What is up with 300 SPARTANS?!?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know what is going on with the DVD release of 300 SPARTANS? Supposedly, according to the computers of every retailer and rental store I've checked it was released on 6/22/03. However, nobody seems to have it or ever had it. Every online store has it listed as "unavailable", "out-of-stock" or "discontinued". The ones that still offer it on their webpages, such as North America DVD, have cancelled my orders because it is "no longer available".
Amazon has it listed in the "Used" section for $129.00 and eBay has some sellers offering it from $19.00 to $29.00.
I have contacted Fox Home Entertainment, which doesn't offer it in their own store by the way, but haven't received a reply as of yet.
Does anybody actually own this or know if it was actually released or discontinued. If it was discontinued, then for what reason? Was it a legal matter or a disc defect?
Any info is appreciated.
Old 07-22-03, 09:08 AM

Delayed due to "source problems", was the word given by a Fox bigwig on The Home Theater Forum.
Old 07-22-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigT
Delayed due to "source problems", was the word given by a Fox bigwig on The Home Theater Forum.
that sucks. I really want this dvd.
Old 07-23-03, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info BigT. I had a feeling it was delayed as none of the eBay sellers offered an actual picture of the DVD, just pics lifted from online ads.
I'm glad I didn't take the trip to Best Buy in Warwick. While at the Dartmouth, MA store the salesclerk looked 300 SPARTANS up and said that it came out 6/22/03, they didn't have any, they never got any in, and they are not getting any more ever. He then said that the Warwick store had FIVE of them.
Having been burned by less than valid information from them in the past I decided to call the Warwick store and they said they didn't have any in stock.
Hopefully, 300 SPARTANS will see the light of day sometime soon.
Old 07-23-03, 12:17 PM

Odd, I see it for sale at amazon.com?

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...55e58e/i-1.JPG

Last edited by billy9215; 07-23-03 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-24-03, 09:11 AM

Got this reply from Fox. I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the remake, as well as the original. Steer clear of the eBay/Amazon scammers who are selling this title at inflated prices.

Subj: RE: 300 Spartans DVD
Date: 7/23/2003 7:26:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hello,

The title in question has been pulled from the release schedule at this time. A remake in production, once the remake has been released, Fox will most likely release the original version at that time.

Thank you,
Megan R
Fox Consumer
888-223-2369
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 5:39 PM
To: FoxDrop
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: 300 Spartans DVD

Hi,
I was wondering what is going on with your DVD release of 300 Spartans? Supposedly, (according to many retailer computers) it was released on 6/22/03. However, it seems to have been discontinued as nobody seems to have it. I am a HUGE fan of this movie and would like to purchase it if it is available.
Was it in fact released at all? If so could you explain why it has been discontinued? Any assistance you can give in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jordon Lewis
Old 07-24-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Just wondering, but is the remake suppose to be based on Frank Miller's comics 300 ?
Old 07-24-03, 07:51 PM

That is what I am thinking (Hoping). It might be based on the book GATES OF FIRE by Steven Pressfield or Ernle Bradford's THERMOPYLAE: THE BATTLE FOR THE WEST.
Of course, I am having this feeling of dread that they might be referring to the two upcoming films on the TROJAN war (one being TROY starring Brad Pitt) currently in production. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Miller's 300 would look awesome on the big screen.