the warehouse will be destroyed. Alledgedly, its the same issue that caused the cancellation last year.

We'll see. I hope, for everyone's sake, that it gets released. It's too good a movie to not be out there.

Harry
Old 08-13-03, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by The Void
I just got my refund from DVDLegacy through PAYPAL.
Did they compensate you for the PayPal service fee??? (ie, did you get it all back or were you stiffed).
Old 08-13-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Londo
Did they compensate you for the PayPal service fee??? (ie, did you get it all back or were you stiffed).
PayPal allows sellers to click a "refund" button on each transaction (for up to 30 days after receiving payment) that sends everything back to the buyer -- shipping costs, fees, etc. Very handy for situations like this.

I assume that this is exactly what DVDLegacy is doing (at least, for PayPal transactions that happened within the past month).

I got my Half.com refund from them today. I'm disappointed, but I don't consider this to be such a big deal... honestly, the only thing that is troubling is the 'shipping' notices that were sent out when the item obviously hadn't shipped yet. Other than that, I bear them no ill will.

[And having 800 negatives is not such a huge deal when you consider that they have over 20,000 (!) positives. And some of those negatives are silly... one guy neg'd them today because he hadn't received B5: Season 3 yet. The auction clearly stated that it was a presell that would ship on 8/12. I'm sure that a good half of their negative comments are from similar situations -- when you deal in such volume, you're going to have buyers with itchy trigger fingers that are impossible to please.]
Old 08-14-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Londo
I did get the full amount back.
Old 08-14-03, 08:37 AM

Did any who paid w/CC thru their checkout system get a refund yet?
Old 08-14-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by eddiekirk
Did any who paid w/CC thru their checkout system get a refund yet?

I have not received any refund to my credit card. But I did find a toll free number for DVDLegacy located in the store forum. I called them today and they claimed that the credit cards were issued refunds yesterday, and it could take a couple of days for it to be posted to your account. If you have any questions I would suggest calling the following number.

DVDLegacy Customer Service: 1-888-451-3774

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.