Red Dragon DE vs. Red Dragon CE

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at information on these two, but couldn't find an answer to my question. What is the difference between the actual movies? Or is there no difference at all? I know that there are more extras on the DE, but I didn't find any other info. Thanks
Old 07-13-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There is no difference between the movies. They are the exact same thing.
Old 07-13-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
To clarify: Disc 1 of the 2 disc set is the same as the single disc version.
Old 07-13-03, 01:23 PM

As D-Ball states, the only difference is the number of extras. I finally broke down and bought the CE (packaged with "The Bone Collector" for $17.99). Good enough for a movie I wasn't especially crazy about.
Old 07-13-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

then, what's the point of "director's cut"?
Old 07-13-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
then, what's the point of "director's cut"?
It's a "Director's Edition", actually. It refers to the DVD, not the movie itself. Mainly to just make extra money for Universal. But I guess if you need a meaning, it would be "how Brett Ratner wanted the DVD to look".
Old 07-13-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by troystiffler
It's a "Director's Edition", actually. It refers to the DVD, not the movie itself. Mainly to just make extra money for Universal. But I guess if you need a meaning, it would be "how Brett Ratner wanted the DVD to look".
ah

thank you
Old 07-13-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
There isn't much of value on that second disc, but there is a pretty fun 35 min "Video diary" that I enjoyed. My favorite part : In location scouting, watching Dino DeLaurentes try to talk a nice couple into letting him blow up their cherished historical home. "But I buy you a newww home!"
Certainly not worth the difference in price, esp with the new 2-pack deal.
Old 07-13-03, 10:21 PM
Banned

Other than "Red Dragon", when was the last time anyone saw a 2-disc set that actually cost any more money than a single-disc set? The actual DVD's are so cheap that the number of discs barely influences the price these days. If you ask me, the whole thing was just Universal's way of testing consumers to see if they were willing to pay more for extras. I bought the DE but if I had to guess I'd say that the CE probably outsold the DE ten to one at least, proving that people like extras but not enough to shell out more money for them. Hopefully, Universal won't try a stunt like this again in the future.
Old 07-14-03, 07:13 AM

I know what you mean. I almost always buy the "loaded" edition of a movie, but for Red Dragon I couldn't justify it. I got the CE for @ $15 whereas the DE was close to $30. It was an easy decision to go with the CE.
Old 07-14-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally posted by GuruAskew
Other than "Red Dragon", when was the last time anyone saw a 2-disc set that actually cost any more money than a single-disc set? The actual DVD's are so cheap that the number of discs barely influences the price these days. If you ask me, the whole thing was just Universal's way of testing consumers to see if they were willing to pay more for extras. I bought the DE but if I had to guess I'd say that the CE probably outsold the DE ten to one at least, proving that people like extras but not enough to shell out more money for them.
Disney would agree with you. They tried to "two-teir" their new animated films. Collectors like myself shelled out the big bux for the SEs of films like Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, Toy Story, Bug's Life, Fantasia, Tarzan and Dinosaur, but most people were happy with the single disc. Now they seem to either choose a single disc with some extras (treasure Planet) or put out a loaded 2-disc set at a reasonable price (Monster's Inc., Beauty and the Beast). I think the studios are discovering that this isn't like laserdisc, people want extras, but they want them included, not at an extra charge.
Old 07-14-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Director's Edition is available as an enrollment from Columbia House now, which is about the only way I see myself buying that version. I rarely look at extra features, but a 2-disc set always looks fancier on the shelf...
Old 07-14-03, 09:16 PM

in chinatown, i can find the director's edition (and mind you, it's a legit release) for $19.99 canadian, tax included.