El Mariachi/Desperado rerelease

Old 06-18-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

El Mariachi/Desperado rerelease

From DVDFile.com:

"Also making their DVD debuts are a number of new catalog releases. From director Robert Rodriquez comes Desperado and El Mariarchi, each getting a new special edition with remastered transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround tracks. Both include audio commentary with Rodriquez, the "Exclusive First Look at Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and two separate "10-Minute Film School" featurettes, trailers, and on El Mariarchi, the short film "Bedhead." Retail is $19.95 each or $26.95 for a value-priced two-pack."

Can anybody confirm if this 2 pack will be the same as the Double Feature disc with both movies on it? The only thing that looks different are new transfers and a look at Once Upon A Time In Mexico. If this is true I think I'll stick with my current edition.
Old 06-18-03, 11:26 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I like the 2-pack that I already have, and I don't see a reason for upgrading if that's all you get is a "first look" at a new movie and remasters (the old 2-pack looks very good). I can't remember about the sound though -- were they both in 5.1?
Old 06-18-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For those counting, this is the fourth different version of Desperado to be released on DVD. That has to be some sort of a record, no?

BTW: It does sound like a repackaging of the Double Feature set, which is what I have and won't bother upgrading.
Old 06-18-03, 12:07 PM

Remastered transfers sounds fishy to me, the old ones were probably "remastered" and these are the same ones again. I have doubts that Columbia would spend money to re-transfer El Mariachi. I have the double feature disc too, and its really badass. A new featurette that might be lame isn't worth the upgrade to me. The price just dropped like a rock on this thing, the double feature used to be MSRP $40, now I see it at BB for $15. Great set of films if you don't have them yet, and the 10 minute film schools plus the commentaries are really very interesting. Rodriquez packs the commentaries full of great comments about what tricks and tactics he used to make these films. He talks pretty fast, so he is able to get a lot in
Old 06-18-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did the original El Mariachi DVD have a 5.1 soundtrack? I might be interested in checking this out, and would also like to see if this one has an English language track as well. The VHS copies were first released in both Spanish (with subtitles) and English versions.
Old 06-18-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I won't bother with the upgarde for this occasion...
Old 06-18-03, 01:00 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I already have 2 editions of Desperado: El Mariachi/Desperado Double Feature and Desperado Superbit, and that's enough for me.
Old 06-18-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will wait for the trilogy box set...
Old 06-18-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have any version of either, so I'll wait to see which one looks and sounds better.
Old 06-18-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Originally posted by Decker
For those counting, this is the fourth different version of Desperado to be released on DVD. That has to be some sort of a record, no?
Apparantly you've never heard of a little company called Anchor Bay.
Old 06-18-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right. Army of Darkness might beat it, I'm not sure as I've lost count. In any case, this has got to be the most by any major studio.
Old 06-18-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
You're right. Army of Darkness might beat it, I'm not sure as I've lost count. In any case, this has got to be the most by any major studio.
I think a certain pie humping movie has that record.
Old 06-18-03, 04:35 PM

This is what I have been waiting for. I love El Mariachi but have zero interest in Desperado. So that makes one person...
Old 06-18-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by purplechoe
I think a certain pie humping movie has that record.
Nope, only three releases, "Collector's Edition", "Ultimate Edition" and the new "American Pie / Beneath the Crust vol 1" (which is really just the same as the previous edition with a second DVD packaged, I think). I don't count FF/ WS and Rated/ Unrated as they all came out at the same time and all.
Old 06-18-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No need for an upgrade on this one for me.
Old 06-18-03, 07:00 PM

I will be glad to get rid of my double sided disc for 2 individual discs.
Old 06-18-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw El Mariachi once and that was enough.
I have the Desperado Superbit and that is enough.
No chance of me getting this.
Old 06-18-03, 08:54 PM

Lets hope these are a little less expensive. Here where I live (in Ontario) the old release was no less than $50. A little to rich for me.