Ran Masterworks DVD: how is the quality?

Old 06-16-03, 08:17 PM
Banned

Ran Masterworks DVD: how is the quality?

I had only read great reviews about this disc and about how much of an improvement it was over the original disc and was all set to buy it but I remember someone a few days ago either here or on hometheaterforum.com mentioning this disc in a thread about worst looking discs....

Can anyone that owns this disc comment on its' picture? I'm confused as to where that comment came from, I just checked out the dvdtalk.com review which said the picture quality was wonderful.

I'm a big fan of Kurosawa and was looking at trying to pick up this and Throne of Blood: Criterion Collection at the same time.

Thanks for any response!
Old 06-16-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...works+kurosawa

The picture is really dark and the colors look metallic. I hate it.
Old 06-16-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading all that just leaves me confused, so for now (unless I impulse buy it, or find it really cheap), I'm just keeping my crappy old version and hoping for a re-rerelease someday.
Old 06-16-03, 09:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Ginwen
Reading all that just leaves me confused, so for now (unless I impulse buy it, or find it really cheap), I'm just keeping my crappy old version and hoping for a re-rerelease someday.
me too. i thought about it for a really long time too, but i realized that i really enjoy the movie so much that the crappy foxlorber release doesn't really bother me that much.
Old 06-16-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it's anamorphic and it's better than the other crappy release. It's worth the upgrade for that alone. However, it still has some serious issues, as I posted in the thread that Matt925 posted the linkage for... EE out the wazoo, color timing, reel change marks, subtitle errors, etc...