Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves DTS out of Sync???

Old 06-11-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I need a little help from my fellow DVDtalkers. I watched this movie last night and during the scene when Will Scarlet tells Robin Hood that they are brothers, the DTS track went completely out of sync by a second or two. Looked like a kung fu movie. IT stayed out of sync and I eventually switched to the DD track which worked fine.

Anyone else have this problem with the DTS track?
Old 06-11-03, 11:27 AM

I noticed a few lines here and there that appeared out of synch.
Old 06-11-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife noticed this when we were watching the movie last night. I just switched the audio track to DD and finished the movie out as well.
Old 06-11-03, 01:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Geez. First Die Another Day has DTS sync problems, and now Robin Hood. Bad month for DTS.
Old 06-11-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, how much of difference did you notice in the DTS to Dolby track? Was it total day and night or was it slight?
Old 06-11-03, 02:32 PM

I actually thought that they both sucked. Very low volume. I had to turn the sound very high just to be able to get an acceptable sound level.

The DD track, what little of it I ended up hearing, did sound a bit flatter than the DTS. However, I am far from a sound expert as I just recently got a surround system.
Old 06-11-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played a few scenes last night, and I thought the DTS was weak, as well (the music comes across well, the dialog just seemed...lacking). Very disappointing. The video was also a bit sub-par. Darks were too black, and the colors looked a bit washed out. I guess I was hoping for a better restoration on a film that grossed 400+ million in the theaters.
Old 06-11-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by valkyrie
I guess I was hoping for a better restoration on a film that grossed 400+ million in the theaters.
I'm guessing that's the world wide take?
Old 06-11-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing that's the world wide take?
Yes, I believe it is. It "only" made about $165 million here in the US, putting at the 85th top grossing movie of all time, though.

Still, either way...it's a shame it didn't get a better restoration.
Old 06-11-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointing news.
Old 06-11-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm kind of glad I passed on this now. Had it in my hand at BB but I think it would have been an not-so-good impulse buy. I'm just tired of movies like Old School and even Robin Hood getting DTS (although it's obviously not good if it's out of sync) while movies like Black Hawk Down do not... More DTS is good, poorly done DTS is not...
Old 06-11-03, 04:12 PM

I'm just tired of movies like Old School and even Robin Hood getting DTS (although it's obviously not good if it's out of sync) while movies like Black Hawk Down do not...
I think you get either THX or DTS, but not both since Lucasfilm has a stake in Dolby. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-11-03, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by C Roberts
I think you get either THX or DTS, but not both since Lucasfilm has a stake in Dolby. I could be wrong though.
Fox Five Star Collection releases are THX certified and have DTS, and the T2 Ultimate and Extreme releases also have both. Those are the only ones I know of, though.

Last edited by Rehevkor; 06-11-03 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally posted by Rehevkor
Fox Five Star Collection releases are THX certified and have DTS, and the T2 Ultimate and Extreme releases also have both. Those are the only ones I know of, though.
Actually, the T2 Extreme DVD does not have DTS sound, only the Ultimate Edition.
Old 06-11-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to mention the disappointing transfer on Robin Hood: SE. Worst $20 I've ever spent.
Old 06-11-03, 07:14 PM
dgc

Maybe I won't open my copy and just return it.
Old 06-11-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Re: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves DTS out of Sync???

Originally posted by sherm42
Anyone else have this problem with the DTS track?
It looks like there is a small delay in the DTS track at the spot you mentioned...but not a second or two; that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Hardly a "kung fu film". I don't know if this was the only spot or not, and to be honest, I wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't read about it here. Which brings me to my next thing:

Why does everyone seem to gripe about all the things a release isn't, instead of what it is? Sure, it may not have been the best transfer, but do we know what they had to work with? So the sound was out of synch in that spot...whoop-de-do. We are talking about Kevin Costner's Robin Hood here. I don't think they really cared about taking the time and money to make sure we all had a pristine, crystal-clear picture to look at, nor making sure we were able to follow Christian Slater's brother-babble without worrying if his lips matched the dialog...this conversation was hardly a turning point in cinematic history.

It's a nice package...a halfway-decent movie, good enough picture, good sound and nice extra-features. I can't speak for everyone else, but my glass is half full here.
Old 06-11-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves DTS out of Sync???

Originally posted by The_Infidel
It looks like there is a small delay in the DTS track at the spot you mentioned...but not a second or two; that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Hardly a "kung fu film". ...
This is similar to what I found in the Bond flick. To tell you the truth, the only place that I really noticed the off-sync in Bond is when he and "Jinx" were speaking for the first time at the Cuban bar. There were very close-up shots of the faces at this time, and it was quite noticeable, even though just a hair off. I never even noticed it at any time after that. I have yet to look at my Robin Hood disc yet.
Old 06-12-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually curious as to why problems like this are found in new releases. Do studios not check their DVDs at all before putting them in stores? Or do they simply do a cursory check, and miss these faults? Or perhaps they notice it but release it anyway thinking the DVD buyers don't care. Really, I just can't understand why there's always something wrong with these dvds. Where's quality control?

Am I pissed? Yep.
Old 06-12-03, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by uteotw
I'm kind of glad I passed on this now. Had it in my hand at BB but I think it would have been an not-so-good impulse buy. I'm just tired of movies like Old School and even Robin Hood getting DTS (although it's obviously not good if it's out of sync) while movies like Black Hawk Down do not... More DTS is good, poorly done DTS is not...
What is wrong with the Dolbt Digital track on Black Hawk Down?
Old 06-12-03, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
What is wrong with the Dolby Digital track on Black Hawk Down?
I'm sure his point was that we were deprived of the legendary DTS track that the rest of the world has heard, not that the DD was anything to sneeze at.

Personally, about this Robin Hood release; as long as it surpasses the original disc, I'll be happy with it.
Old 06-12-03, 10:25 AM

The DTS is lacking, I agree. However, as far as the transfer parts of it are gorgeous and parts of it are washed out. It's a mixed bag. However, I'd say it was $20 dollars well spent as I personally enjoy he movie.
Old 06-12-03, 11:47 AM

Now I'm not sure if I even want to open mine or return it. I would be happy if its at least got a good DD track though. How is that?
Old 06-12-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I'm sure his point was that we were deprived of the legendary DTS track that the rest of the world has heard, not that the DD was anything to sneeze at.
That was my point exactly. As somewhat of a DTS whore it just bothers me that Adaptation as DTS but Best Sound-winning guns blazing Black Hawk Down R1 3-disc SE does not.

As for Robin Hood I'm glad I passed. Maybe a rental...
Old 06-12-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by uteotw
That was my point exactly. As somewhat of a DTS whore it just bothers me that Adaptation as DTS but Best Sound-winning guns blazing Black Hawk Down R1 3-disc SE does not.

As for Robin Hood I'm glad I passed. Maybe a rental...
They have to get you to buy the Superbit title somehow don't they?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.