Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

T2 Case and Widescreen (the dreaded black bars)

T2 Case and Widescreen (the dreaded black bars)

Old 06-09-03, 12:56 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey people i have a question..
ok i ordered my my EE copy from amazon.com (25$) it'll be arriving within the week i hopoe...anyways i dont have a widescreen tv...i have a SA-HT67 dvd home theater system..does um this T2 EE come as a full screen? or widescreen?..if it comes in widescreen wat do i do to make it fit better...
PLEASE REPLY TO ME :-(
Old 06-09-03, 01:36 AM
Cool New Member

SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY TO MY QUESTION and also what does anamorphic(16:9) mean?
Old 06-09-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rooooooof, you will see the movie as a normal widescreen. Anamorphic does not mean anything to you, since you don't have a 16:9 TV, unless your a TV has the ability to emulate a 16:9 by "squeezing" the picture.

So the picture should just be a beautiful widescreen image and you will have no problems.

By the way, it would make more sense to post the questions in the right forum. Since this thread was *something* about a Stupid T2:E Case... and your question really is about how anamorphic works or what it means.

Secondly, PLEASE have a little patience. The beauty of a forum is you can ask a question, and as people log on, they will answer it. But not everyone will, and not everyone reads all the threads right away.
Old 06-09-03, 02:01 AM
Cool New Member

lol ur not reading my post..i said i dont have a widescreen TV..plz god i dont want Bars when im watching this/.....am i gonna see bars i dont have a widescreen TV
Old 06-09-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I read your post just fine. You didn't read mine.

I will repeat.

Since you don't have a widescreen TV, the movie will come out as a normal widescreen movie. And yes, that means "black bars."

What can you do?

Your choices are:

1. Get a widescreen TV.
2. Get a TV that can do squeeze.
3. Zoom in the picture and cut off the sides (horrible idea).
4. Pay someone else to do the cutting and buy pan and scan.
5. Turn the lights down, ignore the bars, and watch the movie as it was shown in the theaters.

I suggest option 5.

Read here-
http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

http://www.widescreenadvocate.org/whatis.html
Old 06-09-03, 02:14 AM
Cool New Member

uh oh..this is gonan be a problem....i have 10'' TV..im not one to complian but ill be looking at a 5'' screen..(i might be exaggerating maybe by 5'', but either way u think im gonna have a problem????)
Old 06-09-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to watch WS on my 9" TV. Not a problem. I watch WS now on a 5" LCD monitor on my portable DVD. Not a problem. Now, the problem is your distance from the screen. That is not a problem with WS or not, it's a problem with a damn small set and how far back you sit. Plus it really messes up the home theater sound when your nose is close to the screen. But I am assuming this 10" bad boy is not hooked up to a digital sound system?

By the way, may I suggest that with today's TV prices, one could not buy a few DVDs and be able to get a new set?

(note to self.. IPchk)
Old 06-09-03, 02:25 AM
Cool New Member

i have a surround sound system (a panasonic SA-HT67)...the sound is like awsome..my room is relatively small so only maybe 4 feet away from this small tv screen..and how much would a new Widescreen tv (nothing special) cost me...
and by the way..i am gonna try and take this T2 movie out the case without ripping anything..i have this feeling everyone here like messed up..ad that im not..although alot of other people thought that too lol
Old 06-09-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I split this off because we are not discussing the T2 case for the most part.

My recommendation is to use the links I provided and learn about widescreen. And then work to ignore it and enjoy the movie. Most people over the years, have done that and changed their point of view on the movie.

I was not recommending with my last post you buy a WS TV. I do not know your budget, but normally a 10" TV indicates it's limited. If that is the case, I would suggest a good 19" or 25" or so TV. You can get those very cheap and the WS movies would be very watchable on those. The black bars are no different than if it was a WS TV (for the most part). See, it's more about you thinking the screen is "wasted" or blocking something. If you took that WS image and put it on a screen the same size, problem solved? Just ignore the space without an image. Just like you don't watch the cabinet on the TV or the walls around it when you watch a movie.
Old 06-09-03, 02:37 AM
Cool New Member

i read the links u sent me..they both have convinced me that A.)widescreen shows "more" but the cost is that it is smaller...B.)Get a new TV...my budget is not limited..its my parents' restrictions...i mean i have 25 DVD movies....and a 400 dollar dvd system..and a grrr whats my point...oh yeah..money isnt the problem
Old 06-09-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, Mr. Roof. There's a very useful thread for Forum Newcomers and it'll help you out a lot as you embark on your venture into DVD collecting.

Frequent Topics and Newcomer Help

Scroll down to "Aspect Ratios, Widescreen, 16x9". It'll tell you all you need to know.

Remember the old maxim: Aspect ratio is not about MORE image or LESS image. It's about the CORRECT image. I hope you jin most of us in the opinion that OAR is better.

Originally posted by ROOOOOF
hey people i have a question..
ok i ordered my my EE copy from amazon.com (25$) it'll be arriving within the week i hopoe...anyways i dont have a widescreen tv...i have a SA-HT67 dvd home theater system..does um this T2 EE come as a full screen? or widescreen?..if it comes in widescreen wat do i do to make it fit better...
PLEASE REPLY TO ME :-(
Danol has competition...
Old 06-09-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouch. Too bad.

So you don't have access to watch movies on their TV? Or are you saying their TV is only 10"?
Old 06-09-03, 02:55 AM
Cool New Member

no my tv (which has the theater system hooked up to it) is only 10''...theirs is like 27''..but it doesnt have a dvd player...
Old 06-09-03, 03:08 AM
Cool New Member

well anyways..i just realized that i have the matrix on dvdv...and its just fine even tho its widescreen so whatever..bte thank you both so much..u really have changed my perspective...
Old 06-09-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are welcome. Now go teach your parents that they need to hook up that TV to a DVD player and a good sound system.
Old 06-09-03, 03:41 AM

I would always watch dvds on my cheap 19 inch tv hooked up to my sound system. Now I watch them on a 35 inch tv with stock speakers. I have to say that I'd rather watch my movies on my 19inch with my receiver and speakers hooked up. The screen never seemed too small. Its not always about size, it how you put it to use.
Old 06-09-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ROOOOF...also paying $25 for T2:EE is a bit much. I've been seeing it go for $19 at Costco, Circuit City and Wal-Mart. And some other people have been saying they've been getting it for $15. Amazon is good but sometimes they don't have the BEST prices.

Also, I would concentrate on getting a bigger screen. You can buy 27" TVs for $300 and less. Does your Panasonic have component video? If it does, then you should get a TV that can support it. And I think your setup would be complete with a larger screen.
Old 06-09-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn, only 10 inches, get a bigger set or sit closer to the tv, you don't need a widescreen tv just like a 27 inch tv and some dvd players zoom to get rid of the bars,
Old 06-09-03, 09:25 AM

10 inches is great... but not in terms of a tv.
Old 06-09-03, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

lol...."10 inches is great..but not in terms of tv" lol thats was the funniest thing i have heard today...LOL
Old 06-09-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for some reason don't buy this thread at all...

But leave it to the late night DVDtalk crew when all the "aficionados" have hit the hay to handle a situation with grace instead of putting in the annoying cliche "Search if your friend...search is good..."
Old 06-09-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys, I think Mr. Roooof is taking you for a little ride.
Don't feed the ....

Doug
Old 06-09-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I paid $14.99 for T2:EE from Target - would have been $14.49 if I had price-matched at BestBuy or CircuitCity. $25 is waaaay too much. Amazon is rarely ever even close to having the best price nowadays, and their customer service has gone down the tube too, so there is rarely a reason to buy from them.
Old 06-09-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Doug Schiller
Guys, I think Mr. Roooof is taking you for a little ride.
Don't feed the ....

Doug
I 2nd that! This has gotta be a ride.
Old 06-09-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
(note to self.. IPchk)
That's what I was thinking after just a couple of his posts...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.