Need help on something about the audio of DVD's

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right basically im trying to find out more about the audio side of DVD's as im a producer looking for samples all the time. I wanna know if common DVD movies have multiple audio channels (they must if they are surround anyways) and also wether the music is always seperated so that i can get access to the main voices/sfx.
Is there a piece of software that anyone can suggest that will allow me to analyze the channels and extract individual ones.
BTW i don't have surround sound and im not looking to get it either, i just want to be able to hear the seperate channels individually through one single speaker.
please help me if u can ppl
SCOTT
Old 06-25-03, 06:57 PM

If you have a DVD player with a built-in DD decoder, you can just hook up the different channel outputs to whatever you're recording with.
Old 06-25-03, 07:18 PM

So is it possible then thats what i mainly wanna know. DOes every dvd hav its voices split up.
Also i don't really do DVD players so whats a DD decoder. Is it a split up out put using multiple wires for the different channels of sound.
Like i said though this is mainly only useful if the music is seperate from the other channels.
scott
Old 06-25-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No, it isn't separated. The only way you could isolate the music is if the DVD features an isolated score (Superman is a notable example).

As for sound effects, there are a few Pixar animated films on DVD that have isolated sound effects tracks (A Bug's Life (CE), Toy Story, Toy Story 2). The TS discs may only have the isolated sound effects in the Ultimate Toy Box; I'm not sure.
Old 06-26-03, 12:42 PM

But think about this, most films allow you to choose a language. This means that the normal language has to disappear whilst everything else stays, therefore if u can change the language, u musit be able to get the dialogue on its own.
scott
Old 06-26-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Djsolstice
But think about this, most films allow you to choose a language. This means that the normal language has to disappear whilst everything else stays, therefore if u can change the language, u musit be able to get the dialogue on its own.
scott
No, not at all. Everything is entirely re-encoded on each audio track. Each channel (speaker) is permanently mixed. You can seperate left from right easy enough, but there is no way to separate voices from sound effects from music within a track.