Reload this Page >

Next Walt Disney Treasures 12/2/2003

Community
Search

Next Walt Disney Treasures 12/2/2003

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 09:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait for all of these, especially Tomorrowland. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I enjoy these 'Disneyland' tv compilations as much as I do the animated short collections.
Old 07-21-03, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Philip Reuben
Why? The uncut version of Fantasia has racial stereotypes that wouldn't be acceptable now, but in the context of the society at the time it would have been perfectly normal - in fact, I'm not sure they could even be called stereotypes. I don't see why we should bury these few seconds of footage forever. Besides, the editing in the existing version is done quite poorly.
I agree with you. But a case can be made for SOTS, with Uncle Remus and all. The Fantasia stuff will kill IMO any future "Un-PC" in the future.

baby steps, baby steps....
Old 07-21-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scot1458
yet the stills I've seen on deleted portions of Fatasia are better left gone forever.
In one part of Fantasia it originally had baby black centaurs AND baby white centaurs carrying a Greek God! In the DVD they took out all the baby black centaurs and kept in the baby White ones. This type of censorship is more disgusting and appalling then if they left the DVD intact!!

But why settle for stills? We can all drool and salivate on these clips while dreaming of Fantasia uncensored

http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia1.mov
http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia2.mov
http://widescreen.org/multimedia/fantasia3.mov
Old 07-21-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I better open up last year's Disney Treasures to prepare for this year's!
Old 07-21-03, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot1458
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Philip Reuben
They should do the same with the uncut version of Fantasia.

gotta disagree there. I'm all for SOTS, and I give props to Disney for once having some balls and not giving in to the PC crowd....yet the stills I've seen on deleted portions of Fatasia are better left gone forever.
By applying the same rule, they should probably ban D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a nation" don't you think?

From the beginning, the movie industry has been fillef with stereotypes and most of them were bad. But this thing, this way of thinking existed at that time. Denying it today won't make it less true.

What these film need is a good historical explanation. I admit that showing them without putting a word of advice would be like approving of their content. But by putting them in their original historical context, they can help people understand what was wrong.

By the way, I particularly loved the fact that the Goofy and B/W Mickey sets from last years were not given a "play all" option. It makes it a necessity for an adult to watch these cartoons with their kids instead of throwing them in front of the tv like it's some kind of electronic baby-sitter. I sure hope they do it again this year.
Old 07-21-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by nice_skis
What these film need is a good historical explanation. I admit that showing them without putting a word of advice would be like approving of their content. But by putting them in their original historical context, they can help people understand what was wrong.

By the way, I particularly loved the fact that the Goofy and B/W Mickey sets from last years were not given a "play all" option. It makes it a necessity for an adult to watch these cartoons with their kids instead of throwing them in front of the tv like it's some kind of electronic baby-sitter. I sure hope they do it again this year.
re: the first part of your quote above...I agree. That's what I thought Leonard Maltin was there for...

re: the "Play All" option...I think you're in the minority. Don't assume that these sets are only for children [or adults WITH children]. It might be the ultimate form of laziness, but it does get a tad annoying to have to select each.single.cartoon. individually...

Also, I really don't think Classic Disney cartoons would make for a bad electronic baby-sitter...now, Pokeman on the other hand...
Old 07-21-03, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
the "Play All" option...I think you're in the minority. Don't assume that these sets are only for children [or adults WITH children]. It might be the ultimate form of laziness, but it does get a tad annoying to have to select each.single.cartoon. individually...

Also, I really don't think Classic Disney cartoons would make for a bad electronic baby-sitter...now, Pokeman on the other hand...
I don't think they are making these sets for families and kids at all. I own all of them, I am over 30 and still childless and I bought them for me as I am a cartoon aficionado.

Problem is that if they did put such an option as play all, it would be bought by careless parents who would then get offended when they would suddenly discover their poor little baby was watching some offending crude humor from the 40's while they were having lunch or doing whatever they do in the next room.

And then, these stupid people, would not be asking themselves what they could tell their poor kids to make up for this and make them understand that killing native-americans is not an acceptable behavior. No, these parents would rather complain to the media and show the 6 O'clock news how the Walt Disney corporation is a monstrous hatred-filled lair inhabited by nazis and klan members.

So I kind of appreciate the fact that these parents will be forced to stay in front of the tv set all along and discover with their kids how their country has changed in the last century.

But a better solution probably would have been to put a warning sticker on each box stating : "This product is not a f***ing electronic baby-sitter. Pick up one of those stupid sing-along dvds instead and leave this stuff to the experts."
Old 07-22-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still having problems beliving the war time ones will be anything close to uncut...
Old 07-22-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
I'm still having problems beliving the war time ones will be anything close to uncut...
I do too. Hopefully they will do like they did on the Mickey Mouse in Black White and just give a warning prior to those that "need" one.
Old 07-22-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
Rule: NEVER trust Disney when they say “uncut” (best example: Fantasia). Always wait for reviews.
Old 07-22-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty peeved about the whole Treasures series. I completely missed the Goofy set, never saw it in a store and by the time I heard about it, it couldn't be found anywhere other than from price gougers. I'm glad they released these, but I don't see the point in actually making them limited editions. There is obviously higher demand than supply. Either that or the creeps that buy every copy at the store just to auction them off are sitting on a huge stockpile.
Old 07-22-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't trust ANY studio. Every single one has lied.

Weren't there already a few cuts on the other discs?
Old 07-22-03, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Roto
I'm pretty peeved about the whole Treasures series. I completely missed the Goofy set, never saw it in a store and by the time I heard about it, it couldn't be found anywhere other than from price gougers. I'm glad they released these, but I don't see the point in actually making them limited editions. There is obviously higher demand than supply. Either that or the creeps that buy every copy at the store just to auction them off are sitting on a huge stockpile.
I was late to the party as well, but I manged to get them all.
Old 07-23-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by nice_skis
But I don't know what they'll do with the 3 cartoons featuring Chip and Dale. They could probably include them on a set featuring some of those Disney special cartoons like Morris the Midget moose, Pigs is pigs, Hooked bear, Goliath II and It's tough to be a bird [/B]
Dude, there was ALOT of Chip N' Dale Cartoons. I can remember at least 10 right off the bat since C&D are one of my most fav cartoons. They were mainly with Donald so I wonder if theyll make a C&D set or just put them with Donald.
Old 07-23-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

. Either that or the creeps that buy every copy at the store just to auction them off are sitting on a huge stockpile.
Exactly. Thats what alot of people do. They get greedy and deny us true fans. Just wait till they come out, youll see em all over the trade forum here and you'll know who those people are. Theyll be out hoping to have copies of the next "Mickey Mouse in Living Color"

Thankfully, I own them all.
Old 07-23-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty peeved about the whole Treasures series. I completely missed the Goofy set, never saw it in a store and by the time I heard about it, it couldn't be found anywhere other than from price gougers.
I got my Complete Goofy about 2 months ago for retail at a Border's. I jumped on the Treasures wagon late (2 months ago) and managed to get them all for retail or less within a 2 week span (except for MMILC). The way I found Goofy was by going to borders.com, and checking store inventory for every store in the US until I found one that had in stock. When I found one, I just made a quick call to verify they really had it, and had them ship it to me like a mail order. Maybe one or two Border's stores out there still have one laying around.

Hope that helps someone out.
Shagrath
Old 07-23-03, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Ravenous
Dude, there was ALOT of Chip n' Dale Cartoons. I can remember at least 10 right off the bat since C&D are one of my most fav cartoons. They were mainly with Donald so I wonder if theyll make a C&D set or just put them with Donald.
Most of those cartoons where Chip an' Dale appeared were indeed Donald, Mickey or Pluto cartoon with Chip an' Dale in them.

There were only 3 cartoons starring the chipmunks :

- Chicken in the rough (1951)
- Two chips and a miss (1952)
- The lone chipmunks (1954)

Look at any other one of those cartoons you were refering to and it will either say :

"A Walt Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon" (as in the 1952 Christmas classic "Pluto's Christmas tree"),

"A Walt Disney Pluto cartoon" (as in the 1946 Academy Award nominated cartoon "Squatter's right" )

or "A Walt Disney Donald Duck cartoon" (as in the 1947 cartoon where they were given their names "Chip An' Dale")