Voices of a Distant Star Audio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-03, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voices of a Distant Star Audio Problem

DVD Talk Review

http://www.cctao.com/hoshi_no_koe_comparison.html

THE PROBLEM
The only problem is that the alternate vocals aren't on the disc. When I played the Director's Cut, the audio was exactly the same as that of the Feature. To be sure of the differences in the versions I checked with digisubs that had the director's version and the voice actor's version. I tried multiple ways of accessing the director's cut vocals. I tried launching it from the extras page. I tried to access it by changing the audio selection on-the-fly during playback.

Finally I ripped both Japanese audio streams on my computer and listened to the AC3 streams. Both streams contain the voice actor's version. None of the audio streams contain Shinkai and Shinohara's version.

WHY CARE?
Besides the fact that a rather important feature that is supposed to be there isn't? It pretty much means that there isn't a Director's Cut on the DVD.
For me, personally, I prefer Shinkai and Shinohara's version. There is an emotional depth present that really brings out the story for me. Perhaps it's because this is Shinkai's own anime. And that fact is one of the major draws of this story and anime for me.
That is really too bad because other than that it's an excellent DVD and a really excellent anime. I would expect ADV Films to be doing something. At least I would hope so.
Old 06-10-03, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is rather disappointing. I doubt ADV will do much for this title, but one can always hope!
Old 06-10-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This infuriates me, mainly because it is such a stupid mistake. I was looking forward to having both audio streams. I really hope they fix this issue, but I don't think they have admitted to it yet. This was brought up last week on animeondvd and I think they stayed out of that thread.
Old 07-01-03, 09:15 AM

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3834

From Janice Williams of ADV Films:

We have identified and corrected the problem with the alternate Japanese track on the Voices of a Distant Star release. If you have a Voices of a Distant Star disc you would like to replace, follow these instructions.

Email ADV Customer Service at "returns @ advfilms.com". Use of this email address, rather than the normal Customer Service email address, will speed your claim. Include your name, email and shipping address.

You will be sent a form letter to complete and a pre-addressed, pre-paid shipping envelope via UPS.

Complete the form letter; put the form letter and your Voices of a Distant Star disc in the envelope; and drop it in the nearest UPS shipping box.

As soon as ADV receives the old disc, a corrected disc will be shipped to you.

Please be sure to complete the form fully, carefully and legibly to hasten the return process.

The original Voices of a Distant Star disc failed to include the Japanese voice track of creator Makoto Shinkai and his finacee.

Williams has also stated that fixed discs will be available in retail stores, but there is no timetable for their release, and no changes will be made to the packaging.