Next Walt Disney Treasures 12/2/2003

Old 07-13-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Per my original post Davis DVD stated that Disney was only releasing 3 tins this year, same number as last year.
I don't think Tomorrowland DVD is going to be released in 2003 at least not according to Davis DVD.
Old 07-13-03, 09:13 AM

I'm hoping that the war shorts will include Victory through airpower. I'm concerned because it wasn't really a short.. I think that it was much longer. Therefore, I hope that Disney hasn't decided to omit it. If it isn't included in this set, then it may never be released because people may find it too offensive due to the stereotypes of Asians (even though we were fighting Japan at the time, so it was to be expected).
Old 07-13-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by vanmunchen
The war shorts in this collection look as if they will be mainly those produced for the US armed forces, of which dozens were made. Although they feature animation, they do NOT star Donald Duck. However, the collection is likely to include a few commercial war shorts which do feature Donald Duck.
Looks that way. I'll have to see exactly what this set contains before I decide. Training shorts on "The dangers of VD" and "Proper Foot Care" don't interest me much.
Old 07-13-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vanmunchen
The war shorts in this collection look as if they will be mainly those produced for the US armed forces, of which dozens were made. Although they feature animation, they do NOT star Donald Duck. However, the collection is likely to include a few commercial war shorts which do feature Donald Duck.
I guess it's all speculation at this point, but I was going by a quote on HTF from IGN animation critic Ernest Rister on what to expect. He listed these as distinct possibilities:

1. Donald Gets Drafted
2. The Army Mascot (Pluto)
3. The Vanishing Private (Donald)
4. Sky Trooper (Donald)
5. Der Fuehrer's Face (Donald)
6. Education for Death (Propaganda)
7. Private Pluto
8. Fall Out, Fall In (Donald)
9. Victory Vehicles (Goofy)
10. The Old Army Game (Donald)
11. Home Defense (Donald)
12. Commando Duck
13. First Aiders (Pluto)

I guess if there are 32 that leaves a lot of room for others, I just assumed they would be of the same vein. If you are correct however, my interest in this just dropped quite a bit.
Old 07-13-03, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by RichardW
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume Two - Celebrating Mickey Mouse's career in film, this volume covers Mickey's films from 1939 to 1995 including some of his most loved performances in "Society Dog Show", "Tugboat Mickey", "Mickey and the Seal", "Pluto's Party" and many more (21 shorts).
21 shorts? There's space for a lot more, and there are a lot more to include. I hope that's a mistake. (I'm getting it either way though...)
Old 07-13-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How does anyone know what will be on the War Time Tin? Its just guesses.

Besides, can this even be counted as official? I thought it was Leonard Maltin who did the announcements and gave all the specs and everything.
Old 07-13-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous
How does anyone know what will be on the War Time Tin? Its just guesses.

Besides, can this even be counted as official? I thought it was Leonard Maltin who did the announcements and gave all the specs and everything.
"I guess it's all speculation at this point..."

"He listed these as distinct possibilities"
Old 07-13-03, 10:40 PM

I'm in... now to buy another rack...
Old 07-14-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh oh!

I think I just soiled myself...

Great.

December 2nd, December 2nd... Let's see - how many days is that?
Old 07-14-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll get Mickey and Donald. Not sure about the War ones. It doesn't sound that appealing to me, but last year I wasn't planning on getting "Behind the Scenes" and the reviews talked me into it. I guess we'll see...
Old 07-14-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Per my original post Davis DVD stated that Disney was only releasing 3 tins this year, same number as last year. I don't think Tomorrowland DVD is going to be released in 2003 at least not according to Davis DVD.
Patrick from DavisDVD has since edited the news (I don't know if on the website, but on HTF), and UltimateDisney has this scan:

As far as the wartime set being unappealing, this is the set of the year for me, and I'm excited about Mickey Vol. 2 and the first volume of Donald. "Education for Death" should alone be worth it. And if VTAP is on it as it should, this will be an unbelievable set (and will make the most money on eBay once it's OOP).

Last edited by jmj713; 07-14-03 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-14-03, 11:11 AM

Can I assume that Mickey Mouse in Living Color 2 (the new set being released in December) is NOT A REPRINT, RERELEASE, or REPACKAGING of ANY of the Mickey Mouse in Living Color 1 shorts, cartoons or the whole set?

I have the hard to find (and great!!) first set, but just wanted to clarify. I know the first set is worth a solid amount on Ebay and other places. Anybody have any solid info? Thanks.
Old 07-14-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's called "Volume 2". Plus look at the titles given in that scan.
Old 07-14-03, 12:44 PM

I guess it's all speculation at this point, but I was going by a quote on HTF from IGN animation critic Ernest Rister on what to expect. He listed these as distinct possibilities...

Now we have the scan that says these shorts won't be the case. I assumed they would be covered in the individual character collections anyway, but "training, propaganda, and educational films" sound interesting...and it does say films not shorts, so I would also go on to assume Victory Through Airpower would be the main attraction on this set.
Old 07-14-03, 01:57 PM

These look promising as usual. I will be picking up all four.

Hopefully the Donald WW2 shorts are on the Disney War set rather than put on the next Donald set.
Old 07-14-03, 02:12 PM

It may be a longshot, but I hope that the wartime shorts will sell extremely well, especially with an older audience who will appreciate these historical documents from the war era. Then, hopefully, it will send a message to Disney... release Song Of the South on dvd as a dvd treasures title and market it towards a mature/film history appreciation audience, where it will also sell extremely well. They could even make it limited, like the Disney treasures, and thus it would be quickly purchased primarily for those who appreciate film history, not necessarily the average joe who shops at Walmart.
Old 07-14-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's a shame WB isn't showing Looney Tunes the same respect that Disney's been showing Mickey and the gang with the Disney Treasures line...
Old 07-14-03, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Mikey
Then, hopefully, it will send a message to Disney... release Song Of the South on dvd as a dvd treasures title and market it towards a mature/film history appreciation audience, where it will also sell extremely well. They could even make it limited, like the Disney treasures, and thus it would be quickly purchased primarily for those who appreciate film history, not necessarily the average joe who shops at Walmart.
They should do the same with the uncut version of Fantasia.
Old 07-14-03, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Mikey
Then, hopefully, it will send a message to Disney... release Song Of the South on dvd as a dvd treasures title and market it towards a mature/film history appreciation audience, where it will also sell extremely well. They could even make it limited, like the Disney treasures, and thus it would be quickly purchased primarily for those who appreciate film history, not necessarily the average joe who shops at Walmart.
Originally posted by Philip Reuben
They should do the same with the uncut version of Fantasia.
I agree on both counts.

Personally, I can't wait for the Donald Duck set, cause Donald Duck rules. The war set looks interesting as well, I just might have to check that out.
Old 07-14-03, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
It's a shame WB isn't showing Looney Tunes the same respect that Disney's been showing Mickey and the gang with the Disney Treasures line...
I dunno, the specs for the upcoming 4 disc Looney Tunes set seems promising and may give them a run for their money.

Hopefully the two can push each other to the limit, for our benefit (doubtful though).
Old 07-20-03, 09:04 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Philip Reuben
They should do the same with the uncut version of Fantasia. [QUOTE]

gotta disagree there. I'm all for SOTS, and I give props to Disney for once having some balls and not giving in to the PC crowd....yet the stills I've seen on deleted portions of Fatasia are better left gone forever.
Old 07-20-03, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
21 shorts? There's space for a lot more, and there are a lot more to include. I hope that's a mistake. (I'm getting it either way though...)
From what it says, I guess that the Mickey Mouse Box set will cover the period from 1939 (starting with Society dog show) up until the final Mickey cartoon Runaway Brain which was released in 1994.

Including both Mickey's Christmas Caro from 1983 (running time : 25 minutes) and the Prince and the Pauper from 1990 (running time : 24 minutes) , that should do the count : 21 short films all in all.

There will be no more color Mickey Mouse cartoons to be released after that but a whole lot more of those nice black and white ones. After a while, the animators began to let go of the mouse who was boring to concentrate on funnier characters like Pluto, Donald and Goofy. They completely halted the production of theatrical Mickey cartoon for a long while after the 1953 short The simple things and by this time, Pluto had already stolen the show from his master even in the Mickey cartoons.

B.T.W. I did a little math. Since most regular cartoons are running at around 7 minutes (one reel of film), you can see this set as 182 minutes of Mickey Mouse cartoons or as the equivallent of 26 cartoons. Meanwhile, you'll be offered a 36 Donald Duck cartoons set at the same time (it would give you around 252 minutes of Donald cartoons). So I guess you could say you will be robbed of 10 non-existing cartoons or 70 minutes of Mickey Mouse that never existed. But then, if you look at the Goofy set from last year, you'll notice it has 46 cartoons on it. So with its mere equivallent of 26 cartoons, the Mickey set robs you from 20 fictitious cartoons.

But seriously, here is what should logically be the content of this set :

1- Society dog show
2- The Pointer

3- Tugboat Mickey
4- Pluto's dream house
5- Mr. Mouse takes a trip

6- The little whirlwind
7- The nifty Nineties
8- Orphan's benefit

9- Mickey's birthday party
10- Symphony hour

11- Mickey's delayed date

12- Mickey down under
13- Mickey and the seal

14- Plutopia
15- R'coon dawg

16- Pluto's party
17- Pluto's Christmas tree

18- The simple things

19- Mickey's Christmas Carol

20- The Prince and the Pauper

21- Runaway Brain
----------------------------------------

I also did a little more maths about the other cartoon series.

My guess is that we should see a Complete Pluto set in the upcoming years (there are 48 Pluto cartoons including some war-time stuff).

There is still enough of those Silly Symphonies to make a full box set of them (around 30 more).

And there should probably be 3 more Chronological Donald sets to cover the entire series (around 90 Donald cartoons will be left after this first set.)

But I don't know what they'll do with the 3 cartoons featuring Chip and Dale. They could probably include them on a set featuring some of those Disney special cartoons like Morris the Midget moose, Pigs is pigs, Hooked bear, Goliath II and It's tough to be a bird

Last edited by nice_skis; 07-20-03 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-21-03, 12:09 AM

hooray the discs street on my birthday! Now y'all know what you can get for me as a present(s).
Old 07-21-03, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by nice_skis
From what it says, I guess that the Mickey Mouse Box set will cover the period from 1939 (starting with Society dog show) up until the final Mickey cartoon Runaway Brain which was released in 1994.

Including both Mickey's Christmas Caro from 1983 (running time : 25 minutes) and the Prince and the Pauper from 1990 (running time : 24 minutes) , that should do the count : 21 short films all in all.
Ah, okay then. I was going by the list here, but I didn't realise that some of them were commercials or Chip and Dale shorts. Just never occured to me I guess. Thanks!

So I guess you could say you will be robbed of 10 non-existing cartoons or 70 minutes of Mickey Mouse that never existed. But then, if you look at the Goofy set from last year, you'll notice it has 46 cartoons on it. So with its mere equivallent of 26 cartoons, the Mickey set robs you from 20 fictitious cartoons.
Is it okay if I feel robbed of the Prince and the Pauper and Mickey's Christmas Carol? :P They could easily have included both of them on this set.

I also did a little more maths about the other cartoon series.

My guess is that we should see a Complete Pluto set in the upcoming years (there are 48 Pluto cartoons including some war-time stuff).
Hmm... I'll feel compelled to buy this, but I'm reluctant given that the Mickey shorts that are really Pluto shorts on Mickey Mouse in Living Color haven't impressed me all that much.

There is still enough of those Silly Symphonies to make a full box set of them (around 30 more).
Now this I want. I loved the first Silly Symphonies set.
Old 07-21-03, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Scot1458 gotta disagree there. I'm all for SOTS, and I give props to Disney for once having some balls and not giving in to the PC crowd....yet the stills I've seen on deleted portions of Fatasia are better left gone forever.
Why? The uncut version of Fantasia has racial stereotypes that wouldn't be acceptable now, but in the context of the society at the time it would have been perfectly normal - in fact, I'm not sure they could even be called stereotypes. I don't see why we should bury these few seconds of footage forever. Besides, the editing in the existing version is done quite poorly.

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 07-21-03 at 01:42 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.