Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Replacing Evil Dead series - best of the bunch?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Never let people use your dvd's.
I made this mistake and now need to replace my evil dead series.
Now that I must start over,what versions are the best in both audio and visual.
These are the versions of each that I had.Region 1.
I wasnt that impressed with the bootleg edition but the others seemed to be very good transfers.

Old 06-20-03, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evil Dead = Evil Dead: The Book of the Dead edition
Evil Dead II = Both the single disc and collector's tin from Anchor Bay contain the same quality print

AoD = For the money, the Boomstick Edition is the best bargain out there (both cuts in one package) but the transfer is the same as you'd find in the bootleg, the original Limited Edition, etc. If you want a markedly better transfer, there is a region 3 version that has a much better transfer.
Old 06-20-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Im thinking I will get the first 2 as I had them before.
As for AOD,There are so many I didnt know what one was best.Price isnt the issue,I just want the best transfer.
Region 3 I can play if I hack my dvd player.I have the Sony DVP-NC655P and it should have a hack by now.
Old 06-20-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Evil Dead -Book of the Dead edition
Evil Dead II -the regular one (unless you feel the need to pay extra for a tin. I didn't)
AOD -definitely the MGM R3 disc, if you can play it. It blows away the bootleg edition.
Old 06-20-03, 09:22 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the first Evil Dead you don't need the Book of the Dead edition. ALL of the extras are on the standard one you already had (at less than half the price). To access them, in case you didn't know, here's what you do for a few of them:

Fanalysis--Go to the make-up test egg (title 14, chapter 1) in order to find Fanalysis. As it starts to play hit the right skip or chapter advance button twice and it will jump over its return instructions (title 14 chapter 2) and reveal the feature entitled Fanalysis (title 15, chapter 1)

Evil Dead featurette--Starting at the main menu, you need to select the audio setup. Then pck commentaries. Then pick the commentary for Bruce Campbell. When the word "play" is highlighted in red, press enter. After the THX intro, the commentary for Bruce will start over a still picture (title 19, chapter 1). As this is playing, press the right skip or chapter advance button twice. This will skip over its play movie command (title 19, chapter 2) so that it will reveal the Discovering the Evil Dead featurette (title 20, chapter 1)

Side-note--You can also select these by directly typing in the title's (i.e. 15 or 20 etc..) from your remote. This disc is EXACTLY the same as the Book of the Dead edition (minus being able to directly access the extras and of course the booklet).

Oh, also get back the Evil Dead II disc you already had and as far as AOD goes, I have 6 R1 versions so it's a toss-up. Anchor Bay trasferred all of the current ones from the same source. If you are looking for the most "complete" package on the market right now (I assume R1)-I say go with the Boomstick edition. But if you really want the 2-disc L.E. from a little while back which is OOP, right now they are a BARGAIN in ebay. Between those two, it's up to you. If you have a codefree player then get the R3 release.

Last edited by AOD; 06-20-03 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Originally posted by AOD
As far as the first Evil Dead you don't need the Book of the Dead edition. ALL of the extras are on the standard one you already had (at less than half the price.
Thats true, but the awesome packaging is worth the extra money to me. It even smells evil.
Old 06-21-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with AOD, get the versions of Evil Dead and Evil Dead II that you already had. Then get the Boomstick edition of Army of Darkness.