Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I hate the cardboard case for "E.T."

Old 06-21-03, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this was discussed when the DVD was released a while back, but I'm new here and haven't participated.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was so disappointed with the "E.T." DVD case.

That folding cardboard case with the jagged cutout front has already snagged onto a couple other cases shelved on either side of it. The cardboard is destined to wear down in a short amount of time. This case is way too "busy."

But the coup de grace of the whole thing, and what really makes me wanna just stomp on bunnies, is that there is no title on the spine. And when its on the shelf with my whole collection, you have no idea I even own "E.T.," due to lack of films' title being displayed on the side.

Anyone know what the purpose of this was? Or just a design oversight?
Old 06-21-03, 04:32 PM
Banned

Ha, I think as a community we're really starting to reach for things to complain about.

I'll give you this...the omission of a spine title is a little dumb.
Old 06-21-03, 04:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Same here. Tore part of the cardboard taking off the price sticker.
Old 06-21-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, people mentioned it before. Everyone hated it and it actually created so much interest in custom made covers that the custom covers threads started getting too long that a forum for them was soon made.
Old 06-21-03, 05:04 PM
Suspended

www.dvdcoverart.com has a great 2-disc custom cover you can download.
Old 06-21-03, 05:04 PM
Rest in Peace

Buy DVD changer and only handle it once, like my 4 DVD chagers on 300 + 1 allow me to do. I have Unbreakable, Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Grease, E.T., Die Another Day, but I have them touched only once. Get the 2 discs out and into the changers then, leave the cases in my Sauder© Brand Hardwood cabinets.
Old 06-21-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty screwed if someone comes and says, "Hey, look...DVD changers! I think I'll take those!" THen you're just stuck with empty shells of what you had.
Old 06-21-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The case does suck. I guess if the title was on the spine, I would have less of a problem with it. I do like the actual cover art.

Universal's alternative keepcases are pretty horrid (American Pie UE, another example).
Old 06-21-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Universal could have easily solved the problem with a slipcase to put the original case in. I wish that were an option. I'd buy it just to have the title on the spine (if they promised never to make another case like that again.)
Old 06-21-03, 07:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The copies I saw at Hollywood Video were actually keepcases, much like the WB releases I've purchased previously viewed with nice, normal keepcases. Unfortunately, Hollywood Video doesn't usually have previously viewed copies of catalog titles for sale. I still haven't seen this one p.v.ed.
Old 06-21-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
One of the reasons I'm glad I got the Gift Set.
Old 06-21-03, 09:02 PM
Suspended

I love my case...of course I printed one up from DVDCA
Old 06-21-03, 10:17 PM
Rest in Peace

Originally posted by reubs82
Pretty screwed if someone comes and says, "Hey, look...DVD changers! I think I'll take those!" THen you're just stuck with empty shells of what you had.
You might think of them as empty shells but me I have them in air conditioned Sauder all hard wood cases, staying mint like when they were first put in there. Staying on subject and pleasing is tough choice but I'll stay with my fully loaded changers, you can take the chance of scratching and accidents do happen.
Old 06-22-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Welcome to the club. I have that crap packaging too, as well as the Gift Set. But I saw the R3 version that comes with a keep case. That was a lot better than the R1 version.
Old 06-22-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Me too! I love the case! Oh, ought to add (ha, ha) that I downloaded the custom cover from DVD Cover Art and printed my own. Bought 1/2 dozen Double (Empty) ALPHAPak Cases a while ago from dv-depot.com and keep them in the closet for instances like this.

The original cover did suck in a big way though! But, I don't feel obligated to keep inferior covers. I've replaced ALL of my snapper cases & covers!

High quality color printers sure are nice!
Old 06-22-03, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by CitizenKaneRBud
www.dvdcoverart.com has a great 2-disc custom cover you can download.
I went to dvdcoverart.com, downloaded the winzip file and every time I attempt to print out, I get this message in a little gray box:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there was an error writing LPT1: for the printer (HP Deskjet 710C series): There was a problem printing to the printer due to an unknown system error. Restart windows, and then try printing again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is info on the file:

In "C"
Unzipped Folder/Name of folder is "et_cstmjo_hires (1)
JPeg Image/Size is 2,504 KB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM, OR KNOWS OF A LINK TO HELP ME OUT SO I CAN PRINT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. MUCH APPRECIATEED.
Old 06-22-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tarnmower, is that problem happens just when you tried to print the cover, or it's happen everytime you want to print anything? Usually this kind of error occurs because of some hardware incompabilities.
Old 06-22-03, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by eedoon
Tarnmower, is that problem happens just when you tried to print the cover, or it's happen everytime you want to print anything? Usually this kind of error occurs because of some hardware incompabilities.
It has never happened before this. When I try to print the cover, I get that warning. I even sent the picture of the cover to a separate document folder and then tried printing, but got the same result. I think I'll go back to the dvdcoverart website and see if there's anything there that will help me.
Old 06-22-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the DVD replacement cover from dvdcoverart.com and am quite happy with that. I gladly threw away the piece of crap it was orignally packaged in, no regrets at all, just as I did with the card board case Christmas Story came in when I got the replacement cover for that.
Old 06-22-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the dvd first came out, half the threads on the board were on how bad the packaging was (or something bad with the E.T dvd)
Old 06-22-03, 10:29 PM

Tarnower: It may be due to the image printing outside the area that your printer can print. I've had this occur before at work and it means the image needs to be resized/cropped for your printer. Just my guess...
Old 06-22-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They should've include a slip-case for E.T. That would've fix all the problems we are hearing.