Dragonheart rerelease - 8/12?

Old 06-14-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dragonheart rerelease - 8/12

I just was poking around the Universal site and noticed that they had both the dts and CE versions of Dragonheart listed as "Available for Purchase and Rent."

That didn't sound right, so I went over to DVDPriceSearch, and low and behold, DVDEmpire has both titles listed as a rerelease w/ a lower MSRP ($19.95) on 8-12-2003.

Now that I'm finally wired to the teeth, I can't wait to grab the dts version dirt cheap.

[edit]

Looks like DavisDVD has the information tucked away in their price-drop calendar as well, so consider it verified.

Last edited by BigPete; 06-14-03 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-14-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking at the specs for the two titles, there doesn't seem to be a single extra listed for the DTS version, but the SE seems to be jam-packed. I have had the DTS version on my wishlist for ages now, should I consider the DD version now? Are the extras that good? Is the spec sheet just short-changing the DTS version on extras? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-14-03, 03:32 PM

Typical Universal
Old 06-14-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Schmegga, I've only heard brilliant things about Dragonheart's ful-bitrate dts track.

Originally posted by Lovitz
Typical Universal
I'm not sure I understand. Is it because of their other pricedropped reissues? Every studio does that.

If anything, I hope it doesn't have a big photoshopped picture of Dennis Quaid on the cover now...
Old 06-16-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only reason to be mad at Universal for this one is if you like to corner the market on OOP titles for ebay. As far as everyone else is concerned, they are the same releases as before.
Old 06-16-03, 09:51 AM

I was referring to no extras on the DTS discs.
Old 06-16-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Lovitz
I was referring to no extras on the DTS discs.
Ahhh, ok. Makes more sense now.
Old 06-16-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhh, hmmmmm, I will have to decide if I want the DTS or the SE then. The SE seems packed with stuff. I guess I could always do a little one-buy double dip and get 'em both at the same time. That way I have all the extras and the DTS too. I might just have to do that, unless someone can reassure me that the extras aren't good enough to do such a thing.
Old 06-16-03, 07:29 PM

Sweeeeet! I borrowed a friends copy of the DTS version, and it's easily one of the best DVDs for audio I've seen. I'll definitely get it, and the CE as well if the extras are exceptional. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-16-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rehevkor
and the CE as well if the extras are exceptional.
They are.

This is one of those big fat LD boxed sets that made the port to DVD pretty much intact. There are better DVDs now, but back in the late 1990s, this one (along with 12 Monkeys and a couple of others) pretty much set the standard.
Old 06-17-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I might have to pick them both up then.