Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Cover-art for snappers: Where does Hollywood Video get them?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-03, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently moved to Tennessee and I visited my local Hollywood Video for the first time today. I was amazed to see many Warner Bros. and other “snapper” titles in keep cases with cover art. Even E.T. was in a keep case with professionally manufactured cover-art!

Where and how do they get it? Why don’t WB and other companies just package their DVDs in keep cases if they are printing these covers for rental stores? (Are they even aware that many of us dislike snappers?)
Old 07-07-03, 03:52 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the one near me they take the cardboard cover out of the snap case frame and stick it in the keep case. They even tore apart the ultimate toy story box set into individual discs. I _really_ don't like how they treat the cases.
Old 07-13-03, 06:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Hollywood (and Blockbuster) have the studios create keepcase versions of snappers, digipaks, and other non-keepcase cases. I think they do this to 1) create a consistency on the shelves and 2) have cases that are more durable. I've purchased several of these... I actually wait to buy most WB titles at Hollywood just to avoid adding another snapper to my shelf. Another thing to note: the artwork on these doesn't have the UPC code, so they are clearly designed for 'display' purposes and not retail.
Old 07-14-03, 07:39 PM

I do the same thing. I only buy used warners from HV. Warner is losing a lot of sales on new DVDs from me.