Reload this Page >

Netflix Vs Walmart

Community
Search

Netflix Vs Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A nice thing about netflix is that it's pretty small and niche and most of the members seem to be film geeks like us who treat their DVDs properly.

Can you imagine what a walmart rental disc would look like after being out 4 times?
Old 06-23-03, 02:55 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Netflix has slowed down their mailings? They'll receive one of my returned DVDs on Monday, the new selection will pop up late Monday morning, but it says "shipping on Wednesday".

They are purposefully waiting a day or two to ship in order to slow me down!! I currently average about 15 DVDs/month - we'll see what it goes down to. grrrrrrr
Old 06-23-03, 04:12 PM
Cool New Member

All service being equal (I know Walmart has quite a ways to go), Walmart has a terrific competitive advantage: PRICE. Walmart is the largest buyer of DVD movies, and as a result, it has greater buying power than anybody, period. The could run the business with lower prices and similar profit margins and drive out Netflix.

That said, I hope Netflix wins.
Old 06-23-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was able to rent and return 15 movies last month under the Netflix $19.99 plan. I can't complain....
Old 06-23-03, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

I am happy with Netflix. Have been a member since 1999 (yikes) and have only got happier with time. For a while a few years ago the shipments got really slow, but nowdays they are fast. I send Movie Monday, they receive my movie Tuesday and send the next one same day, I get new movie Wednesday. Can't beat that.

Plus, I am grandfathered into their original plan, 4 movies at a time for $19.99 a month. I would be crazy to leave now, they have me stuck forever!

Their selection is good, most movies are available quickly, and if I have to wait a little while, so be it, I know I will always get something I want, since my queue usually hovers at around 100 titles. I was disappointed when they stopped sending both disks of two disk sets together, but other than that they are perfect.
Old 06-23-03, 07:19 PM

I've found my ship times are very quick. I returned two movies on Saturday, they received them on Monday, and had two new ones by Wednesday and Thursday.

And I live over 400 miles from my shipping branch of Netflix!!
Old 06-24-03, 07:01 AM

Netflix sucks.
Old 06-24-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am using Wal-Mart's free month now, and I"m still a Netflix subscriber. After half a month, Wal-Mart has done nothing to impress me. Their send and receive times are both slow, plus their website is subpar. The only nice thing I will say is that Wal-Mart has Rope available while Netflix does not. I wanted to see that film for a long time. Wal-Mart will be getting a cancellation from me in early July.
Old 06-24-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by John Atkins
Netflix sucks.
Thank you for the well thought out argument supported by documented facts.
Old 06-24-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just tried to sign-up for Wal-Mart's free trial offer and after entering 10 of my most wanted to see titles, I couldn't find one that Wal-Mart even carried! That's right, it's not that Wal-Mart didn't have these titles in stock, they weren't even in their database! Meanwhile, Netflix's carries them all.

Granted, these were all cult/horror titles from small, independent DVD distributors, but those are the very titles which I can't find at any of the 3 video stores within a mile of where I live. That's why I'm looking for them on the web!

Winner: NetFlix.
Old 06-24-03, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Granted, these were all cult/horror titles from small, independent DVD distributors, but those are the very titles which I can't find at any of the 3 video stores within a mile of where I live. That's why I'm looking for them on the web!

Winner: NetFlix.
What did you expect from Wallymart? I mean come on guys. Neflix has been doing this for some time and is marketing to a little bit different demographic.

Wallymart == Joe 6-pac
Neflix == heavy movie watcher
Old 06-24-03, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

That brings me back to my original point, what use does "Joe 6-pack" have for a DVD rent-by-mail service, no matter which company its from.
Old 06-25-03, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you guys hear about Netflix's patent? I think it's ludicrous. What'll we have next? Blockbuster patenting video rental?

Netflix Rental Process Gets Patented
Tue Jun 24, 7:18 PM ET Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

LOS GATOS, Calif. - Online DVD rental service Netflix Inc. on Tuesday said it received U.S. patents covering the methods it uses to log customer requests and track checked-out movies.

Netflix has built one of the Internet's biggest subscription services by charging $19.95 per month for the right to rent as many as three DVDs for an unlimited time. When subscribers mail back a DVD, Netflix sends another movie from a personal wish list stored at the company's Web site.

Since its 1999 inception, Netflix has attracted more than 1 million subscribers. The company's success is attracting more competition, including a similar service offered by Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the nation's largest retailer.

Netflix, which is based in Los Gatos, Calif., hasn't determined whether any of its rivals are infringing on the newly issued patent, spokeswoman Lynn Brinton said. The company plans to collect royalties from any DVD rental service using the roughly 100 processes covered under the patent, Brinton said.

Old 06-25-03, 12:29 PM
Cool New Member

to me it sounds like they are just getting a patent for the software they use. whats wrong with that?
Old 06-25-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Netflix's 2-out deal used to be '2 out at a time, unlimited;' now it's '2 out at a time, max of 4 a month' which to me is worthless. I'm on the old 2-out plan, we just weren't getting our money's worth with 3 due to personal situations.

I'm not a patent lawyer, but you can also patent methods of doing something--some kid patented a method of swinging on a tire swing left to right instead of right to left, or something silly like that. So it may well be more than just the software, but their whole business plan [check 'em in here, use this software, conveyor them down here, etc.]

My speed to/from netflix has been pretty good recently, [no more than 2 days each way, including Sunday], but my last one has slowed down--took 3 days to get there, and has taken 3 so far to receive it. But flukes do happen, so I'll see what happens next time.
Old 06-25-03, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Jolard
Plus, I am grandfathered into their original plan, 4 movies at a time for $19.99 a month. I would be crazy to leave now, they have me stuck forever!
How the heck did you get this deal? I have been a member since they started, and was originally under that deal. Then I got an email which basically said "pay us more for 4 at a time ($24.95)". There was no "loyalty" award to stay with them.

Maybe they just forgot about you.
Old 06-25-03, 05:13 PM

Netflix lost EIGHT discs that I sent in just before Memorial Day, and then tried to blame it on the USPS. I couldnt check out any DVDs during the four day weekend, so I was a little upset. When I pressed them about this, and tried to get the Post Office to investigate, they suddenly showed up again (after about 2 weeks). I was in the eight out program, but I cancelled after that. I have heard rumors that if you check out too many discs, and the profit margin drops below a certain point, they will do things like this to you. I have also had trouble with availability at times (it seems like the waiting period increases the longer you are a member). So, Movie_Man, I hope this is detailed enough for you. One more thing... there seem to be more and more people with your attitude on this forum lately, and that is why I hesitate to post here very often.
Old 06-25-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by John Atkins
One more thing... there seem to be more and more people with your attitude on this forum lately, and that is why I hesitate to post here very often.
What do you expect when you post something like "Netflix sucks". This just comes off as a threadcrap. I agree with Movie_Man's response.
Old 06-29-03, 09:31 AM
Cool New Member

well to everyone taht is hoping for walmart's attempt to fail there is a good chance it will as netflix has recently patened the online rental service and at the time it has not been decided if they will allow walmart to use it...
Old 06-29-03, 11:32 PM

FWIW I tried walmarts serviace before I tried netflix around the first of the year and the only difference was in delivery time. I live in Louisiana and the distribuation center was in Georgia. Turnaround was 6-8 days. Meaning from the time the disc leaves my house till i recieve a replacement. With Netflix it is just 5 days with distribution center being in Houston being.

Netflix has cured what had become an addiction with me of buying DVD's. I have only bought 3 DVD's in the last 3 months. I use the 5 out plan. Now if I can only figure out what has gone on with the first season Farscape discs.
Old 07-01-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Netflix shipped out both discs "Gangs of NY" to me yesterday, but it was only counted as one.

Is their policy changing?

I'm all for it if it is.