Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with some of these DVD cases?

Old 06-09-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After picking up Dumb and Dumber yesterday, in the new, non-snap WB case, I realized how much more durable the case was and decided to randomly check out the rest of my collection and see how they were holding up.

I found that, A) every Warner Bros. title I owned in those terrible paper/snap cases had a huge dent, mark on them and also, B) every DVD in a paper thin case (BHD Deluxe DVD, Pulp Fiction: SE) were totally bent, ruined etc.

Now I know wear and tear is normal, but c'mon, every other case (the normal ones) was fine...and I treat my DVDs with ridiculous care like most here.

When are the studios going to catch on, especially Warner Bros?
Old 06-09-03, 01:20 PM

Well... I gotta ask... what are you doing to your "paper" cases that damages them so much? I'm not a fan of them, ... but they stay in fine shape for me. What exactly is damaging them?
Old 06-09-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of my snappers and slipcases are in mint condition, don't really understand everyone's problem with them.
Old 06-09-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guess I'm not being careful enough....but still, I am pretty anal about keeping them all in good shape, and the paper/snap ones or paper cover ones don't hold up at all.
Old 06-09-03, 02:36 PM

On a sort of related note, did anybody notice how the back of dumb and dumber still lists "available on Image laserdisc"? I just thought it was kind of funny.
Old 06-09-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats with the constant bitching about cases and big-headed covers? I've collected 1,000 discs over the last few years, and not one of my cases have become damaged....except for that idiotic T2 Extreme blunder. anyone else molesting your dvds or even just touching them? I just dont see the problem, I'm sorry.
Old 06-09-03, 05:08 PM

haha i don't understand it either. the only cardboard case i've had damaged is my copy of Unbreakable after my roommate thought it would be ok to let the upstairs neighbors borrow MY dvd. i think someone partially stepped on it but caught themselves so they didn't totally bust it. other than that my cases are mint. are you learning how to juggle with dvds?
Old 06-09-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,917 Likes on 4,038 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
[B]whats with the constant bitching about cases and big-headed covers? I've collected 1,000 discs over the last few years, and not one of my cases have become damaged....except for that idiotic T2 Extreme blunder. anyone else molesting your dvds or even just touching them?
Well, my 2 yr old daughter likes to hold the cases and chew on them until the paper sleeves are all soggy. She totally messed up the case for Mickey Mouse in Living Color But I can't really blame the studios for that, I guess.

BTW, what are the new WB cases like?
Old 06-09-03, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Going w/ the majority here, I have to disagree w/ you man. All my paper/card board cases are still in mint condition as the day they left the factory. Fight Club, Se7en, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, Tombstone, LOTR:FOTR EE, Austin Powers 1&2, Matrix, Blade... Hell, even my Meet Joe Black Ultimate Ed w/ the plastic case still looks damn good. But of course I don't lend those out.

I gotta vote for user error on this one.
Old 06-09-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Well, my 2 yr old daughter likes to hold the cases and chew on them until the paper sleeves are all soggy.
that sounds like what my baby Rottweiler does to everything but the dvds. 2 year old daughter....3 month old pup...whats the diff?
Old 06-09-03, 05:42 PM

I don't mind snappers, but I do wish they were more durable. THe same with the "special edition" cases like Pulp Fiction. I lent Citizen Kane to someone and he ruined the case in a day.

Also my TV box sets have been taken very good care of, but the packages still have a few marks and dents that were there when bought new (even though I looked for the best set in the store).
Old 06-09-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
anyone else molesting your dvds or even just touching them?
For some unaccountable reason, I find that sentence extremely funny.

Rule One: DON'T lend DVDs to anybody. Ever.

As far as snappers and slippers go: they're cheap and rotten, but you just have to deal and try to be careful.
Old 06-09-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wish my Dumb and Dumber wasn't in a snapper.

Old 06-09-03, 06:07 PM
Rest in Peace

I only ran over 2 empty cases since 1997, when I drink I stay in my day chair.
Besides Ball buster has the cases 5 for $1. All you do is echange the discs and outside cover art to the ball buster disc. I found that with a bit of steady paitience I can get my speedy 4.5 MPH scooter thru the 2 doors.

Maneuver down the isles and look thru the barrel of empty DVD or Vhs casses I get get Black, White or light Blue keepcases 5 for $1. So wheres the beef, at 20 a piece I can run over quite a few before crying in my root beer. I was a once professional Tractor Trailer driver, so I can easily maneuver a scooter narrower, than my regular wheelchair.

P.S. Blockbuster is only 1.9 miles from my house and it only takes 1 hour and 08 minutes to get there, cost of ride 32..4 hours at 8 a kilowatt of my onboard charger. No License, Insurance, Gas, or Maintainence just electricity in my 2 12V gell batterys replaced every 2 years at $55 a battery by a factory authorised mechanic that does house calls.
Old 06-09-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You sure are one of a kind Danol.
Old 06-09-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by danol
P.S. Blockbuster is only 1.9 miles from my house and it only takes 1 hour and 08 minutes to get there, cost of ride 32..4 hours at 8 a kilowatt of my onboard charger. No License, Insurance, Gas, or Maintainence just electricity in my 2 12V gell batterys replaced every 2 years at $55 a battery by a factory authorised mechanic that does house calls.
This is literally the funniest post I have EVER read here in four years. Thank you.
Old 06-10-03, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by danol
...... when I drink.....
Maybe that explains his posts
Old 06-10-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What's the deal with some of these DVD cases?

"What's the deal with some of these DVD cases?"

That's gold Jerry!!! Gold!!!
Old 06-10-03, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts
So what's with all of the newfound love for snappers and other paperboard cases?

I always got the impression they were generally reviled because they were easily damaged.
Old 06-10-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somebody always wants to play Devil's Advocate.
Old 06-10-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my biggest problem is I don't like how the different cases look together on the shelf. I've put all the snappers in a section (alphabetically), all the digipacks in their own section (alphabetically) and all the keep cases in their own section (alphabetically). That's my only gripe about the different kinds of cases. But I'm probably just weird. In fact, I know I am.
Old 06-10-03, 01:13 PM

My cases are all in great shape. I also have a 4 yr old & a 2 yr old who like to play with them. Ack! But still - no terribly damaged cases on my end...