Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about Lucio Fulci's The Beyond

Old 06-15-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into renting this movie from greencine.com, but I heard that there is a severly edited version out there. This is the cover of the one that is shown at greencine.com. It goes by the title Seven Doors of Death:

Is this in fact the uncut version? How many other DVD releases of this movie are there?
Old 06-15-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Despite the 80 minute running time. It IS the uncut version of the film!

Sure it uses the '7 Doors' title which was what the heavily edited US R rated version was called.

Anyway i first saw the film with the above dvd since it was so cheap. I didn't want to shell out big bucks for the AB LE since the few Fulci films i saw before were mediocre at best.

Yet i ended up LOVING the film. It was so great,that i sold that copy off bought the AB LE. Worth every penny i spent on it(full retail!).

Anyway upon viewing the AB release which is 89 minutes. It was complete with everything that was in the '7 Doors' Diamond release!

Now some may be wondering how could the Diamond release be uncut,yet run 80 minutes?

Since it is obviouslly a bootleg of a international laserdisc/dvd of the film sourced from a PAL master. I'm sure thats what lead to the 80 minute running time with some weird conversion to NTSC-hybrid that ended up at only 80 minutes when complete. I don't know how to explain it myself. Yet it did run only 80 minutes,but was the complete version of the film & no new footage was in the 89 minute AB release. So the transfer speeds must have been off or something.

Anyway there are a total of 3 releases of the film in the US.

The above dvd.

The standard Anchorbay Release...& the Limited Edtion Tin which just comes with a few poster cards & illistrated booklet with Fulci interview/essay. Either(AB) version is worth picking up if you find it.
Old 06-15-03, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not sure how many dvd versions there are....I have the Anchor Bay release which is probably the version you would want to rent if it is available. AB released it with the title The Beyond.

The title "Seven Doors of Death" was the title originally used on the edited US vhs version of the film. but i've read that the cheapo dvd put out by diamond entertainment (i think it was them) used that title but the film is uncut. Not sure if it is widescreen though.

Rent the Anhcor Bay one though....had a really entertaining commentary and I thought the film looked really great.
Old 06-15-03, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Now some may be wondering how could the Diamond release be uncut,yet run 80 minutes?

Since it is obviouslly a bootleg of a international laserdisc/dvd of the film sourced from a PAL master. I'm sure thats what lead to the 80 minute running time with some weird conversion to NTSC-hybrid that ended up at only 80 minutes when complete. I don't know how to explain it myself. Yet it did run only 80 minutes,but was the complete version of the film & no new footage was in the 89 minute AB release. So the transfer speeds must have been off or something.
According to the review at DVD Maniacs, this disc runs at 84 minutes, not 80, and is uncut as it is bootlegged from a PAL laserdisc. Since PAL speedup would cause an 89 minute film to run at around 85 minutes (not anywhere near 80), this sounds about right.

DJ
Old 06-15-03, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the great info guys. I would rent the AB release, but greencine only has this diamond release (I'm using the free trial). If I were to end up buying the movie, I will definately seek out the AB one.
Old 06-15-03, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seek out the limited tin of this film. great for the collection.
Old 06-15-03, 03:06 PM

The 7 DOORS OF DEATH disc looks like ass compared to the Anchor Bay version. Not even worth a rental, IMO. You're better off finding the AB version to rent someplace else, rather than blowing your GreenCine fees on Diamond crap.
Old 06-15-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Sartana
The 7 DOORS OF DEATH disc looks like ass compared to the Anchor Bay version. Not even worth a rental, IMO. You're better off finding the AB version to rent someplace else, rather than blowing your GreenCine fees on Diamond crap.
You have any suggestions where I might find it to rent? Keep in mind I'm not paying for the DVDs from Greencine.
Old 06-15-03, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by caiman
You have any suggestions where I might find it to rent? Keep in mind I'm not paying for the DVDs from Greencine.
Not in Missouri I don't. I guess if you're not paying for GreenCine, then my point really doesn't matter. Just keep in mind that it isn't a very good disc. If you do decide to just buy the Anchor Bay version, Deep Discount has it for $13.20.
Old 06-16-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

overstock had the tin for like 4 dollars a year ago. i bought it even though i already had the standard AB release, which has since gone neglected on my trade list....
Old 06-16-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What does the tin have that the other AB editions don't?
Old 06-16-03, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by The Exister
What does the tin have that the other AB editions don't?
A tin case.

(See Julie Walker's post above.)
Old 06-16-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! (duh, I should actually read the entire thread next time)
Old 06-16-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
The "Beyond" tin also has six or so little 5x7 reproductions of international posters that weren't, to my knowledge, included in the SE.