Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Two Towers Extended: Does it have a free ticket for ROTK?

Old 06-20-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the Two Towers Extended Cut have a free moviecash ticket in it? Does anybody know at this point?
Old 06-20-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is a good ?, I would like to know this as well
Old 06-20-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My guess would be "yes". New Line has been very generous when it comes to the LOTR series, and I don't see them cheaping out on this.
Old 06-20-03, 05:00 PM

If they do I hope Canada gets some tickets this time.
Old 06-20-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can think of extremely valid arguements and logic for both possible answers. I will be very curious to see what the final decision is.
Old 06-20-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt they will. Why give away free tickets when they know people will buy the tickets and the DVD no matter what?

Don't count on it.
Old 06-20-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ProjectMayhem
I doubt they will. Why give away free tickets when they know people will buy the tickets and the DVD no matter what?
Of course, you could use the same arguement for LOTR :FOTR EE, but it had the tickets in it.
Old 06-20-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It is to early to tell.
Old 06-20-03, 05:54 PM

Oh come on. I for one am counting on it simply because it was done for the last EE. They're not cheap asses like some other companies.

doc
Old 06-20-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Magic Eight Ball says: Yes.
Old 06-20-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I view this less as the studio saying "Here's a free ticket so you'll come see the movie" as more "Hey, we know you're going to see the movie anyways, and we really appreciate your support of the trilogy, so see it on us as a thank you."
Old 06-20-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bored much?
Old 06-20-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus most of us are going to see it for free once and a few more times paying for it. So they really do not lose much plus it might get a few to decide to buy the extended version.

I say yes
Old 06-20-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right. People who buy the EE will then see ROTK 7 times in the theater instead of 6.
Old 06-20-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DrMcKittrick
Oh come on. I for one am counting on it simply because it was done for the last EE. They're not cheap asses like some other companies.

doc
I agree. Some other companies might not even tell us about an EE ahead of time. The free ticket is a nice gesture and, to me, it is away of New Line keeping customers satisifed enough to want to buy more from their company.
Old 06-20-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I see it as just another marketing gimmick to fluff up the Box office intake.

Look at how Universal and a lot of other studios have started filling re-releases and Extra special editions with the free pass to the next films theater release. This makes sure that they have a certain amount of box office intake by buying you a ticket to the place. It's not a bad thing, but it's a way WB can secure that you will be at the theater opening weekend. (Like we wouldn't have been otherwise )
Old 06-20-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot all about the free ticket with the original Extended Edition. My mistake.
Old 06-20-03, 09:22 PM
mwj

I think they will. It's a good way to spike the box office a little. It probably does not cost them much either as the ticket company most likely chips in on the cost.
Old 06-20-03, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by mwj
I think they will. It's a good way to spike the box office a little. It probably does not cost them much either as the ticket company most likely chips in on the cost.
Plus, there may be many tickets that won't even be used. They'll still be in the DVDs sitting on the shelf for those that have not sold before the expiration date on the ticket.
Old 06-20-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonkeyKong
Plus, there may be many tickets that won't even be used. They'll still be in the DVDs sitting on the shelf for those that have not sold before the expiration date on the ticket.
There were 2 FOTR EE DVDs that were still on the shelf the day the ticket expired at my store. This was mostly due to newer stock, ones without tickets, being placed in front of them. Still, for a while before xmas the DVD was hard to come by, so most got sold before the expiration date. However, a lot were probably xmas presents that might not have been watched until well after the expiration date.

New Line will put a ticket in if they feel the benefits from the free promotion outweighed its cost. In fact, seeing as how many recent DVDs have had free tickets for its respective sequel, it seems that many studios are finding out how well these tickets increase revenue.
Old 06-21-03, 12:16 AM
Cool New Member

I see it as just another marketing gimmick to fluff up the Box office intake.
To a degree, this is probably a valid argument, but does it really matter in the end? Tons of people are going to see it anyway (many of them multiple times). Nevertheless, I do think it's a nice gesture on NL's part--they didn't have to do it for the FOTR DVD and they don't have to do it for TTT DVD (but I believe they will). So I say "Thank you" to NL.
Old 06-21-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of you seem to be missing the point of Moviecash.

Usually, there's ONE free ticket.

Studios know that 95% of people go to the theaters with other people, usually a significant other.

By including ONE free ticket with a DVD, they know that whoever else you bring will have to BUY a ticket. One moviecash ticket ensures that they'll pull in at least one more person that otherwise might not have bothered seeing the film.

Moviecash is usually packaged witha fluffed-up special edition of a film, that the studio already knows you'll buy. Considering how little they've had to invest to ensure you'll re-purchase a film, they can afford to include a MovieCash.

Trust me, I work in a movie theater, and there's very few people who come to the theater alone.
Old 06-21-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Some of you seem to be missing the point of Moviecash.

Usually, there's ONE free ticket.

Studios know that 95% of people go to the theaters with other people, usually a significant other.

By including ONE free ticket with a DVD, they know that whoever else you bring will have to BUY a ticket. One moviecash ticket ensures that they'll pull in at least one more person that otherwise might not have bothered seeing the film.

Moviecash is usually packaged witha fluffed-up special edition of a film, that the studio already knows you'll buy. Considering how little they've had to invest to ensure you'll re-purchase a film, they can afford to include a MovieCash.

Trust me, I work in a movie theater, and there's very few people who come to the theater alone.
Well lets all show them and buy one Two Towers EE for each family member
Old 06-21-03, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gcribbs
Well lets all show them and buy one Two Towers EE for each family member
Old 06-21-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Though it's too early to tell, I do hope there'll be a nice free ticket in the EE. I know i"m going to see this movie more than once and having that free ticket takes some of the pressure off my wallet.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.