Remove Scuffs and Scratches With Toothpaste

Old 06-21-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Remove Scuffs and Scratches With Toothpaste

I had a dvd that was all scratched up due to it being a floater and it wouldn't play on my dvd player.

I was able to remove the numerous scratches and scuffs by applying a small amount of toothpaste on the affected areas and the disc looks good as new and now plays perfectly.

If you try this, don't scrub the disc, just smear a small amount of toothpaste and then gently clean it off, and don't use a circular motion but work your way from the center of the disc to the edge until all the toothpaste is gone. Also don't use any type of cloth that might scratch your disc.
Old 06-21-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any of mine that didn't have a physical gouge, I've been able to clean with clear water and a soft cloth. If there is physical damage to the disc I don't understand how the toothpaste would work, but I never question success. If it works it's worth a try. If it's already not playing what do you have to lose?
Old 06-21-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if it's a floater try returning it.
Old 06-21-03, 06:17 PM

Should I use a toothpaste with baking soda? cool mint gel? extra whitening? How about an electric toothbrush?

Should I floss too?
Old 06-21-03, 06:29 PM
Rest in Peace

I have the manually operated skip Doctor and I dry and gloss it upo wth natural felt. For $54.95 you can get it electric i's slow but most scratches come out.

Skipping discs I use hot water and liquid Ivory or Irish Spring soap, let soak then dry with felt across the disc AKA Radial.

P. S. Radial as across the disc, not as in car tires. LOL